V6 Timing Belt/water Pump Change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: V6 Timing Belt/water Pump Change

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default V6 Timing Belt/water Pump Change

I'm getting ready to change t-belt, water pump, and idler pulleys on my 2003 v6 highlander. Anybody have some "heads up" before I do the job?
    I'm a little nervous about pulling the timing gears off for the pump change.
    I thought about saving my new replacement idlers for the 160k belt change if the current ones (85K miles) are firm.
    Mike G.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    11 times

Default Re: V6 Timing Belt/water Pump Change

if you are not getting noise from the timing belt area and have no leaks, then wait until 2010 to replace the belt. the belt does not wear. it degrades over time. as far as a "heads up", cam timing and crank pulley bolt torque is where most people make their mistakes. good luck yspert
    Graduated from Y to Z status. I only work for "likes"!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanx for your response. By the way, I saw no specific info in the knowledge base to guide me through the belt change. Does my subscription give me access to highlander repair manuals?

Liked
    3 times

FYI, if yu post your request in the subscriber assistance forum they might be able to supply yu the pdf section of your repair. try to be specific.

LifeTech

Liked
    3 times

Belts wearing off is a function of many things. I would replace my belts once it hits 60K miles, wouldn't wait till it snaps and are stranded in some desolate highway!!!

BTW, belts change in most newer vehicles seems to be the forte of the stealership, so pay and get it done from them.

Liked
    3 times

With Toyotas at least, I feel most dealerships excell at these Timing belt changes. It is very invloved . It is the most expensive proposition that is fundamental to any Toyota as far as routine maintenance is concerned.

The dealer will do it right. Shop around. Dealers do vary in price on this Timing belt replacement. And there are related parts required for the job. Waterpump change might be a practical part to do at the same time since the labor is native to both the Belt and water pump. Depends on the mileage etc. Definitely change as per Maintenance Mileage interval.
    For instance, my 01 Avalon is 120K miles for the 3.0L and my H/L is 90k for the 3.3L.

Toyotas recommendation is good regarding "predictable " failure of the Timing belt. At least from my experience in the last 8 or so Toys I've had. And from working at the dealer.