2006 Highlander Low Tire Pressure Indicator

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2006 Highlander Low Tire Pressure Indicator

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2006 Highlander Low Tire Pressure Indicator

Bought a 2006 Highlander and the tire indicator light was on. Dealer turned off indicator after checking the car and finding nothing. Light came on again. Problem was found and fixed when a slow leak was discovered in the tire that was caused by a nail. Had 5,000 mile checkup and light came on again after about 10 miles. Took the car right back and was told it was probably due to the rotation of the tires done in a 5,000 mile checkup. Turned light off and about 25 miles later the light came on again. Tire pressure in the tires are from 32.5 to 34.0 (put in by Toyota). Is there an underlying problem for these cars to have a indicator that has a problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2006 Highlander Low Tire Pressure Indicator

There are two ways to reset the indicator light - the first is to hold down the button (hidden under the dashboard next to the steering column) until the light goes out. That's a reset.
    There's also a reactivation, you hold the button until the light flashes three times and then release, that's for use after a wheel is changed, etc. Make sure they have done the reactivation, not just the reset.
    If that doesn't work, have them check the technical service bulletins.

Good luck,
    Dorothy

Liked
    0 times

Not sure if you've read this before, but did the dealer check the spare, just about everyone gets caught with this one once.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by dorothypbowers View Post
    There are two ways to reset the indicator light - the first is to hold down the button (hidden under the dashboard next to the steering column) until the light goes out. That's a reset.
    There's also a reactivation, you hold the button until the light flashes three times and then release, that's for use after a wheel is changed, etc. Make sure they have done the reactivation, not just the reset.
    If that doesn't work, have them check the technical service bulletins.

Good luck,
    Dorothy
    Beg to differ... Reactivation or Reset... same thing when yu simply press the Reset Button. It will simply recalibrate the TPMS ECU.

Yes in one example with the low PSI light ON, pressing the button will put out the light. But, pressing the button after a rotation or air pressure adjust will merely recalibrate the TPMS ECU like the above as well.

The button just Recalibrates in any situation. Remember that the H/L TPMS is an Indirect Type system.

LT

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by eddiec View Post
    Not sure if you've read this before, but did the dealer check the spare, just about everyone gets caught with this one once.
    Everyone gets confused on this. I see it all the time.

The Highlander uses an Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring System versus Direct type.

There is NO transponder in the air valve. The H/L uses a plain tire old valve. Thus, there is no PSI reading done by this Indirect Type System.
    It uses the ABS speed sensors to calculate differences of tire rotational speed among the Four rolling tires(the Spare IS NOT included).
    When the spare tire is put on, say when yu get a flat tire, the TPMS button must be pressed. (Recalibrated)

Direct Type TPMS costs more for Toyota and only puts it on select models. i.e. the Land Cruiser...
    But for Toyota, the Indirect System meets DOT's TPMS mandated minimum Requirements for 2007 vehicles.

The Direct type system uses a transponder/PSI reader type Air Valve on each tire(including the Spare). Each of the 5 tires send a reading of the PSI to the reciever in the Vehicles TPMS ECU.
    It has a small battery and is self powered. Battery must be replaced when yu replace your tires. It must be carefully mounted. Each tire has it's owner frequency channel and ID. for it to be recognized by the ECU.
    This system is more precise. But has it's own set problems as a result.

It is the original design TPMS going back to the 1980's introduced with the Corvette and the Runflat Tire option.

LT

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

is 2004 highlander equipped wth TPMS? i had 4 brand new goodyear tires installed last week and i keep getting the warning about my tires. i kept resetting and resetting and it still coming on few minutes after driving. tire pressure on all 4 is 32

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by trollies00 View Post
    is 2004 highlander equipped wth TPMS? i had 4 brand new goodyear tires installed last week and i keep getting the warning about my tires. i kept resetting and resetting and it still coming on few minutes after driving. tire pressure on all 4 is 32
    I have the same thing.

Liked
    0 times

just bought a H/L with the same problem. Mike Shaw Toyota here in Corpus Christi,Texas said it was the spare. Check the pressure on the spare breugel.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

you have to follow the owners manual steps exactly or it will come back o n

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i have read the manual and followed it to the dot. My tires are fine and with correct PSI checked every morning. But it comes back within 5 miles of driving everytime. Is resetting battery a good idea? take battery off for few minutes and connect it back?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by LifeTech View Post
    Everyone gets confused on this. I see it all the time.

The Highlander uses an Indirect Tire Pressure Monitoring System versus Direct type.

There is NO transponder in the air valve. The H/L uses a plain tire old valve. Thus, there is no PSI reading done by this Indirect Type System.
    It uses the ABS speed sensors to calculate differences of tire rotational speed among the Four rolling tires(the Spare IS NOT included).
    When the spare tire is put on, say when yu get a flat tire, the TPMS button must be pressed. (Recalibrated)

Direct Type TPMS costs more for Toyota and only puts it on select models. i.e. the Land Cruiser...
    But for Toyota, the Indirect System meets DOT's TPMS mandated minimum Requirements for 2007 vehicles.

The Direct type system uses a transponder/PSI reader type Air Valve on each tire(including the Spare). Each of the 5 tires send a reading of the PSI to the reciever in the Vehicles TPMS ECU.
    It has a small battery and is self powered. Battery must be replaced when yu replace your tires. It must be carefully mounted. Each tire has it's owner frequency channel and ID. for it to be recognized by the ECU.
    This system is more precise. But has it's own set problems as a result.

It is the original design TPMS going back to the 1980's introduced with the Corvette and the Runflat Tire option.

LT
    I know that it has been awhile since you posted this but I needed to respond and tell you how much I appreciated your answer. You actually know what the heck you're talking about. I went to the Toyota dealer and asked the service guy how my 2005 Highlander monitored tire pressure if there were no monitoring valve stems in the tire? He had no clue but did want me to have their "techncian" check the car out. He initially didn't admit that he had no clue. He tried to BS me with mumbo jumbo but I presisted and continued to ask him to clarify and explain the BS he was pushing. When he finally realized that I wasn't a moron and wasn't just going to let him BS me, he finally admitted that he didn't know how the tire pressure was monitored but still wanted me to leave the car and have his technicians check the car out. So I came here and your explanation seems to make sense. At least it's a way to monitor tire pressure indirectly without the valve stem monitors. Thanks again.

Liked
    3 times

I went out on a limb with too much technical stuff. I tried to keep it simple.

Service writers are not Techs. and there is an informational gap between the two and the customer never gets the actual issue and understanding of the problem.

Thanx for the compliment. Great to see 5 years later.... someone was happy to understand it better.

LT