Trouble Code PO420

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trouble Code PO420

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Trouble Code PO420

Today my check engine light came on just after filling the tank with gas. A scan gave me code PO420 Which is: "Catalyst System Below Efficiency Threshold Bank 1".

I then erased the code and then took the truck out for a drive of about three or four miles but the check engine light did not reappear.

Any ideas as to what may be going on?
    Imagination is more vivid than reality.

Earl

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    568 times
    Images

Default Re: Trouble Code PO420

in the past year (six months apart) i have had the same code twice. both times after putting in suspect MEXICAN gasoline. once from 5 gallon jugs and once from a state owned Pemex station. both times i cleared the code that was that. i don't know what the description means but i'm glad to see someone else has a gas related symptom. you probably got some contaminated/watered down gas..... i wouldn't worry.
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thanks Baja... that's precisely what I needed to know. It makes sense given the nature of the code.
    The code means that the catalytic converter, located between the two bank-1 oxygen sensors, is not performing as well as it should perform. Steam probably has a too high oxygen content.
    Last edited by ejsharp; 04-17-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Earl

Liked
    2978 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ejsharp View Post
    ...The code means that the catalytic converter, located between the two bank 1 oxygen sensors, is not performing as well as it should perform...
    Not necessarily. It usually means that the sensor itself is failing. I have yet to see someone post up this code and it turned out it really was a failed catalytic converter.
    stanappel likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Veteran Member 2003bajatundra4x4ac's Avatar
    Liked
    568 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    Not necessarily. It usually means that the sensor itself is failing. I have yet to see someone post up this code and it turned out it really was a failed catalytic converter.
    so does that mean, "don't worry about it?" WHAT is the "sensor?'
    All you Baja lovers check out: http://www.MasOlas.com

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I'm not saying that the catalytic converter is failing rather I'm saying that the gases inside the catalytic converter temporarily contain steam because of water contamination in the fuel. Therefore neither the sensors nor the converter are bad. They are doing what they are supposed to do. The oxygen sensors are telling the computer that the fumes inside the catalytic converter contain elements that ain't supposed to be in there... namely steam which is hot water (H2O) the chemical symbol for water and which means 2 parts hydrogen to 1 part oxygen. The oxygen sensor at the South end of the converter sniffs the oxygen in the steam and reports to the computer which in turn activates the check engine light.

Another way of looking at it is that if you have lots of hydrogen and a good deal of oxygen, and if you mixed them together 2 to 1... you could take a bath!
    Last edited by ejsharp; 04-17-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Earl

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Who's got the soap!?

Earl

Liked
    115 times
    Images

I posted about this a few weeks ago and I too have had my tundra throw that code for the past 5 years every 6 months or so. With a scangauge I just reset it and continued on my way. I know it wasn't the cat because I have had my truck smogged in California twice since it started to throw the code and the emissions were perfect. I know the code points to below threshold emissions but that is what the sensor is reporting, what about the sensor? The code started to appear more often until it came on every other time I drove. I ordered a new rear 02 sensor and replaced my rear O2 sensor and the code has stayed off since proving it was not the cat but the sensor. The OBDII never reported a sensor problem but that is what was causing the code. My rear sensor was over 145K old, can't complain. I have a 2000 V-6 manual turdra and have seen numerous reports of this over the years and most replaced the cat which is serious money, the only reason I never did this is because of my smog tests pointed to another problem.

Liked
    2978 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2003bajatundra4x4ac View Post
    so does that mean, "don't worry about it?" WHAT is the "sensor?'
    The "sensor" is the downstream oxygen sensor. It is an emissions control component installed in modern vehicles due to EPA emissions regulations. It is supposed to measure "catalyst efficiency", i.e. the ability of the catalytic converter to attenuate unburned hydrocarbons. I am of the opinion that this function is tenuous at best, at worst it is an easy money-maker for dealer service bays. They love to scare you with a failed cat story to the tune of $1,400 when the problem is a $90 sensor that anyone with a socket wrench can replace in 15 minutes.

Note that our 4-wire sensors are 'heated' units, i.e. in addition to a data feed it also is supplied power to get it up to operating temperature (~1500F) quickly so the data is valid. This heating element is statistically usually the failing element in these sensor units. When either the heating element fails/burns out or the sensor core is degraded and not able to properly measure the electrical resistance within specs, a CEL code is thrown.

Unlike the upstream fuel-air sensors, a failed/failing oxygen sensor doesn't negatively affect the actual operation of the vehicle's engine, that's why some people feel comfortable just disregarding it when it comes on.
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Remmy... I agree that, of the two, if it is a part failure then it is the sensor and not the cat. But I suspect that Baja and I may have developed the code because we each had run low on gas and may have picked up water condensation from a near empty fuel tank.

If so, the Southern sensor would see the water's oxygen as it passed through the cat and in turn reported a code condition to the computer. I'll keep an eye on things to see what happens in the future.

Earl

Liked
    0 times

I got a P0430 a while ago, cleared the code and it did not come back yet (drove about 2K miles since then). Get under the car, using your fist or a rubber mallet to bang on the converter. If it looks ok and you do not hear any rattling inside the converter, it is probably ok. Like some else said it could be bad gas, failing O2 sensor or just a “hick up”.
    bug deflector/side fender turn signal/went shades/back rack/tool box/rear strip light/nerf bars/top light bar/front alternating flashers/rear strobes in turn & stop lights/bedmatt & linert/all badges removed/Helwig sway bar

Liked
    2978 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ejsharp View Post
    Remmy... I agree that, of the two, if it is a part failure then it is the sensor and not the cat. But I suspect that Baja and I may have developed the code because we each had run low on gas and may have picked up water condensation from a near empty fuel tank.

If so, the Southern sensor would see the water's oxygen as it passed through the cat and in turn reported a code condition to the computer. I'll keep an eye on things to see what happens in the future.
    Earl,

Absolutely. If you can pinpoint an error code to the high probability of poor fuel quality, even better! No doubt you'll run into that type of situation in MX. Any SOTB trips I make (very few anymore), I always made sure to bring a bottle or two of Sta-Bil with me as insurance against degraded gasoline. Our EFI-controlled, emissions-monitored engines are just too sensitive.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

i got a p0420 code on my tundra. I switched the rear 02 sensors between the left and right but the code came back on bank 1. It didnt switch sides with the 02 sensors. Does that mean that the sensors arent the problem and i have an exhaust leak or bad cat on bank 1?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Did you clear the original code? If not it will keep your light on and it will appear as though you are picking up a code caused by the new arrangement. Clear your codes and then try the new arrangement.

Earl

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

No I did clear the code after switching the rear o2 sensors. It took several days and lots of miles for the light to come back on but it was the same code unfortunately.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.