Secondary Air System Bypass Modules for Toyota 4.7L and 5.7L equipped vehicles

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary Air System Bypass Modules for Toyota 4.7L and 5.7L equipped vehicles

Liked
    67 times

RSS Secondary Air System Bypass Modules for Toyota 4.7L and 5.7L equipped vehicles

Please refer to my more up to date thread:
    Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00056.jpg 
Views:	914 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	92030   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00054.jpg 
Views:	938 
Size:	399.2 KB 
ID:	92029  
    Last edited by pxsp; 03-07-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Hewitt Tech Inc Webstore Home of the Original SAIS Bypass Kit

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    67 times

Default Re: Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass

Here are the installation pictures on my 05 Tundra XSP Double Cab. Detailed instructions will be included with the module.
    Attachment 90909MAF/IAT Sensor on top of airbox
    Attachment 90911Location to be installed.
    Attachment 90034Disconnect sensor and harness clip.
    Attachment 90035Split wire loom
    Attachment 90036Remove wiring.
    Attachment 90037Mount module (looks crooked but I assure you it is level) and mock up wiring.
    Attachment 90083Soldering your connections is always the best and least bulky method.
    Attachment 90038Make proper connections according to instructions or vehicle pinout.
    Attachment 90039Verify operation, insulate connections, candy stripe wires, close loom.
    Attachment 90040Clean up harness to look like a factory install.
    Attachment 90031Finished.
    Attachment 90041Clean install...
    Reset engine codes and start engine... AIP problem solved (excluding stuck valves)!
    Typical install will probably take 30min. to an hour depending on your tools and skill level, if you want to run the optional starter relay wire and have a clean install allow for extra material and time to finish the install.

Bypassing the system with the module will allow it to pass an emissions test. Most States will check the ODBII Monitors (emission system tests) for the vehicle. These monitors are are used to determine if all of the systems are operating properly. The bypassed Secondary Air System passes its monitor without any problems. The screenshot below is of the ODBII Monitors report for my 05 Tundra after a cold start-up (55 deg. F) and the bypass module installed. The Secondary Air System (Air Induction System) shows that it has completed and is functioning properly.
    Attachment 90681
    Once the drive cycle to test the EGR and 02 Sensor Heater are completed the truck should be ready for emissions test. As long as you have no other problems than a faulty AIP system the vehicle should pass an emissions test.

Name:	DSC00003.jpg 
Views:	1041 
Size:	592.7 KB 
ID:	90912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00043.jpg 
Views:	867 
Size:	510.3 KB 
ID:	90913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00017.jpg 
Views:	825 
Size:	543.8 KB 
ID:	90914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00022.jpg 
Views:	899 
Size:	494.4 KB 
ID:	90915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00033.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	90916   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00034.jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	90917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00042.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	90918   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00044.jpg 
Views:	872 
Size:	551.9 KB 
ID:	90919   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00028.jpg 
Views:	863 
Size:	464.3 KB 
ID:	90920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monitor Report.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	90921  

Last edited by pxsp; 12-12-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Liked
    67 times

Cross Posted from the old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by texasranger96 View Post
    So with this module can we take the AIP crap completely off the truck?
    The short answer is not really.

The bypass module only prevents the operation of the system and thus any codes that are generated from its faulty operation. Disconnection of the pump will prevent the system from operating but it will also cause its own fault code. Theoretically speaking, if you still want to completely remove the system you would have to replace the pump, vacuum valves and exhaust valves with equivalent power resistors to trick the computer into thinking that they are still connected. You still have to have the bypass module to do this because of the way the system checks for proper operation using pressure sensors.

Because getting at the valves and pump involve removing the intake manifold I do not recommend removing them at all. What I would suggest is simply removing the air tubes that connect the exhaust valves to the exhaust manifold and using block off plates to prevent any problems that may arise from the valves being stuck open. By using the block off plates and bypass module you will have effectively removed the entire system and problems caused by its operation or lack thereof.

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by breezefla View Post
    I've spent the last several days looking into the repair/replace option and the best i can tell the repair is in the neighborhood of $2000.00 and up.* Labor is not too bad but the parts cost is a bit extreme, $1251.61 for Air Pump from the dealer.* I did notice people saying that a GM air pump will replace the Toyota's, but from what I've been able to find it's for the 07' and newer Tundras. Unless someone has a GM part# that will replace Toyota's part# 17600-0F010 this is looking like a very good option, so sign me up. PM sent
    Here are the last three pages from the AIP Bypass pdf. It has part numbers. You most likely will not find a direct, 100% plug-in replacement because you can expect the connector to be different, and the connector from your old pump will need to be spliced on. Other than the connector, the pumps are identical.

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

ˇpןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

Liked
    67 times

Since this is a solid state module, there are no moving parts, no contacts or coils to go bad. It is sealed in epoxy and completely impervious to water and engine grime. The number of connections that need to be made are cut almost in half and can all be made at the MAF/AIT sensor harness. The units are supplied with 18" 20awg TXL leads which is all the wire you will need for installation unless you want to connect the optional starter relay signal wire. Not that power consumption is a real concern here but the module draws practically no power when it is operational (<1mA @12V) compared to a 12V 30A relay that draws about 150mA. I would say the biggest difference is the fact that I designed the module to work without needing a connection to the starter relay.

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
    What is the difference between this module and StevJ's AIP bypass other then, "The module greatly simplifies bypassing of the AIP system and allows for a much cleaner installation. "
    Quote Originally Posted by pxsp View Post
    Since this is a solid state module, there are no moving parts, no contacts or coils to go bad. It is sealed in epoxy and completely impervious to water and engine grime. The number of connections that need to be made are cut almost in half and can all be made at the MAF/AIT sensor harness. The units are supplied with 18" 20awg TXL leads which is all the wire you will need for installation unless you want to connect the optional starter relay signal wire. Not that power consumption is a real concern here but the module draws practically no power when it is operational (<1mA @12V) compared to a 12V 30A relay that draws about 150mA. I would say the biggest difference is the fact that I designed the module to work without needing a connection to the starter relay.
    That:
    1) it’s solid state,
    2) easier to connect,
    3) totally encased in protective compound,
    4) easier to make it look like it “belongs there,”
    5) all the connections are in the MAF/AIT sensor harness,
    are all great advantages over the original bypass configuration which, simple as it is, still requires stringing wires from one side of the engine compartment to the other.

The name of the game is improvement; and if pxsp’s module is the significant improvement over the MK1 MOD0 bypass that it appears to be, then let’s embrace the progress and support it.

I’m eager to install one of his modules, and remove those wires still strung from one side of my engine compartment to the other.

Steve
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--

Liked
    67 times

So the question has been asked that if bypassing the Air Induction Pump or Secondary Air System will allow you to pass an emissions test. To the best of my knowledge the answer is YES as long as the only problem you had was the Secondary Air System. I have included a screenshot of the ODBII "monitors" report for my 05 Tundra (with the bypass module installed) that the States use for emissions testing. All systems that are available have been completed and checked green including the Secondary Air System that is bypassed. This test only shows the monitors after a cold start-up (55 deg. F) so the drive cycles to test the EGR and 02 Heater have not been completed. The Secondary Air System passes without any problems after being bypassed.
    Attachment 90652

And Yes the time-stamp on the monitor report is correct...lol

Name:	Monitor Report.jpg 
Views:	2165 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	90923  

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by Armystrong View Post
    ...do you recommend using the module in conjunction with the AIP plates?
    Jim,
    I'm gonna jump in here to say that whichever method is used to disable the AIP system, it's really only half the fix.
    Without the blockoff plates, a Valve Stuck Open fault, and its associated limp mode, can still occur on those vehicles with marginal seals at the Injection Valves, because exhaust pulses can work their way past those seals and activate the sensors located within the valves.
    I have had the bypass with plates since May/June of 2011. If you haven't seen it, read my 1-year update post here. I now have 50,000+ miles on the Tundra, and 34,000+ miles on the bypass, but I'm itching to install PXSP's module.

Steve

DIY AIP BYPASS <--

Liked
    67 times

Default Secondary Air System Bypass Modules for Toyota 4.7L and 5.7L equipped vehicles

Future home of the Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass forum thread.

Liked
    67 times

Default Re: Secondary Air System Bypass Modules for Toyota 4.7L and 5.7L equipped vehicles

Circuit boards for the next 25 modules are being delivered tomorrow. If you have already placed an order I will be contacting you soon if not get your orders in before they are all sold. Also, I have received a lot of questions about if block off plates are available so I am going to be looking into having some manufactured.

Liked
    67 times

Default Re: Secondary Air System Bypass Modules for Toyota 4.7L and 5.7L equipped vehicles

I have begun assembling modules and hope to have prepaid orders shipped around the 1st of Nov.

Liked
    67 times

Modules will start shipping near the end of the week. I still have a few available so if you want one I would urge you to go ahead and place your order. It will be another week or two after that before I will have more available.

Liked
    67 times

Modules will begin shipping on Monday. Module prices for the next batch have been adjusted.

Liked
    37 times

I'm thinking of installing this as a precautionary measure in case the worst should happen while offroading. Has anyone had trouble with lights or the like coming on?

Liked
    67 times

It is truly unfortunate that a Toyota owner would ever have to worry about something like this failing in the future. It is by no means without precedent in the automotive world but not something a Toyota owner should be used to. I would normally leave this question for a customer to answer but I do not think you will find anyone who has installed a module who has had any more problems after the install. The reason being, the module was designed to bypass a faulty Air Induction System (be it the pump or valves) that initially cause of the check engine lights.
    Last edited by pxsp; 11-26-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast