10000 mile oil change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By David Jones
  • 1 Post By deadrx7conv
  • 1 Post By 73mach1429

Thread: 10000 mile oil change

Liked
    0 times

Default 10000 mile oil change

wtf 10000 mile between oil changes that what a 2011 highlanders calls for

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lifer - Moving Forward ---> bob259's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: 10000 mile oil change

All the new Toyota/Lexus have gone to the 10K change interval.
    08 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited (former ride - 05 Tundra Limited Double Cab, 4x4, TRD Pkg, Trailer Tow, Auto Dimming mirror, Factory Bed Liner, Running Boards, Bug Deflector, Sun roof):

Wife's Car :09 Prius - Silver, Solar Roof, Leather.

Oh by the way, "Batteries are included" with the Prius & Highlander Hybrids

Liked
    4 times

Pl. attach the TSB relating to this annoucement. I was told some models are recommended for the 10K OCI while many are still being 5K OCI

Liked
    7 times
    Images

You need to do what feels right for your driving situation. I've been using synthetic oil and good filters in my 2006 Tundra and running 10,000 miles between changes for years. 2 different oil analysis's by Blackstone Labs confirms that I could have gone farther before the oil additives died. I do spend a lot of time on the freeway though. If I drove a lot of short trips or around town stuff I'd shorten the interval. Our 2012 Highlander boasts 10,000 mile changes while using 0W-20 (gotta be like water....) synthetic. Will I do it? At least on the 1st change I'll do it myself @ 5000 miles and then I'll let the "Toyota Care" free change do it at 10K and then 20K.
    If you have reservations about going 10K miles between changes I might suggest sending off for a Blackstone Lab's kit and let them verify the oils condition after going the distance.
    kerryman71 and Hippo like this.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

This was a double post that I couldn't delete.
    Last edited by David Jones; 10-05-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Liked
    57 times

Our 11 calls for 10k, I change it at every 5k with 0w-20. Call me old school.

Liked
    5 times

Lower the cost of ownership and reduce the hassle of more frequent changes is a great marketing move. Not sure why WTF would be called for.
    For a non-severe service using a full synthetic, 10k is nothing new. My '08 requires 5k changes with mineral oil. I am now changing at the 10k point. No point in draining perfectly good oil and is why a UOA can help alleviate fear if you're that afraid. BTW, there is nothing wrong with doing a couple early changes too, to rinse out break-in wear.

Get a good bypass filter and you'd NEVER have to change the oil. Just top off for consumption and filter changes and drive! But, we can't expect and automaker to mass install bypass filters. The dealer would lose all that service bay revenue.
    Hippo likes this.
    I won't try to sell you any snake oil.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

It's not the additives in the oil breaking down that bothers me, it the oil getting dirty that I don't like. Advances in PCV systems keep the oil cleaner longer. However, I am old school. The 2 best things you do for you car is change the oil frequently and wash it often. If you only keep the car 60-70k miles, then I guess you might consider it wasting money. If you want to keep it 200,000, 300,000 miles, don't wait til 10k. Just my opinion.
    Hippo likes this.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

dont listen to the dealer do the first oil change a lot earlier.

Liked
    802 times
    Images

Why?

John
    The fools, the fools the fools! They have left us
    our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these
    graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace!

Padraig Mac Piarais (Patrick Pearse)

Liked
    4 times

10K is doable with good filter and a good syn (Mobil1 or PP). These engines have gotten very good.
    If you drive less then 10 miles a day round trip you will see dilution in the oil and I would stick with syn w/ 7.5K. If u drive >30 miles a day round trip, 10K is really doable.

Liked
    1 times

We just purchased a 2013 Highlander 4WD V6. It uses full synthetic 0w20 oil and the change intervals are 10,000 miles.
    I realize that Toyota corporate and the dealers have to strike a balance between what is truly mechanically safe while at the same time allowing the dealers sales opportunities for their service departments.
    Personally, for more than 20 years, I've taken a balanced approach while doing my own oil changes. I have used Amsoil products, but changed them at no more than 10,000 miles. I have never had a lubrication related issue with any of the 7 different vehicles I've owned during this time. With this in mind, I have little reservation about allowing my dealer perform the required oil changes.
    They have taken good care of my 2003 Tundra over the years though it rarely needed more than routine services, and were invaluable when diagnosing a noise in the drive train after a significant accident that nearly totaled my truck in 2007.
    Maxtorqe
    2003 Tundra Access Cab SR5 V8 4X4
    No real mods just:
    NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs
    Michelin LTX/MS2 - 265/70 R17s
    Bilstein HD shocks (non TRD)
    Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar
    10 Years - 160,000 miles and counting...

2013 Highlander 4WD Limited V6
    (The wife's ride, but I do admit to liking it too.)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

STOP CHANGING YOUR OIL BY EDMUNDS.COM Breaking the 3,000-Mile Habit

Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com

Liked
    14 times

Quote Originally Posted by deadrx7conv View Post

Get a good bypass filter and you'd NEVER have to change the oil.
    Very wrong. HUGE misconception.

You can filter your oil till the cows come home thats not often the savior. There are many additives that get used up in normal use and combustion byproducts accumulate (acids). Filters have no effect on this. Same goes for the people who opt to change their filter a 5k when running the oil for 10k. None of this is needed when UOA's are coming back so clean...changing filter and adding bypass filters are 100% useless in these situations.

Now, when you're talking 25k oil changes, that begins to change. Oil bypass filters can...I say can... help extend the oil interval IF there are contaminant there to filter AND the oil still have active additives. Very few will do this with gas engines...its not at all common.

Anyway. Point is...when the oil's additives are used up and combustion byproducts (acids) begin to build, there is no filter in the world that will save you. You'll be running clean oil...but there's a lot more to engine oil than just being "clean"!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.