Clearing diagnostic codes?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Clearing diagnostic codes?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Clearing diagnostic codes?

I just got the Check Engine/VSC lights on, and discovered a vacuum hose off from a recent air cleaner service.
    This has been reported several times over at the Edmunds discussion group.
    But, how do you clear the codes? I reattached the hose, but the lights remain. Will they learn everything's OK?
    In my Mazda, you disconnect the battery and depress the brake pedal for a certain length of time to clear codes. Is there something similar for the HL?
    I don't have my manuals handy.

Jonas

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Assistant Administrator nhparrot's Avatar
    Liked
    19 times

Quote Originally Posted by jrfiero
    I just got the Check Engine/VSC lights on, and discovered a vacuum hose off from a recent air cleaner service.
    This has been reported several times over at the Edmunds discussion group.
    But, how do you clear the codes? I reattached the hose, but the lights remain. Will they learn everything's OK?
    In my Mazda, you disconnect the battery and depress the brake pedal for a certain length of time to clear codes. Is there something similar for the HL?
    I don't have my manuals handy.

Jonas
    You do not have to reset it when there is a problem:

The Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) comes on when the ignition switch is turned ON and the engine is not running. When the engine is started, the MIL should go off. If the lamp remains on, the diagnosis system has detected a malfunction or abnormality in the system.

In addition to the MIL lighting up when a malfunction is detected, the applicable Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) prescribed by SAE J2012 are recorded in the ECM memory. If the malfunction does not reoccur in 3 consecutive trips, the MIL goes off automatically but the DTCs remain recorded in the ECM memory.
    ~Glenn
    Yes I am a pirate!

"To err is human. To arrr is pirate."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Auto reset didn't work

Thanks for the info, Glenn.
    However, it didn't work that way - had me worried! The MIL did not go off after numerous trips. I disconnected the battery, then held the brake pedal down 30 seconds (a Mazda thing). Lights are off, and they haven't recurred. 'Course I had to reset the radio ...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Clearing diagnostic codes?

I have 95 toyota camary ve le and malfunction lamp light comes on and i check everything and finally i check back compartment light and it is not working so this is to this problem i need help how to resolve the problem

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: Clearing diagnostic codes?

Quote Originally Posted by rkpatel_76 View Post
    I have 95 toyota camary ve le and malfunction lamp light comes on and i check everything and finally i check back compartment light and it is not working so this is to this problem i need help how to resolve the problem

yu seem to be way off base with your issue.

LT

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM