1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Done Crying!!!!!! Broke Timing Belt

I want an 07' I want I want!!!
    Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Not Done Crying!!!!!! Broke Timing Belt

:cry: :cry: :cry: Let this be a warning for others. I have a 01 tundra V8, with 279k on it. I drive it everywhere for work and do maintenance regularly. I had a brain fart for some reason, and thought I was within my max milage for changing my timing belt. Well, I was wrong, I was 8k over the recommended interval change. Anyways, I was doing 98 mph up a grade overtaking five cars, yes I drive like a mad man, but you have to when you are passing up a mountain. I got to the last car and "chunk-chunk", a very quiet "chunk-chunk" and then the engine died. Luckily I had my electronic engine code checker with me and it said a P0161, which I thought was a mixture problem. To be sure I had the truck towed to toyota without restarting it figuring I would do more damage if it was something greater. When I got to the dealer I realized I was overdue on my belt, and realized I had f'd up big time. Well they are peeling it open, but I am not sure I will fix it. I am now deciding whether to drop a used engine in, the truck is flawless in mint condition, well maintained, I can get a 40k for $1250.00 from a good friend who owns a large truck wrecking yard or buy a new one. This sucks!!! Anyways, moral of the story is when they say change it by a certain milage I recommend doing it!:cry: :cry: :cry: PS: For those of you who wonder it is a detonation engine, and I think Toyota sucks for this!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    88 times
    Images

Default Re: Not Done Crying!!!!!! Broke Timing Belt

Man......that sucks......did your truck have 279K miles on the original belt or was it changed a couple of times? Did it beat the valves and pistons to death?
    Just wondering....

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.
    TheGryme Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
    '04 Tundra DC
    Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
    '12 Camry SE
    Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged....Stock......For Now!
    '92 4Runner
    Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
    '04 YZ250F
    Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
    '87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.

Liked
    0 times

No, definetly not the original belt. I always serviced/changed everything at recommended intervals. Waiting for call to see how beat to death the engine is.:cry:

Liked
    0 times
    Images

What happened sucks but it would be a perfect time to drop an new VVT-i I-Force engine in there.

"You play the hand you're dealt. I think the game's worthwhile." -C. S. Lewis

Liked
    1 times

That sucks man. Thanks for the heads up! 279k and this is the worst anything has happened? Man i love toyota's! Ohh cuesta grade?

Go to JSIMotorSports.com for billet window hinges.
    NOW IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP

Liked
    0 times

Damn -- only 9K over...that ain't a lot of margin. Hope you didn't trash the engine, but a break at 90mph doesn't bode well for the valves and pistons.

Was the last change a Toyota belt (Banda, I think, these days), Gates, or another brand?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

my 96 avalon has 42,000 miles when i got it and now it has 266,000 miles and still the same belt, but the intake manifold is apart now due to a knock sensor going bad. but since i'm in there might as well change all the belts and the bypass hose inside the intake manifold, i'm i lucky???

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by uglyhmong
    my 96 avalon has 42,000 miles when i got it and now it has 266,000 miles and still the same belt, but the intake manifold is apart now due to a knock sensor going bad. but since i'm in there might as well change all the belts and the bypass hose inside the intake manifold, i'm i lucky???
    Yeah, you're lucky -- that a 60K mile maintenance item on that engine -- you should be on your 4th timing belt by now. Although it's not an interference engine, so you wouldn't trash the engine replacing it. You're going to have lot deeper than the intake manifold to replace the timing belt, 'tho.

Liked
    0 times

i bet toyota will charge you an arm and a leg to rebuild the interfearance mishap. id go see your friend about that motor. if it is the right year, it should just drop right in and you ar good to go. heck, while its out, might as well change the belt too. couldnt hurt. time or miles, which ever comes first when it comes to rubber parts.
    ps: congrats on the hi milage truck. way to go toyota. i only hope mine will perform as well as yours.
    MODS: (TRD Urban package) - tint, stereo, jack-in-the box antennae ball, and my middle finger.

~ been there, done that, got the panties ~

Liked
    88 times
    Images

Hmmmmmmm.....how often were you replacing your T-belt?
    According to Toyota, on my '04 it is a 90K item. (so is the '01)
    Toyota Parts and Service

Just wondering.....

Did you get any estimates from Toyo yet? How about pics...
    TheGryme Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
    '04 Tundra DC
    Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
    '12 Camry SE
    Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged....Stock......For Now!
    '92 4Runner
    Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
    '04 YZ250F
    Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
    '87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by hill8570
    Damn -- only 9K over...that ain't a lot of margin.
    My sentiments exactly. I had about 110K on mine when I first changed it, and my butt didn't start to pucker until the service advisor said that he's seen a few come in with blown engines just over 100K. 98mph ain't exactly babying it after all (though I won't lecture cuz I've done the same thing). I'd be willing to wager a bet that something else came apart and caused it to look like a belt failure. Sometimes if an internal part goes, the resultant mess can be hard to analayze for point of failure, and the belt could be an innocent bystander. It often looks like someone threw a grenade into a box of scrap and everything is trashed.

I am really sorry to hear this, but you did get 279K out of the thing, that's really good. It gives the rest of us leadfoots something to think about. If you can help the rest of us out, by getting the belt (hopefully through one of the large gaping holes in the timing belt cover or block) and letting us know what brand it is, some here might benefit from it. Can you say for sure if it was OEM?
    Mike D

Lost traction? Lock it up!!! Front locker install instructions here: http://www.teddnet.com/LockRightInstall.pdf

2000 Tundra with 175,000 miles and still going!

Upgrades: PA 3" Body Lift, Powertrax No-Slip rear, Detroit ezLocker front, Fabtech/Fox front, Wheeler's AALs, TC Front Diff Drop, 16 x 8 MB Wheels, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs, Pioneer Head Unit, Infiniti Reference speakers [front and rear], 150 W bridged amp to bandpass enclosure, 6 CD changer with IR remote, iPod mini and xm hardwired into stereo, Toyota drop in bedliner, and Tonneau cover

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Don't give up hope yet. I broke a belt in a honda going 70 mph. I assumed it was gone. I was in the middle of ordering a new head when the tech called me and told me that they found no damage - and it is an interfernce engine.

I was 10K over the honda spec (not to be confused with dealer specs that are bogusly low). The mech told me that he is amazed at how often the belts give out just a few thousand miles over the spec.

Liked
    0 times

Are you SURE there's an interference problem? I would be very surprised if the 4.7L did that. Wait to hear what the shop says.
    2005 Tundra Access Cab 4x4 4.7L - BFG ATs on MT Classic Locks - Warn M8000

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Tundra
    Are you SURE there's an interference problem? I would be very surprised if the 4.7L did that. Wait to hear what the shop says.
    It's well known that the 4.7L iForce V8 is an interference engine.

Liked
    0 times

Red face Re: Not Done Crying!!!!!! Broke Timing Belt

FYI, it is an interference engine, saw the damage first hand. I replaced my belts every 60k, but guess what gave out, the timing belt tensioner, not the belt. The belt was loose enough to have the pistons slam 10 of the valves and bend them. I had three choices, buy a new truck, which I can't because the new redesign is yet to be released, buy a rebuilt, or fix it. Since option 1 is out, I checked into option 2. My buddy owns a large truck wrecking yard and would give me an engine with low mileage for 1500k. I would then have to replace certain elements, not knowing the condition, timing belt, oil pump, etc as I always like to error on the safe side. Total bill close to 5k, and an uncertain feeling on the engine and its quality, i.e. was redlined, oil changed, etc. The last option, have Toyota fix it. A complete top end rebuild, and major service. Total bill, $ 4,100.00, not as bad as I thought. I did this for one main reason. I tore the whole engine apart, and mic'd everything, and unbelievably everything shows hardly any wear and is way within tolerance. I figure it is better to keep with what I know, and I should not have any problems. It was funny to see almost no carbon buildup on the pistons, running 87, and no ring wear marks in the walls of the cylinder holes. Everything underside was immaculate, so that was great. Well today I am going to get my baby back, and yes keep driving 80-90 mph. She has served me well and figure I can keep her running until the new Tundra’s come out! As far as the moral of this story goes, I'd say, replace the belt at 60-70k as I did, and make sure to REPLACE THE TIMMING BELT TENSIONER!!!!!! The oil changes between 3 and 5k have paid off in keeping the truck like new. FYI, I don't burn oil or blow smoke, except when the wheels are screeching! PS: I have been driving a rental car, Toyota Yaris, getting 30 plus mpg, and am going to hate going back to 8 dollar fillups

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.