Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Limited Tundra doesnt have a power antenna?

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  BaBalouie1958 
#1 ·
When I took delivery of my Tundra a few weeks ago, I noticed it didnt have a power antenna. Being the truck is a Limited I thought it would have. I may have been seeing things, but I could have sworn I saw some DC's with power antennas on the lots.

Is the power antenna part of some package or am I mistaken and maybe the dealer had just taken the antennas off for fear of being broken in transit?

Thanks

#5 ·
Just one opinion here but I've had power antennas and standard antennas, and I prefer the standard ones. Even though standard antennas stay extended full time they flex and take abuse far better than the power ones. I made the mistake one time of forgetting I had my power antenna out (the radio was on, so it's easy to forget) in a car wash. The car wash apparatus came over my vehicle and just whacked the antenna off. Being stiff like power antennas are, it would not flex enough to allow the apparatus to slide over it. I know a standard antenna would not have broken because they are like fishing rods, they bend a lot. I had to buy an entire new power module/antenna and have it installed inside the fender well.

#6 ·
It seems like more & more manufacturers just put the antenna in the glass. I wonder why Toyota didn't just do that with the Tundra.

#7 ·
It seems like more & more manufacturers just put the antenna in the glass. I wonder why Toyota didn't just do that with the Tundra.
One reason is poor reception. Anyone who has had vehicles with antenna's embedded in the windshield glass can tell you they get poor reception. It won't be an issue if you are local and close to your favorite station, but if you travel or get on the highway it's a real pain. One station won't stay clear very long, before you have to start searching for another.

I may be wrong, but my feeling was that manufacturers were getting away from doing that. They started putting antenna wires in windshields back in the 70s but we started seeing less of that throughout the late 80s and 90s.

#18 ·
My Tundra antenna has struck tree limbs that would have broken a stiff power antenna. This is on a normal road, never noticed the branch till I drove the same road again as the top of the antenna cannot be seen while driving. Motors go out power antennas, just one more thing to fix out of warranty. Power ones freeze up sometimes as well. The window antenna on my BMW works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.