Highlander 2004 bumper cover replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Highlander 2004 bumper cover replacement

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question Highlander 2004 bumper cover replacement

I've dinged my rear bumper cover...:cry: a fist sized indentation that won't come out...so need to replace. Has anyone out there replaced this bumper cover themselves? Is it hard to do?...can find the part online for $170 ish....thanks for any advice...

Gene

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Default Re: Highlander 2004 bumper cover replacement

Quote Originally Posted by kendallg View Post
    I've dinged my rear bumper cover...:cry: a fist sized indentation that won't come out...so need to replace. Has anyone out there replaced this bumper cover themselves? Is it hard to do?...can find the part online for $170 ish....thanks for any advice...

Gene
    We had someone hit our front, and had to have the bumper cover replaced.
    Check and make sure they come in specific colors, our dealer had to paint the new one. It shouldn't be hard to put on, I believe it's just clipped into the metal frame underneath.
    2007 Tundra DblCab Limited Salsa Red PearlSOLD 2013
    SNUG TOP SL, BED RUG, VAIS TECH. IPOD CONTROLLER, DU-HA REAR UNDER SEAT STORAGE BOX, TRD EXHAUST, TRD ANTI SWAY BAR, BILLET GRILL, 2.5" FRONT LIFT, NAVI, XM, SONAR, 20" WHEELS, RUNNING BOARDS, PIAA DRIVING LIGHTS,DRL ENABLED
    2005 Tundra Double Cab SR5 TRD 4x2, Phantom Gray Pearl, SOLD
    Magnaflow, TRD wheels chromed,VSE sub, side badges removed, Line-X, Onki Nerf Board, 3rd Eye rear sonar System
    2004 Highlander Limited 2 wd, Salsa Red
    2000 Access Cab SR-5 4x2 -SOLD

Liked
    3 times

The front bumper will take some time to do on your own. But can be done if patient. Clips might break. Some snapped very easily for me. But even a body shop will break one or two. Just have to get them from Toyota. No big deal.

BTW, the bumpers DO NOT come prepainted! And there is a TSB on the preparation and painting of these bumpers...so the paint won't crack when rubbed or bumped during parking and low impact situations. A "Flex Additive" added to the base coat in the correct proportion as well as in the clear coat during the paint process IS required. This is used on all ABS bumper covers on all late model cars.

A good body shop will do this properly as well as prep and clean the bare unprimed cover before the paint process. If not the paint will peel, split, and crack on the NEW bumper cover. A poor paint process will render the ABS uncorrectable and future painting will never be flexible as well.

Many shops will do a bumper for $100 right on the vehicle. Although it sounds cheap, that is absurd. I might even look great too. BUT, will never hold up like the original bumper cover!!!!
    Also, it should be done off the vehicle in a paint booth and baked properly. Then it should be installed . I have not seen a properly done bumper for less than $300 materials/labor alone, in addition to the price of the bumper. That's on the low$$ side too.

Yu see, to do a bumper cover properly , it simply cannot be done for $100. It would be a loss for any body shop. The "flex" additive costs alot as materials go. Automotive paints especially the clear coat are expensive too. Labor to prep the Bumper adds up to several labor hours alone.

Takes about a one-half to 1 quart Quart, in primer, base paint and clear coat along with additive to do most bumper covers.

So check out the Toyota service bulletin to understand what I am saying here. There is only One Right way to paint these bumpers.

You just don't wipe down a new ABS cover and shoot it with a paint mix that would be used on the metal panels of the car. IT DOESN'T WORK.
    The ABS on these bumpers must be free of molding by-products and dust.
    Must be constantly washed with prep solvent, then soap washed then rinsed with water then prep solled again. This according to the TSB.
    My two cents worth.

LT

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Due to my stupidity I dented my rear bumper on a tree, It's really hard to remove around the bumper covers. I like fixing things by myself but it surely gonna bummed me up coz it's a huge truck.

Liked
    0 times

Old thread !

Use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up the plastic. Needs to get fairly hot. Rap a rag on the either end of a baseball bat and push out the dent.
    04 Highlander FWD 6cyl
    01 4Runner 2WD 6cyl
    00 Camry 4cyl