More boost wanted on my 4.7 how??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jamesjr4750

Thread: More boost wanted on my 4.7 how??

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default More boost wanted on my 4.7 how??

Well it's been awhile since I visited here, been busy with my 2001 MR2 supercharged project.
    I installed my s/c two years ago with no problems it has been running great. I still have to do the valve body upgrade. As of now I only see 6 psi and would love 8 or so. I have searched and searched for pulley options. I read about a smaller crank pulley for the 4.7 but I've never found one, plenty of larger ones but that would slow down the pulleys lessening the boost. So what can I do or what has somebody out there done to increase their boost?
    Stumped
    Cuz stock sucks
    2000 Tundra: TRD S/C, unichip, full dual exhaust, cold air intake, custom fuel system, locker, lifted, air bags, valve body mod... It never ends

2001 MR2 Spyder: Rotrex S/C, Apexi ECU, euro 6spd, BC coil overs, cusco bars, Che bracing, Corky's bracing, custom exhaust, Scion HD.

1972, 1976, 1977- Celica's - sadly deceased

1972 Chevelle SS- LS5- sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    296 times
    Images

Default Re: More boost wanted on my 4.7 how??

Increasing boost can be done, but, I would ask the following first:

Why or what do you want to accomplish going to 8+ boost?

Your tranny is still stock?

Are you running any LSD unit or open diff?

What SC are you running?

What ECU add-on are you running right now?

I would not add boost just to add boost, unless you have a plan on how it comes together.
    JB

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD (Ivan) in Sunfire Red Pearl.

Long mod list, but, have some pics in my gallery here

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have already asked the questions and have decided that I still want more boost. Everything else is what is needed after more boost. This is not my first rodeo, and I know the risks involved with increasing boost above the factory settings. For now I would just like to know where to get the parts needed. If not I will have a custom pulley built for the crankshaft a little larger to increase the boost that way. Once I have the parts I will then look at all other items needed to keep it all working. However I'm not going to start looking at other items if I can't get the parts to increase the boost without going custom.
    Thanks for the input.
    Cuz stock sucks
    2000 Tundra: TRD S/C, unichip, full dual exhaust, cold air intake, custom fuel system, locker, lifted, air bags, valve body mod... It never ends

2001 MR2 Spyder: Rotrex S/C, Apexi ECU, euro 6spd, BC coil overs, cusco bars, Che bracing, Corky's bracing, custom exhaust, Scion HD.

Liked
    175 times

My advice is:

First. Get a Dyno Tuner you know and trust to do what you are about to do.
    Establish some stock dyno numbers and see where the truck stands.
    Figure out what kind of piggyback you want to use.

I got more boost immediately upon installing my Volant intake and JBA headers.
    Boost with the Unichip/stock intake/JBA headers/Spintech Muffler was 6.97 max at 5000-5200 RPM's and 5-6 lbs max until then.
    With the addition of ONLY a Volant intake and tweaking supercharger injector(s) flow to seal the rotors increased boost without going to a larger crank pulley.
    After the Unichip tuning I would start to see boost come on between 1400 rpms. It would hit 4.5 lbs a lot sooner and 7.5 comes on real quick . 8.0-8.5 lbs of boost on the top end.
    You can only figure out how to tune the supercharger to get more boost by having a good tuner who understands how to tune this engine/supercharger combination properly.

Order up the aftermarket parts mentioned for starters.
    But I can tell ya be careful NOT to burn up your catalytic converters . I've had it happen twice already.
    I'm now in the process of fixing the truck. Going to a 2.5" exhaust system to lower the Exhaust gas temperatures. The stock sizing at each bank is 1 7/8" before the Y-Pipe which is Waaaaaayy Way Too Small for a supercharged setup. I was told my setup I have with the avg. 26-28% 4x4 drivetrain losses put my truck at around 410 HP. It was putting down 300 HP to the wheels with stock gearing, 305/70/16 BFG KM1's with steel wheels.
    With the stock intake/stock exhaust I was only getting 258 HP to the wheels. As you can see flowing more air (lowering the intake air temperatures as well which the Volant DOES DO, I've documented this before in HOT weather) /increase in boost & a little dyno tuning should get you where you want.

If you want you can read up on a 5.9 crank pulley. It should be somewhere in the old threads. And I mean real old threads.
    It raised boost to around 9-10 lbs of boost. some saw a max of 11 lbs of boost.
    At this level of boost: 9-10 lbs you should be upgrading the fuel pump.
    jbtoy likes this.
    TRD Supercharged 03' Toyota Tundra V-8 Access Cab, 4.7L, 4x4,
    PolyDyn 3000 degree Ceramic Coated---S&S Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Catalytic Converters, OEM Toyota Gaskets, studs, nuts
    S&S Y-pipe, BAMuffler, Volant CAI w/ AMSOIL Ea Air Induction Filter # EaAU3560 & Pre-Filter
    305/65/17 BFG KM2 Muds on American Racing ATX: 17" Teflon Coated Aluminum Artillery Wheels
    MOTIVE 4.56 gears & All F & R Diffs/Axle Bearings: KOYO bearings: Cryo'd, REM polished/Microblue Racing Coated
    Front IFS/Diff: ARB RD90 Locker , ORS Manual hub conversion, Fully RE-Inforced/Gusseted Spindle
    Rear Diff: ARB RD129 Locker
    Donahoe Racing Coilovers (cranked 2.5")
    Total Chaos Upper Control Arms With TC Nylatron Bushing upgrade, Poly Rack Bushings.
    ICON 2.5" 11" travel piggyback resevoir Rear shocks w/ Deaver G57 10 pack rear springs, Custom U-Bolt Flip Conversion
    Custom 3" Body Lift: Upgraded Grade 8 / F911 1/2" bolts, DayStar Poly Cab Mount Kit
    Custom extended Steering Shaft for 3" BL

Custom Fitted ARB Sahara Bumper for 3" body Lift with Fog Light Kit and HID converted KC SlimLites in Front and WARN 9.5XP winch.
    All 3: Skid-Row Skid-plates

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the input, I would like to see 8lbs max not really feeling like upgrading fuel pump etc. as of now I have the 5 map unichip, seems to work well. I have a 2.5 inch exhaust true dual already installed. I will look up that crank and check it out.
    Oh yeah thanks for your help when's I was installing the S/C. After a few minor setbacks, the truck runs strong.
    Cuz stock sucks