1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gas mileage while towing

Tundra Solutions Founder Truck Champion's Avatar
    Liked
    141 times
    Images

Thumbs up Gas mileage while towing

Assuming a newer CrewCab, what kind of gas mileage can one expect while towing a trailer? An estimate based on various weights would be fine.

Lon is the TundraSolutions.com Founder and 5 time Tundra Owner. @TruckChampion
    15th anniversary TS decals are now available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Re: Gas mileage while towing

Towed my 4000# travel trailer for the first time. 65mph hwy, in 6th o/d with tow/ haul ON= 9.1 mpg. Going on another trip next week. I'm going to try it 5th, o/d OFF and see what I get. I expected better. My Tacoma got 9-11 mpg towing it in Drive (4th).

Liked
    265 times
    Images

I recently got back from a 5K round trip WA to So TX. Going through the mountain passes I was getting an average of 10 mpg. Near sea level or less than 1K elevation, I was getting 11-12 mpg.

I was buying the cheapest gas which almost all contained ethanol. I towed a 5K travel trailer with approx 500 lbs of equipment (payload).
    Pacific NW Hippo
    BMW MOA; '03 K1200RS
    PCA since 1995; '78 911SC, '88 928S4

Liked
    220 times

Don't forget that in towing, the surface area of the trailer can play a huge part in fuel economy, especially on the highway. A huge 5th wheel trailer at 3k lbs will result in worse fuel economy on the highway (assuming few or no large hills) than 6-7k lbs of steel on a low-profile flatbed. With a heavier trailer, once it's up to speed it doesn't take as much to keep it at speed as a trailer with low weight but high wind resistance. A heavier trailer will also help fuel economy when going down gentle inclines, as you can use engine braking more and save fuel.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

9 mpg towing a 6,000 lbs travel trailer @ 65 mph, 5th gear. If I slow down to 60 mph, it goes up to 10.5 mpg. If I run 72 mph, it goes down to 8 mpg.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Just towed for the first time 28" travel trailer on I-75 for a little over 200 miles and got 8.5 MPG running about 70mph 2007 Tundra Crewmax limited 4X4 truck has only 74K on it and it has a 3/1 ready lift with 33" on 20 " ProComp 6066's

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

If you bought a Tundra to haul a travel trailer alot you better go to a diesel

Liked
    6 times

Over Memorial Day weekend, we hauled our 24' trailer from Tucson to Show Low in the White Mountains. Tucson is 2500' and Show Low is 6500'. There are a couple of climbs that are just long pulls vs. a switchbacks.

In total I had three fillups and they were 10.15, 11.2 and then 14.17 which included 3 days of normal driving... where I generally get 18.

We'll be headed to California next month with our trailer and the Trip Calculator suggests we'll be towing for 1600+ miles. Ought to be interesting and can't wait to get out to the coast again!!!

I know we'll be climbing up into Big Bear (actually up and down that hill twice) and then out along the coast. We'll be hitting Morro Bay, Malibu and then San Diego before heading back home.
    Chris
    '08 Timberland Mica SR5 5.7 SBDC 4x2 Prodigy P-2

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Just got back from towing our new trailer for the first trip. Travel trailer is 33' long and 11' tall and weighs 7500lbs empty. So I figured we had loaded another 500lbs or so of stuff. So 8000lbs in trailer and 3 adults and 2 dogs in the Tundra. The truck pulled the trailer with NO troubles whatsoever! The downer was the mpg. I averaged ~7.5mpg. I normally avg ~15mpg in town/highway. We did have headwinds on the way there and a bit on the way back plus the elevation is 5000' here at home and 6500' where we went and a few 7000' passes in between. Like I said, that truck pulled those passes with no problem and would even accelerate up the hills! Awesome power!

2010 Tundra Limited, 4x4, Tow Pkg, Brushed Running Boards, Leer Shell, CIPA Towing Mirrors, Equalizer Brand Tow/Sway Hitch 14K
    Last edited by WhiskeyMan; 06-21-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Liked
    141 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ho_Hey View Post
    If you bought a Tundra to haul a travel trailer alot you better go to a diesel
    A fresh perspective, I can appreciate that. Why a diesel? because of all the extra torque?
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Liked
    141 times
    Images

Does altitude really hurt gas mileage that much? Say 20% or so?

Banned
    Liked
    751 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Does altitude really hurt gas mileage that much? Say 20% or so?
    one might think so, the higher you get, the thinner the air... therefor the engine has to work harder to "breath in" fresh air, which in turn leads to a higher fuel consumption...

i'm not that technical so perhaps someone with a better way of explaining this could fill in the gaps i ( most certainly ) left in the answer...

dikkie

Liked
    11 times

Higher altitude improves fuel economy. The engine runs on less fuel because the air is thinner and the computer fuels less to make the A/f ratio correct. If all other factors are equal, a high altitude drive gives you better fuel economy.

Liked
    95 times
    Images

I tow a lot of boats. My Gen 1 Tundra gets about 8-10mpg. 10mpg on flat roads w/ ac off. Overpasses and mountains I get about 7.5-8 mpg.

As far as Gen 2, I had 5.7 CM 4x4. With that Tundra was hard for me to tow and get good gas mialage since it constantly looking for proper gear.

When I compare same boat towing I get about 250 miles on one tank Gen1 and about 200 on one tank Gen2
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Supercharged Member jan kohlmann's Avatar
    Liked
    122 times

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    A fresh perspective, I can appreciate that. Why a diesel? because of all the extra torque?
    Better MPG's when towing. Diesels are more efficient when towing heavy loads.

Yes they do have better torque too. I may end getting a Silverado HD diesel for the above reasons.
    Hippo likes this.
    Benjamin Franklin - "He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world."

George Washington - "It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the Providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor."

John Hancock - "Let us humbly commit our righteous cause to the great Lord of the Universe...Let us joyfully leave our concerns in the hands of Him who raises up and puts down the empires and kingdoms of the earth as He pleases."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.