Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Why so much Tundra bashing over at RV. Net?

11K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  spoon059 
#1 ·
http:// http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26675637/srt/pa/pging/1/page/5.cfm

I just don't get it. I tow 7,200lbs worth of RV awesomeness with my Tundra. Has been the best tow vehicle I've ever owned. But the chiefs over at RV. Net constantly rip the Tundra to pieces. Any thoughts? I've tried posting questions over there about towing or RVing in general, but the moment they find out you own a Tundra, you are overloaded, overtaxed, putting your family and others on the road in danger, etc. I swear, it never stops over there. Oh, and don't EVER mention that the Tundra is assembled in Texas. That really gets them going. Just a rant really, but I thought y'all would enjoy the above thread that is currently going.

BTW, just ordered my new 2013 CM, expect it in mid February, and yes, I will use it to pull my tailgating, fly fishing command post, RV!

#2 ·
you cannot educate stupid, only ignorant. I work in a job where most people drive or own pickup trucks, there are die hard ford, chevy and dodge guys, but I see a lot of guys that have bought Tundras in the past 2 years. Most of these guys are new to Toyota as well. They felt that Chevy was overpriced and under delivered, Ford wanted a lot for the ecoboost, they felt Dodge was junkier. Then they drove a Tundra, liked the price point and like what they got. I have a friend I work with who used to have a Dodge, and had a Dodge before that. When he wanted a truck again he wanted 4x4 and to not spend more than about 12k. He was concerned about the power of the Toyota, plus he could not find anything used in that range. Lots of the others. he ended up with a ford f150 fx4 with the 5.4 engine. it has been off the road for over a month due to mechanical problems. I let him drive my 4.6l dc 2011 Tundra and he was really impressed, he was especially surprised that the interior was a cheap as it gets and still looked that good. Also said power was equal to or better than his Ford (even when it worked right). Toyota trucks have long been underrated in the capacity to tow and haul, this was teh case 20 years ago before they ever entered the full size market...

#3 ·
I suspect that the most vocal are the old farts that are living in the past. They need a 1 ton to pull a popup because their reflexes are so bad. They are so hopped up on prescription meds that they are in a fog. Of course you need a 1 ton if you are hauling a half ton of pills.

There are lots of good people over there, it is just that they are either working or enjoying their rv's and don't have time to bash people about things they don't know about.

#4 ·
I concur that the Tunda is a great platform to pull our 23' Outback Kargaroo. We needed rear axle air bags, E- rated tires, and a weight distribution hitch, but after towing over 4 years, it pulls GREAT and secure. Gross trailer weight with water , fuel, and ATV is around 8,500 lbs. No adverse brake wear, no handling problems. Way better than my Ford E-350 4wd van!

#5 ·
http:// http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26675637/srt/pa/pging/1/page/5.cfm

I just don't get it. I tow 7,200lbs worth of RV awesomeness with my Tundra. Has been the best tow vehicle I've ever owned. But the chiefs over at RV. Net constantly rip the Tundra to pieces. Any thoughts? I've tried posting questions over there about towing or RVing in general, but the moment they find out you own a Tundra, you are overloaded, overtaxed, putting your family and others on the road in danger, etc. I swear, it never stops over there. Oh, and don't EVER mention that the Tundra is assembled in Texas. That really gets them going. Just a rant really, but I thought y'all would enjoy the above thread that is currently going.

BTW, just ordered my new 2013 CM, expect it in mid February, and yes, I will use it to pull my tailgating, fly fishing command post, RV!
My guess is a lot of these folks are ragging about the the Gen1 (2000-2006) Tundra. No offense meant to the owners of the Gen1 Tundra, but in the eyes of the general public it hadn't quite mutated into a true, 1/2 ton pickup truck. IMO, Toyota is still trying to shake off some of this Gen1 legacy even after the release of the Gen2 (2007-2013). I think the soon-to-be-released 2014 will definitely shame a lot of these naysayers :)

Enjoy that 2013!!

#6 ·
Its a combination of 2 things, ignorance and paranoia.

They are ignorant to think that you need a heavy duty truck to pull ANY type of trailer. I have a 5500 lbs camper, I don't need more than a 1/2 ton truck. According to guys on RV.net, the only purpose of a half ton truck is to get groceries. They are just ignorant of the fact that modern half ton trucks have a far greater payload than even 15 year old 3/4 ton trucks.

They are paranoid because they don't want to admit that a Japanese designed truck can compete with "American Made" trucks. Of course by "American Made", I mean the continent of North America being Canada and Mexico. There are plenty of good ole boys that don't consider it a truck unless its a Cheby, Dodge or Ford. Even when the 2007 Tundra came out and had superior power, payload, towing capacity and price point the good ole boys hated the Tundra. They talked about how HP doesn't matter and their trucks had more than enough payload and towing. Then, when the respective companies finally stepped up to the table and produced more powerful engines and higher ratings, they talked about how much better their trucks were and how "old" the Tundra was.

They can say whatever they want. I researched Dodge, Ford, GM, Toyota and Nissan when I was looking at buying. I priced them out, weighed the advantages and disadvantages, compared options and standard features and made a decision. The Tundra was the most powerful (except the GM 6.1 V8 that required premium and the most expensive trim package), had the most safety options and highest rated crash test, had traction control standard, was comfortable, the DC had a spacious backseat and 6.5 foot bed ... AND was the best priced out of all the vehicles I tested.

#7 ·
I spend a little time brousing on that site, and they pretty much feel that if you dont have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel, then you can't really tow much of anything and they won't take any arguments to the contrary. There's lots of good info, but you will take a lot of put downs. They can't see other's perspectives. It's kinda like the 5.7 guys laying the wood to us 4.6ers here.

#8 ·
I agree with the folks responding to this post. But I think its also a little jealosy. I have had my truck for over two years and towed across the country twice with out any problems.

#12 ·
Just put it out there that the tundra pulled 300,000 lbs called the space shuttle with out any problems something ford, Chevy or dodge would never try to attempt the old school guys will learn that their mouths need to stay shut when numbers are one thing but proving the impossible is better then backing down!!!

#13 ·
I bought my 07 Tundra 250,000 km ago, to do all the things my new 05 Duramax couldn't, without governers shutting it down, leaking from brake calipers, blowing tranny codes, leaking from axle seals...got rid of it at 120K
Go hit them with the massive brake rotor off your Tundra, lol and enjoy your oil change price, I hear a diesel oil/fuel filter/--def fluid refill- (Required emissions stuff on all new diesels??) is running 400.00 now.

#15 ·
Besides the bashing on the RV net site, It pisses me off to no end at the Truck Trend magazine and several other Truck / Auto magazines for their LACK of publishing or including the Tundra when comparing the other Three Made in Mexico trucks. I also have had Silverados in the past, a 2000 1500, 2003 2500HD (gas) and a 2005 2500HD Duramax, my Tundra out performs the two gas trucks and pulls my travel trailer just as good as the Duramax did. I sold the Duramax because I had no use for a diesel anymore. I bought my Tundra in 2009 and after that, 4 of my co-workers bought Tundras.. Just like mentioned above, them people on RV net are stuck back in the day where if you don't have a 2500 or bigger diesel truck, then you shouldn't be on the site or towing anything.

#16 ·
A bit sensitive? I use rv.net too, and currently drive a GMC 1500. I've been bashed just the same as you Toyota folks. If you're not pulling your popup w/ a Peterbuilt, a few of the (vocal) characters on that site will flame your stupidity. I just figure that they have nothing better to do, and ignore it.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Another place to see a lot of Tundra bashing is the comment section in Pickuptrucks.com. It's enough to make you embarrassed to own a pickup. One of the recurring themes is the lack of a 3/4 ton means Toyota isn't a real truck. Most of the logic and arguments are approximately 5th grade level.

By the way, they have comments today on the 2014 Tundra.

#22 ·
I can understand why they rag on the Tundra. The tow package is sub par I pulled a 5000lb trailer and I wish I had either a couple more gears or a diesel motor. Tow/haul button does nothing. The constant downshifting and high revving to keep the truck near the speed limit and getting 8-9 mpg is pretty much a major fail.

If they fix the towing capability and add some modern features big 3 are putting on their trucks then I will consider a 2014, but if its more of the Same cheapness then I will have to say sayonara to the tundra.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#23 ·
I can understand why they rag on the Tundra. The tow package is sub par I pulled a 5000lb trailer and I wish I had either a couple more gears or a diesel motor. Tow/haul button does nothing. The constant downshifting and high revving to keep the truck near the speed limit and getting 8-9 mpg is pretty much a major fail.

If they fix the towing capability and add some modern features big 3 are putting on their trucks then I will consider a 2014, but if its more of the Same cheapness then I will have to say sayonara to the tundra.
What Tundra do you have and what engine? I pull a 6000 lbs RV and have ZERO issues with lack of power or transmisson shifting with my 2010 with the 5.7. Tow/haul button raises the shift points to get higher RPM's for more power. If you put your truck in Sport mode and shift it to 5th gear, you won't notice all that "constant downshifting and revving" that you complain about. Driving down I-95 I drive around 75mph and get about 9-10 mpg. On roadways with slower speed limits I can get 11-12 mpg towing. I have towed up mountains with PLENTY of power to spare.

The only logical complaints about the current Tundra is the low (exceptionally conservative) payload.

Enjoy your substaintially higher quality Big 3 truck though...

#25 ·
I tow a little over 8K# 5th wheel with my 08 5.7 and it does a great job. I use the tow haul mode with the trans in S mode 5th for most driving. Was in the Rockies for a month, towed in S mode with trans in 4th letting the trans and engine do it's thing. Speed was maintained with little or no downshifting. Trans went into 3rd on the longer 8%+ grade climbs. On the downgrade I would downshift to keep speed and control with some break tapping. Over 4k miles of towing last year, we are happy with the way the Tundra handled the load, no white nuckle driving at all. Fuel milage was OK 8 - 9 in the mtns and 11 - 12 mpg most other driving.

#26 ·

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Not sure what Tundra you are driving but I tow a 7200 lb trailer and never have the issues you have. As for the mileage I get the same mileage in my Tundra towing that I got in my '06 GMC Sierra just a lot more power and better stability. You won't find a better gas engine to tow with than the 5.7 except maybe the Ecoboost but haven't towed with that one so can't say for sure. Just heard good things about it but would worry about long term reliabilty putting out that much power with 3.5L and twin turbos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.