Squeak in Front

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Squeak in Front

Liked
    0 times

Default Squeak in Front

For the last 2 days I have noticed a squeak, maybe even a squeal (sounds like newborn mice/hamsters) from the front drivers side wheel. Only happens when the car is moving (even when not accelerating and car is rolling on it own) ONLY when turning right. I did not hear it when just turning the wheel. Checked to make sure there was no rubbing of tire. 2002 FWD V6 42000 miles, tire pressure good, no nail etc in tire. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: Squeak in Front

is it a noise that comes with rotation of wheel...or does it seem like a suspension squeak/squeal?

I get something similar, but is from forward and reverse motion when I press accelerator ,then brake my noise comes from the rocking motion of the chassis/suspension. But, I know it is not my brakes or related parts.

I feel mine is at the radiator support somewhere. And it will sometimes disappear after a hard rain or wash for a little while. The dealer cannot figure it out.

LT

Liked
    0 times

Car can be just rolling at idle/speed. Only on right turn, I don't hear if I am going straight or if I go over a speed bump. Only right turn and I don not need to be on accelerator. Car brakes and drives fine - nothing noticeable. YES ROTATION OF THE WHEEL. I can turn wheel while parked and don't hear it. Weird.
    Last edited by oconn11; 09-24-2007 at 05:28 AM.

Liked
    3 times

could be brake.

I would take a hose and spray just the wheel /and brake pads where yu feel the squeal is. Then drive the vehicle in the usual fashion that produces the noise. If it disappears or quiets up a bit , that will zoom in on the approximate area. Short of it being an actual sealed bearing of course.

Eliminate the possibilites and this will help focus on getting closer to the actual noisey part/parts.

LT

Liked
    0 times

I tried hosing it this morning...

It only happens when you are making a right turn, the wheel has to be at a certain degree (just before you turn steering wheel all the way) Its not the pump, I can hear it from the wheel well when I am outside car and only at 45 degrees or so..

Liked
    3 times

It could be the brake rotor dust back plate rubbing against the knuckle. Remove tire, stick in a screwdriver between rotor and back plate, move the plate away from rotor. When you rotate wheels, this is quite common to bend the brake dust plate whereby it touches the rotors.

If the above does not solve it, I would check brake dust accumulation on the axle spindle, get an impact wrench remove the axle nut, then take off the strut mounting bolts, pull the rotor assembly away from the axle shaft (u may have to rent a puller since the axle may be binding thax to rust etc). Do everything like you were going to replace an axle.

Now once the axle spindle comes off, you will almost certainly see a lot of brake dust accumulated near the bearing etc. Use brake cleaners to clean, use mobil1 syn grease to grease the spindle and put it back together.