O2 sensor and exhaust manifold problems

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: O2 sensor and exhaust manifold problems

Liked
    21 times

Default O2 sensor and exhaust manifold problems

I have just under 40,000 miles on my 2002 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4.... I've had the Rack and Pinion, fan belt, battery, and all the brakes replaced under warranty. I've been reading all of the nightmares concerning the cracked manifolds and faulty O2 sensors.

During cold mornings I have the exhaust leak sound under the hood. I brought it to a dealerships attention back when it was under warranty but they couldnt hear it. There is no doubt that i have at least one cracked manifold.

As far as the O2 sensors are concerned...... I feel like im driving a ticking time bomb.

I found this car review on another site that I believe is worth sharring. In my opinion, this guy has hit the nail on the head!

Summary:
    Reviewer Ted Larson is correct in being concerned about his exhaust manifolds. This is a serious problem. It happened to me at the 36,300 mile point, and Toyota did not want to cover it under warranty (they later reconsidered, but it took a month of calling/negotiating and was very distressin and painful). THIS IS NOT A MINOR PROBLEM!!! The cost to replace themanifold is $1,000. It is obviously a design/manufacturing problem and it seems like Toyota is just trying to ignore the problem until warranties run out and it becomes the problem of the buyer to fix. Additionally, when they mess around with the manifolds they dirty up the oxygen sensors which soon fail and cost $250 to replace. On top of that, it's about a 50/50 chance that when they pull out the oxygen sensor they're going to strip the delicate aluminum manifold, and so it will have to be replaced again at a cost of $1000. This is very bad for Toyota's reputation, and they should stand behind their customers on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    4 times

Mine cracked too. I guess you pay your money and take your chances when buying a vehicle these days. If it's any reassurance, the manifolds are stainless steel and not aluminum as stated in your review article.

ADDING POWER HAS NEVER BEEN SO FAST!

Liked
    0 times

I don't know where you heard the manifold is stainless but that isn't true. They are cast aluminum. I have a 2000 with 47,000 miles on it. I had my left side o2 sensor replaced a couple of months ago. Last week my right side went bad. I replaced this one my self with no problems. My friend had a o2 socket that he let me use and the sensor came right out with no problem. I ordered the new sensor from toyota $127.00 and couple of minutes of work of my own. A lot better than paying toyota $260.00 again.

Liked
    4 times

Default Huh?

I don't know where you heard the manifold is stainless but that isn't true. They are cast aluminum. Last week my right side went bad. I replaced this one my self with no problems.
    And you still think they are cast aluminum?

Below is a picture of one my new ones. Aren't yours the same?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tundra manifold.JPG 
Views:	754 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	1793  

ADDING POWER HAS NEVER BEEN SO FAST!

Liked
    0 times

Dude, That is certainly stainless.......

Liked
    34 times

Default S/s

I work for a dealership. The EXH manifolds are STAMPED STEEL NOT ALUMINUM.
    Get a magnet--> it will stick to the manifold.
    Stainless and aluminum will not stick to a magnet. The manifolds are a thinly cast stamped steel. I also think there are enough people on this website with headers, that you might be able to find some used ones cheap. They are relativley easy to change, no matter what any book says. I have installed many sets of headers & manifolds, they take about 2-3 hrs (both sides) to do on a sequoia/tundra.(if all goes well).
    Just my .02
    take care
    Victor

Junior Member thunder gray tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Ok everybody.I have the solution.Go to ebay under toyota tundras and look for headers.I have 60k on my truck.I have no problem with my manifolds,but I wanted to upgrade to headers so I did.I also removed the O2 sensors with no problem.The new headers are stainless steal and came with new bolts and gaskets.All for $150 bucks.Paid for shiping and got them in 4 days.Installed every thing my self and oh man did they sure make a difference.Better take off and torque feels great.No problem solved because I didnt have a problem,I waited for my manifolds to crack so I could have reason to buy headers,but they didnt.So I couldnt wait anymore so I bought them.Real happy with the performance.

As far for your rack&pinion,what went wrong with it?My fan belt I replaced at 30k because it would make noises in the morning.I replaced it with a dayco belt.I figured if I took it to toyota they would put a new toyota belt on it and I would have to replace it a 60k.So I just put my own belt in and it hasnt givin me no problem since.As far for your battery,well-I live in the desert and batterys dont last long here,but I still have my original battery in my truck.I just clean it every oil chang to keep the acid away from terminals.So its lasted me this long and batteries look nicer clean then dirty.Especialy If you keep your motor clean.Also if it does go out,I would get a better battery.So stop complaining,You could have bought a ford,chevy,or dodge.Then you would be really happy.Ya right.Look at all the tsb's for the other three.I dont even want to get into it.
    2000 SR5 4.7L 4x4 Tundra w/daystar level kit and add a leaf rear,Three inch body lift,Eagle Alloy 16x10 wheels,315/75/16,Pioneer dvd gps system,Front clear corner lamps,rear Altezza tail lamps,40s flowmaster mufflers single in dual out,Stone mountain headers,Helix thottle body spacer,K&N cool air intake system,Dyno-214 hp at rear wheels,Viper alarm W/remote start,Cobra radar detector,And to top it off,my Tundra has a B!tchin driver. My website www.truckinutz.com

Junior Member thunder gray tundra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by mustang67408
    Stainless and aluminum will not stick to a magnet. The manifolds are a thinly cast stamped steel. I also think there are enough people on this website with headers, that you might be able to find some used ones cheap. They are relativley easy to change, no matter what any book says. I have installed many sets of headers & manifolds, they take about 2-3 hrs (both sides) to do on a sequoia/tundra.(if all goes well).
    Just my .02
    take care
    Victor
    Damb you just beat me on the reply,I wrote to much and you snuck in there before me,but you are right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New headers II.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	1794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new headers.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1795  
    2000 SR5 4.7L 4x4 Tundra w/daystar level kit and add a leaf rear,Three inch body lift,Eagle Alloy 16x10 wheels,315/75/16,Pioneer dvd gps system,Front clear corner lamps,rear Altezza tail lamps,40s flowmaster mufflers single in dual out,Stone mountain headers,Helix thottle body spacer,K&N cool air intake system,Dyno-214 hp at rear wheels,Viper alarm W/remote start,Cobra radar detector,And to top it off,my Tundra has a B!tchin driver. My website www.truckinutz.com

Liked
    34 times

Default solution

Quote Originally Posted by thunder gray tundra
    Ok everybody.I have the solution.Go to ebay under toyota tundras and look for headers.I have 60k on my truck.I have no problem with my manifolds,but I wanted to upgrade to headers so I did.I also removed the O2 sensors with no problem.The new headers are stainless steal and came with new bolts and gaskets.All for $150 bucks.Paid for shiping and got them in 4 days.Installed every thing my self and oh man did they sure make a difference.Better take off and torque feels great.No problem solved because I didnt have a problem,I waited for my manifolds to crack so I could have reason to buy headers,but they didnt.So I couldnt wait anymore so I bought them.Real happy with the performance.

As far for your rack&pinion,what went wrong with it?My fan belt I replaced at 30k because it would make noises in the morning.I replaced it with a dayco belt.I figured if I took it to toyota they would put a new toyota belt on it and I would have to replace it a 60k.So I just put my own belt in and it hasnt givin me no problem since.As far for your battery,well-I live in the desert and batterys dont last long here,but I still have my original battery in my truck.I just clean it every oil chang to keep the acid away from terminals.So its lasted me this long and batteries look nicer clean then dirty.Especialy If you keep your motor clean.Also if it does go out,I would get a better battery.So stop complaining,You could have bought a ford,chevy,or dodge.Then you would be really happy.Ya right.Look at all the tsb's for the other three.I dont even want to get into it.
    You are also correct- headers are the way to go.

KLS
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by mustang67408
    Just my .02
    take care
    Victor
    The manifolds are fabricated (welded) stainless steel. Ferritic stainless is magnetic--check any stainless knife. If they're cast they aren't stamped, and these are neither.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Liked
    34 times

Default Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by KLS
    The manifolds are fabricated (welded) stainless steel. Ferritic stainless is magnetic--check any stainless knife. If they're cast they aren't stamped, and these are neither.

Ken
    I finnally got an answer on the manifolds. KEN IS CORRECT they are stainless
    I STAND CORRECTED< THANX YOU FOR HELPING ME TO LEARN SOMETHING.
    I went thru 3-4 people and places before i finally got a straight answer. It is also in the NEW MODEL BOOK, i never really paid attention.
    THEY ARE STAINLESS AnD KEN IS THE WINNER. NUFF SAID
    BUY HEADERS!!!!!!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: O2 sensor and exhaust manifold problems

Any particular brand to buy on the headers?