Sound clip of Gibson or Magnaflow?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound clip of Gibson or Magnaflow?

Liked
    0 times

Default Sound clip of Gibson or Magnaflow?

I've found sound clips for Bassani and Spintech for sure, think I've heard Flowmaster and Borla. I'm wondering if anyone has, or can make, sound clips for Gibson and Magnaflow.

I've searched but came up empty. Catback system for each of these is about the same price. From the descriptions I've heard one of these may be to my liking.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by turnipgreen
    I've found sound clips for Bassani and Spintech for sure, think I've heard Flowmaster and Borla. I'm wondering if anyone has, or can make, sound clips for Gibson and Magnaflow.

I've searched but came up empty. Catback system for each of these is about the same price. From the descriptions I've heard one of these may be to my liking.

Any help is appreciated.
    Be very careful about asking for/listening to a sound clip of a "Gibson" exhaust.
    Gibson makes 5 very, very different catback systems that range in sound from barely louder than stock (the single sweptside) to race truck loud (extreme dual or super truck). The range in loudness and sound quality between these various Gibson systems is much, much greater than for the other exhaust system makers. For example, a Flowmaster has a distinct Flowmaster tone...it might be mild (70) or aggressive (40) but it's still very noticeably a Flowmaster. That just isn't the case with the various Gibsons. You really have to say "does anybody have a clip of a Gibson single sideswept" or "does anybody have a clip of a Gibson extreme dual" cause these clips are not even going to be remotely close in loudness or sound quality.

I personally will be installing a Gibson single sideswept for two reasons:

First I wanted a muffler that actually increases mid range torque...I need all the torque I can get for towing. The Gibson single...and only the Gibson single...is mentioned fairly often on the RV.NET Tow Vehicle Forum as actually increasing towing torque.

Second, I wanted the quietest...yeah quietest...performance muffler available. I want motion, not commotion.

I only found one clip of this muffler anywhere on the 'net...mounted on a Ford Expy (One of the posters (FamilyGuy) on the F150/Expedition forums is a Gibson single evangelist ). Finally, I discovered that one of the Tundra owning guys who uses my fitness center had a Gibson single so I got to actually listen to one. Was exactly what I wanted...nice deep purr but no rumble, no throatiness, etc. Could take this one to the Country Club...or pull out of a campground at 4 am without waking anyone up. Goes on in May after I add the S/C and headers.

Liked
    0 times

You are right, I should have been more clear. Your description of what you want is exactly what I'm looking for. Any increase in hp or torque, along with maybe a slightly deeper tone maybe during acceleration, otherwise quiet.

Can you point me to the sound clip you mentioned? I may not do anything til after May, so if nobody else responds can I contact you to get a sound clip after you install?

Right now I'm looking at single side exit for both systems. Magnaflow only has a single side exit and a double side exit (both on the passenger side). Gibson's site strongly suggests using the single exit for any increase in power.

Thanks for the comments.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by turnipgreen
    You are right, I should have been more clear. Your description of what you want is exactly what I'm looking for. Any increase in hp or torque, along with maybe a slightly deeper tone maybe during acceleration, otherwise quiet.

Can you point me to the sound clip you mentioned? I may not do anything til after May, so if nobody else responds can I contact you to get a sound clip after you install?

Right now I'm looking at single side exit for both systems. Magnaflow only has a single side exit and a double side exit (both on the passenger side). Gibson's site strongly suggests using the single exit for any increase in power.

Thanks for the comments.
    Welcome. Sorry but it's been a couple of months since I did my search. I found what I did find by doing a Google on phrases like "Gibson single" or "Gibson sideswept".

And, yes, I do plan to put up a clip of the muffler once it's installed. Will make an appropriate announcement post at the time...I suspect there's a "silent majority" here who wants, as you and I do, more motion with the least commotion.

I found it kinda amusing...and rather reassuring in a strange way...that I turned up several posts on various forums from guys who were replacing their Gibson singles because they were "too quiet". I also learned very quickly to stay away from any muffler that has "awesome sound"...if it's loud enough to induce awe, I don't definitely don't want it.

Gibson recommends the single sideswept for maximum torque for a very good reason. Going to dual outlets...or even extra large single piping...allows the exhaust gas to lose velocity and become essentially stagnant in the pipe. So instead of somewhat being self-scavenging from it's own velocity, it has to be pushed out. That pushing causes backpressure at the engine. The bottom line is that duals actually produce more (not less) backpressure and lower net torque for the Tundra's small block V8.

Liked
    6 times

Default Wow I think I finally found it.

Your description of the Gibson single sideswept is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I checked their site and spoke to someone at the company. They didn't have actual dyno sheets available but they did have numbers posted.

For an '01 Tundra with a 2.5" dual sport cat back, they are claiming 2hp and 20tq. Same system on an '03 gains 12hp and 22tq. Why the difference? For the '03 single they are claiming 4hp and 7tq. Their reported results contradict what they saw about torque and pipe construction Interior sound level increase was reported at 2 to 4 decibels for the single and 4 to 6 db for the dual sport. I've been told singles make more torque. What gives? Marketing hype?

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by EricZ
    Your description of the Gibson single sideswept is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I checked their site and spoke to someone at the company. They didn't have actual dyno sheets available but they did have numbers posted.

For an '01 Tundra with a 2.5" dual sport cat back, they are claiming 2hp and 20tq. Same system on an '03 gains 12hp and 22tq. Why the difference? For the '03 single they are claiming 4hp and 7tq. Their reported results contradict what they saw about torque and pipe construction Interior sound level increase was reported at 2 to 4 decibels for the single and 4 to 6 db for the dual sport. I've been told singles make more torque. What gives? Marketing hype?
    Kinda doubt it's marketing hype...and single exit mufflers will have more torque than dual exits on the Tundra's small V8...everything else being equal. And therein is the rub...I strongly suspect these various numbers came from different trucks and were taken under different temperature conditions (even on the same truck). Also, because it can take a while for a given truck's ECU to adapt to a new exhaust system, it makes quite a bit of difference how much time elapsed between the "before" and "after" measurements. In other words, the numbers should be taken with much salt because the testing was probably not at all well controlled.

To me, the bottom line is not so much the exact numbers that Gibson is currently providing for their system on the Tundra (they've given different numbers in the past) but rather that (1) this is one of the few exhausts that is designed for and actually does show some mid range torque gains on a dyno and (2) there is a fairly large number of folk who have found they **did** get noticeable torque gains from the Gibson single sweptside in real-world towing usage. I've yet to find someone who reported they got better towing performance after they switched to one of the other brands of performance mufflers. It's those reports of real-world towing gains that have persuaded me that Gibson's marketing is at least somewhat truthful.

Liked
    6 times

Default Gibson

Do you know how it compares to the Spintech Truck/RV replacement muffler? v-8 seems pretty happy with his Spintech XL and claims 4 peak hp and 12tq but with gains of 8hp lower in the rev range. Does the Truck/RV model compare in power output? I have seen some complaints that the Spintech Truck/RV model is generally pretty quiet but that it drones annoyingly at around 2100 rpm's.

Liked
    0 times

Default Go with Gibson

I have the single swept Gibson on my '02 Tundra, and have had it on there for about 30K out of 36K I currently have, and am completely satisfied with it. The only thing you have to remember is that it might take a while for your engine computer to completely adjust to it. Mine took about a month and 1000 miles before I really noticed the performance difference. And it makes a difference in throttle response and low end torque. When you look at the numbers, the peak hp/tq don't tell the whole story anyway. If you look at a graph, you can see the difference at specific RPMs. So on mine, the torque difference at say 2000-3000 RPM with the Gibson installed was very noticeable. In simple terms, the engine just "spools" up faster. That's what I like, in city traffic and merging on the freeway, it makes a difference.

I also like the fact that I only paid $125 w/shipping for mine (used) from another TS member a couple of years ago. I have no complaints. I also have a K&N drop in filter, which also makes a little difference.

Liked
    0 times

Azbrian,

Do you have any way to take a picture of how the pipe looks, or have any way to make a sound clip?

Quote Originally Posted by Azbrian
    I have the single swept Gibson on my '02 Tundra, and have had it on there for about 30K out of 36K I currently have, and am completely satisfied with it. The only thing you have to remember is that it might take a while for your engine computer to completely adjust to it. Mine took about a month and 1000 miles before I really noticed the performance difference. And it makes a difference in throttle response and low end torque. When you look at the numbers, the peak hp/tq don't tell the whole story anyway. If you look at a graph, you can see the difference at specific RPMs. So on mine, the torque difference at say 2000-3000 RPM with the Gibson installed was very noticeable. In simple terms, the engine just "spools" up faster. That's what I like, in city traffic and merging on the freeway, it makes a difference.

I also like the fact that I only paid $125 w/shipping for mine (used) from another TS member a couple of years ago. I have no complaints. I also have a K&N drop in filter, which also makes a little difference.

Liked
    0 times

Sorry, I don't have a way to do either. I'm not even sure how people make sound clips. With an MP3 or something?? I can tell you that it is fairly quiet, but if you roll down your windows, you can hear it some under hard acceleration. I think Gibson has sound clips (or used to) on their website, and they sound very similar to a Tundra. One other thing I forgot to mention earlier -- I emailed Gibson at the time I bought mine, and they told me that the single was better than the dual exhausts, because there was a loss of backpressure, and loss of torque.

Liked
    0 times

Do you know how it compares to the Spintech Truck/RV replacement muffler? v-8 seems pretty happy with his Spintech XL and claims 4 peak hp and 12tq but with gains of 8hp lower in the rev range. Does the Truck/RV model compare in power output? I have seen some complaints that the Spintech Truck/RV model is generally pretty quiet but that it drones annoyingly at around 2100 rpm's.
    The Spintech RV muffler is really designed for much bigger engines (e.g. in the 7.5 to 8 liter size (like a 454 cu in)) so I doubt it will do much positive for torque on the relatively small Tundra V8. Oversizing exhaust components can reduce torque, especially midrange torque.

And yes, I've heard it has a very loud 2K drone...both from posts here as well as in PMs from other forum members...that would give me reason to believe that while it's quiet for a Spintech, it's not nearly as quiet as the Gibson single. Spintech mufflers were basically designed to bring high RPM racing engines down to barely legal noise levels.

To put things in perspective, I believe I have pretty acute hearing...I can usually hear my cat walking across a carpeted floor. To me, the stock exhaust on my neighbor's H2 Hummer is pretty loud. A Gibson single sideswept on a Tundra is definitely quieter than a H2 Hummer's stock exhaust and just a tad bit louder than the almost silent Tundra exhaust.

Liked
    6 times

Default Gibson

I'm not trying to be arguementative. I just like to see actual numbers. I think we will all agree that WHERE the power is gained and the SHAPE of the torque curve is more important than peak power gains alone. I fully admit that my "seat of the pants" perception is not as sensitive as others seem to be. That is why I like to see Dyno numbers to verify what I feel. I don't believe that gains under 10hp or similar small torque gains are that noticeable. Especially when people say that it takes a while for the computer to adjust and maximize power. All of this is limited by the fact that I'm trying to find the best flowing QUIET system out there. For some reason, none of the 4 manufacturers I contacted the last 2 days want to back up their claims of increased low end with Dyno numbers. Are they concerned that another product will be proven to be better? If they will show the results backed by good reviews from customers, people like me will buy their products. These things aren't cheap.

For example, many people insist that K & N filters improve power based on what they feel, but other people on this site seem to have proven that they actually may make less and may increase the amount of contaminants sucked into the engine. And they have charts, graphs and research to prove that the stock Toyota paper filter is better both in filtering and flow. This isn't the first time I've heard that either. Who is correct? The person who claims to have felt a difference or the person who scientifically proves there isn't one? Many times the truth may be a combination of the two.

I have also seem dyno sheets that show significant improvements in low end with a Spintech. Finally, 2 different Gibson sales people in the last 2 days are trying to tell me that their Dual Sport 2.5" makes more low end power than their Swept Side single 2.25". The numbers that they supply on their website substantiate this. However, this contradicts everything that their website text states and what members here have told me. It seems to make sense that the smaller single will boost low end for the previously mentioned resons. In summary, I am just trying to get the best quiet part for my money and like my purchases backed by numbers.

Liked
    0 times

I'm not trying to be arguementative. I just like to see actual numbers. I think we will all agree that WHERE the power is gained and the SHAPE of the torque curve is more important than peak power gains alone. I fully admit that my "seat of the pants" perception is not as sensitive as others seem to be. That is why I like to see Dyno numbers to verify what I feel. I don't believe that gains under 10hp or similar small torque gains are that noticeable. Especially when people say that it takes a while for the computer to adjust and maximize power. All of this is limited by the fact that I'm trying to find the best flowing QUIET system out there. For some reason, none of the 4 manufacturers I contacted the last 2 days want to back up their claims of increased low end with Dyno numbers. Are they concerned that another product will be proven to be better? If they will show the results backed by good reviews from customers, people like me will buy their products. These things aren't cheap.

For example, many people insist that K & N filters improve power based on what they feel, but other people on this site seem to have proven that they actually may make less and may increase the amount of contaminants sucked into the engine. And they have charts, graphs and research to prove that the stock Toyota paper filter is better both in filtering and flow. This isn't the first time I've heard that either. Who is correct? The person who claims to have felt a difference or the person who scientifically proves there isn't one? Many times the truth may be a combination of the two.

I have also seem dyno sheets that show significant improvements in low end with a Spintech. Finally, 2 different Gibson sales people in the last 2 days are trying to tell me that their Dual Sport 2.5" makes more low end power than their Swept Side single 2.25". The numbers that they supply on their website substantiate this. However, this contradicts everything that their website text states and what members here have told me. It seems to make sense that the smaller single will boost low end for the previously mentioned resons. In summary, I am just trying to get the best quiet part for my money and like my purchases backed by numbers.
    I agree with everything you're saying...particularly the inconsistencies coming from Gibson regarding more torque from the dual exit vs single exit systems. And if I'm reading your post correctly, your goal is the same as mine...most torque gain with the least additional sound. And finally, it sounds like you've been researching this about as thoroughly as I have.

The problem as I see it is there's apparently no-one outside these exhaust companies who's actually done any dyno testing with a quiet exhaust. V8 is about the only (maybe the only) TSer who's done any exhaust/muffler dyno testing and shown a torque improvement. However the Sportsman Street XL isn't all that quiet...too many mentions of "awesome sound" for me. But when it comes to having torque with quiet, there's just not been much interest...leastwise amongst those who are replacing exhausts since nearly all seem more interested in significantly louder systems to get the "V8 sound".

So, lacking quantitative evidence, I'm relying more on my ears (Gibson actually was nicely quiet to a me, a guy who really knows what "quiet" means)...and on multiple reports from the RV.NET towing crowd. So when I get mine installed, I promise to report back with some kind of quantitative evidence...ideally with dyno results though that might be tough as I'm not sure if there are any dyno shops in Colorado (because of the high altitude). However I'm not changing the exhaust until I get some towing experience with the truck stock so that I have something to compare against...hence it will be sometime in early to mid summer before that happens.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default K&N FIPK OR AND GIBSON

I have a 2003 Tundra 4X4 Ext. Cab SB with 4.7 V/8 Auto Off Road. I just put a K&N FIPK on it and I found I had more power and my gas mileage also increased. Would it help me to put the Gibson single on?
    The owners manuel says I can tow up to 7100 lbs. Does anyone know what the "TRUE" specs are for towing? What length the trailer should be etc.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I don't have any research to back up my claims!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.