Review Toyota Highlander VSC & check engine light

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Toyota Highlander VSC & check engine light

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Smile Toyota Highlander VSC & check engine light

THanks to this forum I probably saved myself lots of money and a headache. I recently purchaced a 2002 toyota highlander and had only had it for a few wks before the VSC and check engine light came on. I took it to Advanced Auto and had it hooked up to a battery which read 3 codes-P0440, P0441, and P0446. These were evap emissions codes and I was told I needed a canister purge valve and vapor canister, splenoids which would cost around $300.00. I wasnt very happy and decided to check on the internet when I came to this site. Someone else had the same problem and said the lights were coming on because the hose on the air filter box was loose. I immediately went outside and sure enough they were right! I reattachced the hose and had the light turned off and it hasnt come back on since! One more thing does anyone know why the airbag light flashes on and off when its really cold out? Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Toyota Highlander VSC & check engine light

I'm glad you were able to get that problem figured out. That happened to me, and it was a headache for a while there. Unfortunately there aren't too many resources for highlander owners on the web, so I am sticking to this place and hoping other active members will follow.

As far as the airbag light goes, how cold are we talking here. I have a '03 and live in Colorado. This year it has gotten fairly cold (-20f at night), and I have never see mine come on. There may be something wrong with yours. Has it ever been in a wreck.... enough to set off the air bag. I just wonder if it wasn't repacked properly, or replaced, or whatever it is they do. That's the only thing I could think of.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 2002 also, and have seen the air bag light flash in cold weather (10-20 deg F). This goes away as soon as it gets warmer, or as the vehicle warms up. Maybe the compressor does not do well in the cold, or it could be the sensor.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My Haynes Repair Manual states that there is a fault in the airbag system if it stays on, flash or dash makes a beep and should be taken to your dealer. Hope that helps!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by valjers View Post
    THanks to this forum I probably saved myself lots of money and a headache. I recently purchaced a 2002 toyota highlander and had only had it for a few wks before the VSC and check engine light came on. I took it to Advanced Auto and had it hooked up to a battery which read 3 codes-P0440, P0441, and P0446. These were evap emissions codes and I was told I needed a canister purge valve and vapor canister, splenoids which would cost around $300.00. I wasnt very happy and decided to check on the internet when I came to this site. Someone else had the same problem and said the lights were coming on because the hose on the air filter box was loose. I immediately went outside and sure enough they were right! I reattachced the hose and had the light turned off and it hasnt come back on since! One more thing does anyone know why the airbag light flashes on and off when its really cold out? Thanks again!
    hi i have 2001 highlander v6 3.0 L same problem engine light come on i use innanove3100c code come on p1150 and p 1130 so i just change o2 sensor before cat i bought bosh i only change one and there are two i change one and one i clean it with trottle body cleaner and erace code now it is two monts now it ok no light came back