3.4L V6 TRD Superchargers

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.4L V6 TRD Superchargers

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Upgrades to 3.4L Supercharger...

I was talking to a dealer about work being done on the 3.4L Supercharger... He said TRD is developing a 7th injector on it to address the pinging issues. Anyone have more info on this, or when this new charger will be coming out? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

hmm... never heard of that. Maybe they're finally sick and tired of hearing the v'6ers complaining about the pinging. Last time I've heard from them was to downgrade to a larger s/c pulley. Yeah, ok, they can blow me.

Liked
    0 times

I had the V6 supercharger on my old 2001 Tacoma. My s/c didn't ping at all except in a high gear/low rpm situation. I've found that people expect the s/c to perform 110% perfect all the time. Not going to happen. I used premium fuel, ran the stock s/c, avoided high gear/low rpm, and my charger ran like a champ. Many forums I've read in the past have always speculated about the 3.4L s/c getting an extra injector. My only question would be this. Why would TRD spend the extra time re-developing the 3.4L s/c when the 4runner and eventually the Tacoma will be going to the new 4.0L? I'll speculate that the 3.4L s/c stays the same and TRD develops a s/c for the 4.0L with an extra injector. Who knows? Doesn't matter anymore to me because I have a V8 now.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Upgrades to 3.4L Supercharger...

Originally posted by GuardianED
    I was talking to a dealer about work being done on the 3.4L Supercharger... He said TRD is developing a 7th injector on it to address the pinging issues. Anyone have more info on this, or when this new charger will be coming out? Thanks.
    Is there any update heard on this issue yet? (not just speculation)
    Account no longer active.

Liked
    0 times

I,ve had my s/c for about 8 months now on my 02 4runner and i noticed today that the belt is rugged on the edge. it looks like its just a little offset from the alternator and its rubbing the edge. is anybody else having this prob.?

by the way i miss my tundra so the 4runner is 4sale. send me a private message for picks.

Liked
    96 times

Default 3.4L V6 TRD Superchargers

1st gen silver vs. 2nd gen black - pro's and con's.
    What can you tell me?

Thanks

2002 REGULAR CAB - LONG BED - 4WD - V8 - SR5

Liked
    34 times

Default 1st/2nd

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62mm
    1st gen silver vs. 2nd gen black - pro's and con's.
    What can you tell me?

Thanks

1st gen S/C are bigger, uglier and noisier (sounds like a HOG EATIN ROCKS)than the 2nd gen's. THE 1ST GEN does not have a adjustable belt tensioner, it uses a FMU (fuel managment unit), that was determined not be needed later on.The vacu lines are a mess to run.

The 2nd Gen is a smaller sleeker design that is so quiet compared to the old one. It has a adjustable belt tensioner and is upgradable with a 7th injector
    to help cure the pinging problem some people have. It is also more appealing to look at.
    Hope this helps
    Victor

Liked
    96 times

Quote Originally Posted by mustang67408
    1st gen S/C are bigger, uglier and noisier (sounds like a HOG EATIN ROCKS)than the 2nd gen's. THE 1ST GEN does not have a adjustable belt tensioner, it uses a FMU (fuel managment unit), that was determined not be needed later on.The vacu lines are a mess to run.

The 2nd Gen is a smaller sleeker design that is so quiet compared to the old one. It has a adjustable belt tensioner and is upgradable with a 7th injector
    to help cure the pinging problem some people have. It is also more appealing to look at.
    Hope this helps
    Victor
    That's what I was looking for, thanks.

Liked
    34 times

Default 1/2

That's what I was looking for, thanks.
    Your Welcome
    Victor

Liked
    96 times

Your Welcome
    Victor
    Victor,

Do you have any experience installing an SC on a pre-'97 T100?
    I have a '96 w/auto tans., and have been told the SC will not work as advertised due to ECU issues.

Since I'm selling my Tundra, I want to enhance my T100.

Thanks again.

Liked
    34 times

Default S/c

Victor,

Do you have any experience installing an SC on a pre-'97 T100?
    I have a '96 w/auto tans., and have been told the SC will not work as advertised due to ECU issues.

Since I'm selling my Tundra, I want to enhance my T100.

Thanks again.
    They are correct, The S/C WILL NOT work on your T-100. The ecu is not able to handle it. Your truck will PING<KNOCK<fart <cough<snort and maybe even roll over. Please do not install it. I have done many S/C install on all sorts of Toyotas.
    I have had to tell 2 people so far that the S/C they had installed at their home, should not have been installed. That is bad for the DEaler that sold it to them, they should have known better.
    Sorrry to burst your bubble,
    Let me know anything i can do to help
    Victor

Liked
    96 times

Default No bubble to bust here, but thanks for the honest truth.

...Your truck will PING<KNOCK<fart <cough<snort and maybe even roll over. Victor
    LOL!

I guess my current TRD headers and Flowmaster cat-back will be the end of my performance mods...

Thanks again.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by POOH71580
    I,ve had my s/c for about 8 months now on my 02 4runner and i noticed today that the belt is rugged on the edge. it looks like its just a little offset from the alternator and its rubbing the edge. is anybody else having this prob.?

by the way i miss my tundra so the 4runner is 4sale. send me a private message for picks.
    Did you ever sell the 4 Runner and get a Tundra?

Jeff

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

I guess my current TRD headers and Flowmaster cat-back will be the end of my performance mods...
    Have you got photos of all your mods for us to drool over? (at least we can live vicariously through those who have the S/C!)

Also - did you get the 7th injector kit - looks like an additional $1200 or so.

Thanks - Jeff

Liked
    96 times

Quote Originally Posted by PXLpainter
    Have you got photos of all your mods for us to drool over? (at least we can live vicariously through those who have the S/C!)

Also - did you get the 7th injector kit - looks like an additional $1200 or so.

Thanks - Jeff
    Jeff, I have a few photos on my web site and yes, I will post some new ones soon - now that I have a new camera
    As for the SC, I don't have one. I can't have one. Victor confirmed my '96 ECU will not recognize the added blower and cause many problems... '97 + '98 T100's can use the SC, they have a different ECU.
    Anyway, that's $4K I can spend on other mods

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.