PCV Valve Location?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: PCV Valve Location?

Liked
    2 times

Default PCV valve????

OK, I am tired of searching like an idiot. Where is the darn PCV on a 3.0 6cyl. I looked for 15min and I couldn't find it. I have the part, but it won't do any good in my pocket!

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    621 times
    Images

this might sound odd since ive got a tundra with a v8...ie i havent seen your engine but i might be able to point you in the right direction.

find the throttle body(tb), it's much easier to locate than the pcv valve . one of the hoses leading to the tb is the pcv hose...it should attach to the tb just upstream from the air intake tube. it'll probably be a relatively large hose, since it's probably an inner hose with a foam outer (that's on a tundra). on a tundra, it connects on the top of the tb, centered over the tb opening, but i dont remember if it's in front of or behind the butterfly (i think it's in front of it). anyway, trace this hose down to the engine block, the pcv valve is at the engine block end. there's probably a wire clamp ring you can squeeze with your fingers to release the hose from the tb at the pcv valve, then theres probably a foam cover over the actual pcv valve. take off the cover, clean around the pcv valve before pulling, and pull/twist/wiggle very gently, it just kinda pops out.

hope that helps

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    0 times
    Images

It's at the back valve cover,passenger side. Vacuum hose connects to the intake manifold,not at the throttle body like a V8.

Do Highlanders use the push-in PCV or is it a threaded design?
    2000 Imperial Jade Mica Tundra SR5 V8 4WD - sold to my dad
    2002 Thundercloud Sport Edition 4Runner - my "new" Toyota truck

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    621 times
    Images

aw...i was close

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    2 times

Default Push in style

The valve is just a push in style that probably goes in a grommet. I will look for that place tonight. Thanks for helping to bring me out of dumbville!

Liked
    2 times

Default PCV valve on 6 cyl

Well, I have asked this before and got a response, but it wasn't quite enough info. Where is the PCV valve on a 6 cyl? I have a parts breakout list and it isn't listed. I am beginning to think it doesn't use one.

If possible I would like to hear from someone who owns a 6 cyl and has changed it themselves.

Thanks for any help. I am feeling like a idiot.

Liked
    2 times

Default problem solved

It appears that after January 2001(or 0101 in parts diagram), the PCV valve design changed in the 3.0L engine. The valve after that time is straight and it is threaded into the block. It is in the same location, it just looks different than the 90deg valve that you may come across.

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: PCV Valve Location?

This is very True! Thread on PCV continued to the 3.3's too.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by mcmatt View Post
    It appears that after January 2001(or 0101 in parts diagram), the PCV valve design changed in the 3.0L engine. The valve after that time is straight and it is threaded into the block. It is in the same location, it just looks different than the 90deg valve that you may come across.
    Why is it that when I went to the parts store and got the valve for the 2003 6cyl that it's the 90 deg plastic one that pushes into the receptacle (i.e., not threaded)?

Liked
    3 times

I find that the aftermarket parts stores are 25% of the time wrong with Tuneup parts when it comes to Toyota stuff.

I find this very true with Napa supplied stores and Straus auto. Their parts listing in the database is error ridden. And they argue all the time that THIS IS the correct part. Until I would bring in the O/E part. then the dummies say ...well maybe it was not originally installed correct by the Factory! heard this a million times.

When I tuneup other peoples Toys I insist on O/E stuff.
    LT

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by LifeTech View Post
    I find that the aftermarket parts stores are 25% of the time wrong with Tuneup parts when it comes to Toyota stuff.
    I would a step further and say 50%. I only buy oils etc from shops, all other stuff OEM.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by ddvk View Post
    I would a step further and say 50%. I only buy oils etc from shops, all other stuff OEM.
    yu are dead on correct.
    50% is more dead on.... with my old 88 Corolla every single aftermarket part was incorrect. But at 12-18 years old already I lived on aftermarket exhausts, brakes and mufflers and caps with integrated ign. wires and the like. They couldn't even get the spark plugs right! Kept insisting the database was right. Insisting I had a US built Corolla FX. Parts were way different than my Jap. Built 5-speed 4dr Deluxe.
    I remember one Napa store got tired of me and would not sell me parts anymore. I would walk in for say an alternator and he would just tell me to give up if I'm there for Corolla parts. They would always order the part and IT would be wrong. I could even bring in the part I needed and they would still get it wrong.
    I say it partially Toyotas fault in general and the way they publish vague parts information to the aftermarket industry. It keeps owners coming back to the dealer for maintenance parts. (Toyotas biggest profit maker)

Dealer parts were just cost prohibitive on a vehicle this old and is not worth much. But this was very frustrating in the aftermarket world.

LT

Liked
    3 times

Picture of location...do yu want me to show yu a pix.
    say so I will do that for yu.

LT

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

if any one has a pic of location that would be great

Liked
    0 times
    Images

yes a pix please