PO420 & PO430 on '03 Highlander

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: PO420 & PO430 on '03 Highlander

Liked
    1 times

Default PO420 & PO430 on '03 Highlander

I understand these codes have been associated with a TSB regarding reflashing the ECM. My mechanic said that the Toyota warranty covers up to 96 months or 80k miles - I've got 120k or so. According to him the job to reflash shows as .5 hours, but the local dealer is quoting $150 to do the job. Is this reasonable? Or should I make the case that it really should be done for nothing as there is a known issue covered by the TSB? (EG041-05)

Ken

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: PO420 & PO430 on '03 Highlander

First off P0420/P0430 are complicated codes mapped to emissions.

It is my 100% absoulte certainity that both these codes will go away once you replace plugs and O2 sensors. Source them from stealership or NGK Spark plug, NGK Spark Plug wire, NGK Platinum Spark plug for High Performance and Racing.

Trust me this advice is from my own experience.. Don't get carried away on cats/pre-cats/reflash etc etc.

Liked
    5 times

Does this ECM flash cover 2004 also?
    I won't try to sell you any snake oil.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by ddvk View Post
    First off P0420/P0430 are complicated codes mapped to emissions.

It is my 100% absoulte certainity that both these codes will go away once you replace plugs and O2 sensors. Source them from stealership or NGK Spark plug, NGK Spark Plug wire, NGK Platinum Spark plug for High Performance and Racing.

Trust me this advice is from my own experience.. Don't get carried away on cats/pre-cats/reflash etc etc.
    Thanks. I contacted Toyota, and was told this re-flash was already done, back in 2007 when my wife took it in for a rear door lock related recall. I just had a mechanic look at the car and he seemed to think it will need a new cat, since the rear sensor readout was fluctuating quite a bit. Is there anything you can suggest as a way to be more certain that a cat isn't needed?
    Thanks.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by deadrx7conv View Post
    Does this ECM flash cover 2004 also?
    It looks like 2001-2003:
    "SPECIAL SERVICE CAMPAIGN 60I
    (CERTAIN 2001 THROUGH 2003 MODEL YEAR 4-CYLINDER HIGHLANDER AND CERTAIN
    2001 THROUGH 2002 MODEL YEAR RAV4 ECM REPROGRAMMING)"

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    Thanks. I contacted Toyota, and was told this re-flash was already done, back in 2007 when my wife took it in for a rear door lock related recall. I just had a mechanic look at the car and he seemed to think it will need a new cat, since the rear sensor readout was fluctuating quite a bit. Is there anything you can suggest as a way to be more certain that a cat isn't needed?
    Thanks.
    Cats-Precats are designed for the life of the vehicle. I had a 00 Maxima and the cats-precats worked like a gem from whatever I got from the emissions/smog checks. Until I traded into getting a Lexus, 11 yrs and counting the cats were just fine. The O2s do get fouled and need replacement, urs is a 03 highlander, so I bet its not ur cats. My $0.02.

Liked
    0 times

My 04 V6 started throwing the po420 and po430 codes yesterday. A read a lot of people saying it is probably the 02 sensor but which one? Mine are due at I have 190k on mine and this is the first thing that has broken.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by breugel View Post
    My 04 V6 started throwing the po420 and po430 codes yesterday. A read a lot of people saying it is probably the 02 sensor but which one? Mine are due at I have 190k on mine and this is the first thing that has broken.
    Replace all don't waste ur time hunting which one.. U got ur moneys worth with 190K.
    Usually they last 80-100K. U must have done some serious PM and excellent gas to get so far...

Liked
    0 times

Replace all don't waste ur time hunting which one.. U got ur moneys worth with 190K.
    Usually they last 80-100K. U must have done some serious PM and excellent gas to get so far...
    The vast majority of that is 70+mph highway

I reset the codes. I have driven about 100 miles and it still has not come on again.

Liked
    1 times

The O2s do get fouled and need replacement, urs is a 03 highlander, so I bet its not ur cats. My $0.02.
    Thanks. I will be replacing all 4 O2 sensors and will post my results here when I have a sense of how it's gone.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by kgilbertsen View Post
    Thanks. I will be replacing all 4 O2 sensors and will post my results here when I have a sense of how it's gone.
    Rent the O2 sensor removal tool from Autozone and also on the sensor threads NEVER put antisieze. Just a damb of engine oil will do and DONOT drop them, they are made of ceramic and they are useless if dropped.

Be nice to them and they will last another 100K miles easily.. by then it is time to junk and spice up ur life w/ a new vehicle.

BKM: Spray PB blaster on them overnight, then start the vehciele and warm up the engine a little bit some amount of heat to the cats are good enough to break them loose. I like the ones from NGK.com as they come with end connectors, no splicing no nonsense...

Good luck and keep us posted

Liked
    1 times

I mis-wrote - I'm not doing the job, my mechanic is. I recently did the same job on my Sequoia, which was a real pita (the front sensor anyway). He's got the Highlander, doing the 90k service + replacing a leaking power steering line + the O2 sensors + what I am hoping is just a bad pulley. This guy is very good, extremely honest, and reasonable with his prices. And I'm getting old...

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-04-2012, 08:41 AM
  2. 05-15-2012, 05:37 PM
  3. 11-28-2011, 10:47 PM