How a properly built exhaust system works - Page 27

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1722232425262728293031 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: How a properly built exhaust system works

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: How a properly built exhaust system works

yeah, i slept on a 14" magnaflow thats now off the reno craigslist. kicking myself on that one. all id like to do is replace the muffler and leave the stock tubing, which is a little under 2 1/2" right? ive tried checking out your website for prices also but it must not like firefox, all i see is a jumble of text

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

I was thinking about picking up a 04 exhaust manifold gasket and a 06 gasket. That may tell us if the longtubes will possibly block off the AIP ports. Looks like they will be partially blocked off at least.

Last edited by Closer; 10-26-2012 at 08:53 AM.
    escondidotundra likes this.

Liked
    359 times

Quote Originally Posted by Closer View Post
    I was thinking about picking up a 04 exhaust manifold gasket and a 06 gasket. That may tell us if the longtubes will possibly block off the AIP ports. Looks like they will be partially blocked off at least.

ya, ever since the thread about the air injection pump bypass module has come out I've been meaning to go to the dealer and match em up. But I can tell by that pic that the aip port won't be covered by the headers. Looks like there's room to put in a separate plug though. So I think the next step is to find out the exact size of the hole and thread it for a plug
    I like to build BAmufflers

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Maybe a bolt on plate that goes over the top of the header flange or maybe weld on some plate but that would probably warp the flange. I wanna see what the exhaust ports look like but I don't wanna pull the manifolds to do it.

Liked
    2026 times
    Images

I have a set of those gaskets (2004) if anyone is interested in them - you pay shipping and I send.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    272,449 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    26 times

Kieth! Finally getting those Pacesetters installed!!! When i get back from Florida i'll get the rest of the system welded up. That may be the only reason i come back lol!

Liked
    359 times

Can't wait! Plz post up tons of pics

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by escondidotundra View Post
    sounds good, I can really help. You can have headers, and have it quiet enough to take the kids to school. All while gaining 20-30 hp to the ground!!

Keith 760-877-4234
    **Update**

I had the SC installed by Sparks Toyota in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina last month. The power increase was less than I expected, but I want to cover the only exhaust on this thread.

They put in the Doug Thorley long tube headers. The silver coating (HPC?) on the headers out of the box looked impressive in a gleaming silver color. I read on a blog that these headers had an inferior coating. That was just not the case here. They look awesome! (Pics to follow). The 02 sensors were also installed and the exhaust tech mated the headers perfectly to my existing Magnaflow custom cat-back (I kept the cats in).

The exhaust got a noticeably louder all the way around - first while I am calmly driving around town and then especially louder during WOT or short blasts that get the RPM's up over 4k. Everyone in traffic turns to stare when I get on it. This isn't good for me as I don't want or need any attention PD or some road-rage queen.

I am now getting frequent 'check engine light' codes with a resultant loss in some power. My local dealer cannot figure it out and frankly, he doesn't care. They told me to go back to SC and get them to fix it as they installed everything. This dealer btw, also was very quick to accuse me of installing 'non-Toyota' parts. I jumped on that and told them everything is not only TRD, but installed by a Toyota dealer. This dealer has a rep for being incompetent but with a CEL code, I had no choice but to go there.

I gave them two phone #'s to Sparks: the service manager and the Master Tech who did the SC and header install. They were never consulted and this dealer gave me back the truck with just a reset and tried to charge me $60 for a 'diagnostic fee'. (It runs rich now and I am getting 3 mpg less). I could understand them not wanting to to touch anything they didn't install and I was glad to get the truck back in only 2 days with a comp loaner car. But they are a Toyota dealer and they do install TRD SC's and I felt they could have just called Sparks and would have avoided so much aggravation. I specifically told them that. I'm also under warranty and I refused to pay the fee. The service manager agreed and let me go but not before I reminded him that he had two phone #'s who were not consulted available to assist his techs.

I'm pretty confident it is the 02 sensors to blame and am not worried about it. Now I understand how much work guys who upgrade their trucks have to go through to get things dialed in. Myrtle beach is 6 hours away from me, so it's not a trip I can take on short notice.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

sounds good, I can really help. You can have headers, and have it quiet enough to take the kids to school. All while gaining 20-30 hp to the ground!!

Keith 760-877-4234
    **Update**

I had the SC installed by Sparks Toyota in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina last month. The power increase was less than I expected, but I want to cover the only exhaust on this thread.

They put in the Doug Thorley long tube headers. The silver coating (HPC?) on the headers out of the box looked impressive in a gleaming silver color. I read on a blog that these headers had an inferior coating. That was just not the case here. They look awesome! (Pics to follow). The 02 sensors were also installed and the exhaust tech mated the headers perfectly to my existing Magnaflow custom cat-back (I kept the cats in).

The exhaust got a noticeably louder all the way around - first while I am calmly driving around town and then especially louder during WOT or short blasts that get the RPM's up over 4k. Everyone in traffic turns to stare when I get on it. This isn't good for me as I don't want or need any attention PD or some road-rage queen.

I am now getting frequent 'check engine light' codes with a resultant loss in some power. My local dealer cannot figure it out and frankly, he doesn't care. They told me to go back to SC and get them to fix it as they installed everything. This dealer btw, also was very quick to accuse me of installing 'non-Toyota' parts. I jumped on that and told them everything is not only TRD, but installed by a Toyota dealer. This dealer has a rep for being incompetent but with a CEL code, I had no choice but to go there.

I gave them two phone #'s to Sparks: the service manager and the Master Tech who did the SC and header install. They were never consulted and this dealer gave me back the truck with just a reset and tried to charge me $60 for a 'diagnostic fee'. (It runs rich now and I am getting 3 mpg less). I could understand them not wanting to to touch anything they didn't install and I was glad to get the truck back in only 2 days with a comp loaner car. But they are a Toyota dealer and they do install TRD SC's and I felt they could have just called Sparks and would have avoided so much aggravation. I specifically told them that. I'm also under warranty and I refused to pay the fee. The service manager agreed and let me go but not before I reminded him that he had two phone #'s who were not consulted available to assist his techs.

I'm pretty confident it is the 02 sensors to blame and am not worried about it. Now I understand how much work guys who upgrade their trucks have to go through to get things dialed in. Myrtle beach is 6 hours away from me, so it's not a trip I can take on short notice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0651-1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	403.7 KB 
ID:	92937

Liked
    359 times

What code exactly are u getting?

Quote Originally Posted by TRDCrewMax View Post
    **Update**

I'm pretty confident it is the 02 sensors to blame and am not worried about it. Now I understand how much work guys who upgrade their trucks have to go through to get things dialed in. Myrtle beach is 6 hours away from me, so it's not a trip I can take on short notice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0651-1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	403.7 KB 
ID:	92937

Liked
    9 times
    Images

What code exactly are u getting?
    I am getting Check Engine Light. Reduced power, rich condition.

Liked
    359 times

Quote Originally Posted by TRDCrewMax View Post
    I am getting Check Engine Light. Reduced power, rich condition.
    When the ecu turns on the check engine light there could be more than 1 problem so the light is always accompanied by a code. This code will indicate which part of the system has the problem. I'm really curious which code you're throwing. My bet would be po420-430 indicating that your cats are bad, but since they're missing that would explain it. If that was the code that you had I'm surprise that you're running rich.

Do you have a way to pull the code?? Meaning do ya have a code scanner?

Liked
    9 times
    Images

When the ecu turns on the check engine light there could be more than 1 problem so the light is always accompanied by a code. This code will indicate which part of the system has the problem. I'm really curious which code you're throwing. My bet would be po420-430 indicating that your cats are bad, but since they're missing that would explain it. If that was the code that you had I'm surprise that you're running rich.

Local Toyota dealer wouldn't tell me what the engine code was exactly except that he said it had something to do with the 02 sensors (have Throley long tubes with dummy sensors)...he may have reset by answering 02 sensors that were perhaps sensing false lean condition. The truck is now rich...I had a brief episode of good power. Then the check engine light came back on...reducing power again. I have a loss of 3 mpg. I am waiting to go back up to s. Carolina to have them examine it. They said the Check engine light not a big issue so I can drive it. I still have my cats installed. Truck has only 9k miles on it. Cats are still good I think. I miss the power I am supposed to have gotten with a supercharger!!

I am going back to the local dealer to see what the code pulled was exactly. Will report back when I find out.
    Last edited by TRDCrewMax; 01-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

The Check engine light put itself out again. My MPG went up 3 to 16.4 again. (Not running as rich). It still doesn't have that tire burning power that I expected.

Also went back to the exhaust guy here. He said he wants to replace the 18" Magnadrones with the 22" ones first before he goes to a resonator. I think i'm gonna call you today.

Liked
    359 times

I can work out an exhaust for ya too if ya want....In the mean time, feel free to give me a call, I'd like to pick your brain and see what's going on with your truck, sounds fishy and I'm now very curious.

Also, I wanted to throw it out there, have ya considered buying yourself a code scanner. With all the dealer run around and not telling you the codes and what not scan it yourself and tell them the code. Then google the code with the year and make of vehicle, often times others have had the problem and you discover possible fixes for the problem. Without the code you're shooting in the dark and the dealer possibly knows this, know what I mean?

Keith 760-877-4234

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-08-2013, 06:09 PM
  2. 10-05-2013, 05:39 PM
  3. 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM
  4. 08-25-2013, 02:04 PM
  5. 08-15-2013, 12:31 PM
  6. 07-26-2013, 06:18 PM
  7. 05-31-2013, 09:05 AM
  8. 05-23-2013, 10:28 AM
  9. 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM