roof rack weight limit

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: roof rack weight limit

dps
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default roof rack weight limit

Hi all. i can't believe i'm in this predicament..

first off, does anyone know the weight limit on the roof rack (2002 4cyl Highlander)?

i live in tampa, FL and bought an awning that i need to bring to North Carolina. it didn't occur to me that an 18 foot awning would come all completely assembled in a 1ft diameter cardboard tube 19 feet long (weighing 126lbs)! (duh!!)

so here i am with this long pole i need to transport (now quit laughing!!)

it is too long to just support at the middle, so here is my plan. first, put my extension ladder on the roof rack to give it support, then the tube on top of that. (the ladder is 2 12 foot sections...so that would leave 3 feet in front of the ladder and 3 feet behind it unsupported...which i think would be ok for the 10 hour trip).

i can also tie the front and rear ends of ladder and tube to front and rear bumpers for added stability.

my main concern right now is weight...with both ladder and awning, it is going to be over 200lbs.

any thoughts, thanks, David S. - tampa, Fl

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: roof rack weight limit

The owners manual indicates 100 pounds as maximum capacity for the luggage carrier! (Roof Rack)

I would exceed maybe no more than 50 pounds with a short local trip.
    The roof rack is light duty stuff.

Yu might want to rethink your options as far as transporting your awning.

It's your personal call here. I would do it on only a brief local trip though.!
    Try to get the actual weight of the awning and make the call. Don't guess if it really matters to yu!

Yu said it was only 126 pounds? Yu could be alright. Spread the cross rails far apart of course!
    LifeTech

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.