How do you jack up a Highlander

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How do you jack up a Highlander

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default How do you jack up a Highlander

without crushing the weld flange thats under the doors????
    . like when rotating a tire or changing a tire. is there an attachment I need for my hydraulic roll under jack to keep the weld flange from being crushed?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How do you jack up a Highlander

I just bought a hydraulic jack for my 01 after having a bad scissor jack incident and after seeing one in use on my vehicle. You have to find a point on the frame. it's near the little notched section by the wheel.

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i havn't had a problem when using the big jack for the brakes or this smaller one for a tire change.

Liked
    3 times

Short of using the Spare tire Included Toyota Jack, which isn't that safe in any event for doing Service etc., I use a JACK PAD. approx $33 somewhere online...made of hard Neoprene.

It is important to not damage the Pinch Welded Rocker Frame.

It will bend and rust at this rust prone area.

Check your HL's, as most shops don't do the right thing and cause damage to this area. Dealers are notorious. They damaged mine already. Yu usually find Bent and Rusted lift Points on the Pinch welds. They should be repaired/repainted.

This Jack Pad is a MUST HAVE!

When yu order the Jack Pad make sure yu order the correct diameter to fit onto the Hydraulic Jack that yu have!

Check this link out:

New Page 1

I have a whole collection of pads for different jacks and vehicles. Just get the correct one for your Jack and vehicle. All Non-Full Framed Toyotas use the one I have in the pictures. BTW, it now comes in Black... Not Yellow anymore.

Hope this helps
    LT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack Pad 001.jpg 
Views:	1229 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	29253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jack Pad 002.jpg 
Views:	1163 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	29254  
    Last edited by LifeTech; 03-02-2008 at 08:17 AM.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

YOU WOULD THINK ADVANCE AUTO ZONE OR WALD0 WOULD SELL THOSE TOO
    as everyone with a car would need them

Liked
    3 times

Actually its considered a specialty item.

This stuff has been around for years. This particular Pad is designed for Pinch welded Unibody Asian Vehicles. They make other designs for German/European cars etc.

These Pads are usually included with commercially available HD lifts and such.

Most Dealers are too lazy to use them...even though they are lying around the shop.

When I recently purchased a set of Mich Cross Terrains in Costco of Boca Raton FL,(BTW, No bargain price on this tire) their tire center used the correct lift pads and they were very meticulous about chassis damage and even torqued wheels to spec .
    Costco Tire actually spent a good 5 minutes setting up the lift. They did this with every vehicle as I watched. They were systematic in this regard.

Some shops do the right thing. I feel most don't.
    But in the end, most people just don't know or care what goes on under their car. Shops and dealers know this to be true so they become lazy just to speed up the job.

I read a post where an owner of an 07 $Saleen Mustang$ brought his car in for warranty service at a Ford dealer and they tore into the Pinch welds...bent everthing up. He posted the pictures etc. I was amazed. He had to sue the Dealer and won over $3K in damage to repair the chassis rails. The Dealer claimed in court, that the damage is inevitable whenever lifting any car. But the Stang owner won the case.

What BS!

All because the Dealer was too lazy or ignorant on how to properly lift a New Mustang. A $50k Saleen Stang (limited production) no less.

Bent Pinch Weld Rails are not easy to repair. The only correct way is to mount the car to a frame machine and this costs big labor dollars. (If the damage is extensive.)

LT
    Last edited by LifeTech; 03-02-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by edwardh1 View Post
    YOU WOULD THINK ADVANCE AUTO ZONE OR WALD0 WOULD SELL THOSE TOO
    as everyone with a car would need them
    That would be nice to see this stuff there and other places, but,
    I don't expect much from these places, as they tend to be very short on stocking alot of other basic things.

Next time yu go to an Autozone...go ask for a Jack Pad and see what they say. They will look at yu like yu have 4 heads.

It's just specialty Item for those "in the know"!
    LT

Liked
    1 times

If some renegade maverick were to go out and make one for himself..... would he just be cutting a dado (slot) into a block of hardwood deeper than the pinch weld? Or would it be the exact depth so the ridge and the frame share the load? I thought my factory jack put all the weight right on the weld ridge, but those grooves look deep!

Liked
    3 times

I made a pad out of a block of 4x4" wood. I cut out the block for the pinch weld. I gave it away to someone. It is ok for limited use. But it can split on heavier vehicles. Give it a try if yu wish. The Neoprene pad is much more stabil. Measure the OE Jack at the lift point and just cut out a block of wood. Yu can get creative and form fit it to your existing metal hydraulic jack pad so it is snug.

But yu got the idea.

LT

Liked
    2 times
    Images

This might be more than what you're looking for, but it runs for about $200 and has a 8800 lb capacity. I've used mine on numerous vehicles across the pinch welds, differentials and frame areas and haven't seen any bending yet on the lighter areas. Holds it's footing great on pavement, sand and mud since it's got pointy teeth built into the base. Filling it is a breeze with the exhaust hose. Just hold it against your exhaust and it fills up in a minute or so.
    Last edited by imjin; 03-04-2008 at 09:01 AM.
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

Liked
    3 times

This air bag jack has been around for a while.

Just not practical for me. Easier than using the included jack. Maybe even safer? maybe? It seems too large to carry around.

I need a hydr. floor jack and stands to do work on my car.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

ARB brought it out at the 2005 SEMA show. The diameter about 2' across, so its fairly wide for sure. I wouldn't use it in a garage unless it was for a quick tire change and I certainly wouldn't crawl around underneath without jack stands. It's really more for the woods, on the side of the road, on the beach, etc... If I read the original post closer, I'd have known that.
    Last edited by imjin; 03-05-2008 at 03:56 AM.
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by bepperb View Post
    If some renegade maverick were to go out and make one for himself..... would he just be cutting a dado (slot) into a block of hardwood deeper than the pinch weld? Or would it be the exact depth so the ridge and the frame share the load? I thought my factory jack put all the weight right on the weld ridge, but those grooves look deep!
    No weight should be placed onto the weld if yu are lifting just at one point. So the weight should truly end up on the rocker with the Pinch weld dead center.

If yu examine the OE Jack closely yu will see that the pinch weld supports no weight by itself.

LinkBacks (?)