Steering Wheel Shakes When Speed Over 65 MPH

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Steering Wheel Shakes When Speed Over 65 MPH

Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Steering Wheel Shakes When Speed Over 65 MPH

My 05 HL LTD was great. It was really smooth while driving at high speed. However, the factory installed Goodyear only lasted 25K.

We just had a set of 4 new Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza installed at Firestone and they were pushing for alignment. They even showed me the computer read out that the wheels are out of alignment. I eventually said "YES" and now the steering wheel is shaking at high speed.

They have rebalanced the tires twice already. Is this the problem of defect tires or the alignment?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Steering Wheel Shakes When Speed Over 65 MPH

Quote Originally Posted by anwang168 View Post
    My 05 HL LTD was great. It was really smooth while driving at high speed. However, the factory installed Goodyear only lasted 25K.

We just had a set of 4 new Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza installed at Firestone and they were pushing for alignment. They even showed me the computer read out that the wheels are out of alignment. I eventually said "YES" and now the steering wheel is shaking at high speed.

They have rebalanced the tires twice already. Is this the problem of defect tires or the alignment?
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but an alignment problem is not going to make your wheel shake at high speeds. This is either caused by a defective tire or a tire that is not balanced properly. Can also be a wheel bearing or loose lug nuts but since you didn't have any problems before you got your new tires I don't think it's a wheel bearing. You need to go back to where ever you got those tires at. Just my opinion, Johnnny
    2004 Ford Lightning (Sonic Blue)
    2003 Cobra with LOTS of work : ) (BLACK)
    1996 Cobra (White)
    1999 Tacoma 4 wheel drive (Purple in Color)
    2002 Tundra Limited (Dark Green or Jade In Color)
    2002 Chevy Corvette Z06 (Candy Apple Red)
    2003 HighLander Limited (Silver In Color)
    2005 Sequoia Limited (Phantom Grey)

Liked
    0 times

My wife's 01 Highlander has a similar issue every now and then. The steering wheel will vibrate at some speeds (varies) and the simple fix that I've always done is just have the tires rotated and balanced.

I don't know what it is with the Highlander but it seems overly sensitive to wheels being slightly out of balance.

It's a GREAT vehicle otherwise!
    Scott Wallace
    (A.K.A. BoloMK33)
    shwallace@ca.rr.com
    2007 Camry LE V6

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I have to keep on top of the balancing/rotation schedule on my wife's too. I got in it the other day and at about 60 I had a slight shake. My Tundra is a pain to keep balanced too and this has been a common discussion on the Tundra board too.

For the Tundra, it appears that a special cone is required on the balancing machine to get the wheel properly centered. My Discount tire dealer has also said that the rims are thick and getting the weights to stay on is a problem - sometimes they've used stick-on weights. I don't know if that is the same problem with the Highlander, but I need to get back by the shop. I wonder if I could get my wife to take the vehicle...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hello everyone, I just rotated my tires on my 06 Tundra and my steering wheel just started shaking so i am guessing that i could be a balance problem?

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Join the club. Time to get over to the tire store and adjust some weight.

Liked
    1 times

There's a fix for Sequoias that involves increasing the caster to the maximum recommended figure (or beyond, if out of warranty) rather than the median. The idea is to increase resistance to such wobbling, much like the extended forks of a chopper keep it stable in a straight line. My .02

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Similarly, I have a vibration right around 40 mph that is most noticeable in the seats and floor but sometimes in the steering wheel when braking. I don't feel it as much at higher speeds until around 70 mph. The tires have been balanced and rotated twice but the problem is still there. Could it be something other than a balance issue?

LinkBacks (?)