Mass Air Flow Sensor Modification?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Mass Air Flow Sensor Modification?

Liked
    0 times

Default Mass Air Flow Sensor Modification?

In the August issue of "Street Trucks" there is an ad (page 21) for a modified mass air sensor made by JET Performance Parts that reportedly increases the air flow by 44% and, of course, they claim to "increase horsepower" by 17hp. We all know that these claims are generally lacking solid evidence to back them up, but with all of the different attempts over the past couple of years to modify the air box and increase air flow, I don't recall anyone having messed with the MAF Sensor. While this particular one advertised in the magazine is only designed for Ford products, I started thinking that with all of the brain power we have on this web site, possibly someone could figure out how to accomplish similar results to improve the overall performance of the 4.7L. Jet is the same company that manufactures and sells replacement chips for increased performance and I believe they have a pretty sound reputation. Maybe they would take on the project if no one else can figure it out?
    Factory: Leather, Tow Pkg., Tundra Floor Mats, RS 3000 Security, Six Disc In-dash CD Changer, TRD Off Road Package, Toyota bed extender, auto-dimming mirror, and running boards
    Add-ons: INYATI bed liner, Lund hood deflector, Stainless Billet grille, Full tint, Tundra Door sill protectors, Putco s/s bed caps, Delta polished aluminum tool box, Whelen four-way strobe, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos 275/70/16's, Throttle Body and Relay/Fuse Billet Covers
    Performance: True Flow intake and air filter, 20% Underdrive pulley, Jet Hot SS Autochrome Headers, Power Stop Cross-drilled Rotors & Maxxis Pads, Flowmaster cat-back dual exhaust.
    Audio: Alpine V12 amp, Kicker two-way front speakers, Rockford-Fosgate two-way rear speakers, Boston Rally Neo 3r tweets, Phoenix Gold 500.1 sub amp, Twin Rockford-Fosgate 8's in a Q Logic sub enclosure, sound deadening, XM SKYFi2 Satellite Radio
    Suspension: Revtek 2.5" suspension lift ,1.5" rear leveling block, Hellwig anti-sway bar w/ ADDCO end links, TRD Red/Blue shocks, TRD Add-a-leafs
    Mods: Rear seat angle, Dome/ Dash/Fog/DRL and Cargo Light Mods,Under carriage lights, Ignition Key and Open Door Chime Mods, Silverstar head and fog lamps, Power tailgate lock

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by biggary
    In the August issue of "Street Trucks" there is an ad (page 21) for a modified mass air sensor made by JET Performance Parts that reportedly increases the air flow by 44% and, of course, they claim to "increase horsepower" by 17hp. We all know that these claims are generally lacking solid evidence to back them up, but with all of the different attempts over the past couple of years to modify the air box and increase air flow, I don't recall anyone having messed with the MAF Sensor. While this particular one advertised in the magazine is only designed for Ford products, I started thinking that with all of the brain power we have on this web site, possibly someone could figure out how to accomplish similar results to improve the overall performance of the 4.7L. Jet is the same company that manufactures and sells replacement chips for increased performance and I believe they have a pretty sound reputation. Maybe they would take on the project if no one else can figure it out?
    The problem with this and most other mods is the ECU will still see a lean condition from 02 sensor readings and adjust A/F back to where it belongs. If you added 44% increase in airflow, and did nothing else, the truck would run way too lean....it runs rich...but not that rich. (IMO)

Kevin
    2003 Silver Sky TRD SR5 V8 4x4 Access Cab
    My 69 Mach 1 Pics
    Factory Options:
    TRD Offroad / Limited slip / Tow package / 130 amp alternator / Temp.-compass-autodim mirror.

Appearance Mods:

PPDBillet throttle & fuse covers /Weld Outback forged billet wheels / Smittybuilt nurfs / Bullbar / Leer Legend Canopy / Line X / billet antenna.
    Performance Mods:
    Chromex-ceramic coated S&S autochrome headers / Custom dual H crossover 2 1/4 into Magnaflow duals- rear exit / 265 75 16 Bridgestone Revo's .....R A P S /True Flow intake / Underdrive Pulley /Hellwig anti-sway bar / Timbren load springs-rear / Wheelers 2.0 leveling coilovers / Infinity x6. / Unichip PnP

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    616 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biggary
    Jet is the same company that manufactures and sells replacement chips for increased performance and I believe they have a pretty sound reputation.
    afa roi, that is the opposite of what i have heard.

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    0 times
    Images

The stock MAF isn't much of an airflow restriction,these aren't the old-school flap valves Toyota used in the 80's.
    Take a look for yourself,two phillips screws and the MAF comes out.
    2000 Imperial Jade Mica Tundra SR5 V8 4WD - sold to my dad
    2002 Thundercloud Sport Edition 4Runner - my "new" Toyota truck

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    The stock MAF isn't much of an airflow restriction,these aren't the old-school flap valves Toyota used in the 80's.
    Take a look for yourself,two phillips screws and the MAF comes out.
    As I understand the MAS, it doesn't physically restrict the airflow (allowing more or less air to enter the engine as needed) but it measures the air flowing across it and sends that information for direct volume or mass measurement to the PCM.

"A typical MAF has a wire or film element that's kept heated to a specified temperature above ambient (180 deg. F. in Bosch units) and is exposed to intake air. Through a Wheatstone bridge circuit and dedicated electronics, the amount of current required to maintain that temperature becomes the signal to the computer. High air flow obviously has a greater cooling effect than low, but so does the denser air of cold days and low altitudes, so the PCM gets the true data on mass it needs to provide the longer injector pulse width that extra oxygen needs to fire dependably." - howstuffworks.com

So if you alter the MAS and trick the computer into thinking it needs to send more fuel to the engine by increasing the injector pulse due to increased air flow readings (without compensating or adjusting the timing and several other key elements) the fuel to air ratio will get way out of whack and the engine won't run right, like Verndog suggested. Apparently, Jet has found a way to compensate for these changes.
    Factory: Leather, Tow Pkg., Tundra Floor Mats, RS 3000 Security, Six Disc In-dash CD Changer, TRD Off Road Package, Toyota bed extender, auto-dimming mirror, and running boards
    Add-ons: INYATI bed liner, Lund hood deflector, Stainless Billet grille, Full tint, Tundra Door sill protectors, Putco s/s bed caps, Delta polished aluminum tool box, Whelen four-way strobe, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos 275/70/16's, Throttle Body and Relay/Fuse Billet Covers
    Performance: True Flow intake and air filter, 20% Underdrive pulley, Jet Hot SS Autochrome Headers, Power Stop Cross-drilled Rotors & Maxxis Pads, Flowmaster cat-back dual exhaust.
    Audio: Alpine V12 amp, Kicker two-way front speakers, Rockford-Fosgate two-way rear speakers, Boston Rally Neo 3r tweets, Phoenix Gold 500.1 sub amp, Twin Rockford-Fosgate 8's in a Q Logic sub enclosure, sound deadening, XM SKYFi2 Satellite Radio
    Suspension: Revtek 2.5" suspension lift ,1.5" rear leveling block, Hellwig anti-sway bar w/ ADDCO end links, TRD Red/Blue shocks, TRD Add-a-leafs
    Mods: Rear seat angle, Dome/ Dash/Fog/DRL and Cargo Light Mods,Under carriage lights, Ignition Key and Open Door Chime Mods, Silverstar head and fog lamps, Power tailgate lock

Liked
    0 times

This is where im heading right now.

I just added the K&N intake and the truck has leaned
    out considerably. Many other members here report finding
    the exact same problem. Loss of low end torque/ pinging/
    even p0171&174.

This is a direct result from more air entering the engine than the mass is accounting for.
    On many applications this is fine because at WOT the ecm
    is overly rich. Tundra dosnt reach WOT until 3000 rpm, thus lean and timing retard from preignition until open loop is in effect.

modding the mass is only going to provide a power increase if your running too lean already.
    The only problem is picking up the extra fuel on the low end without running over rich up top.

The best solution is to use a form of user programable signal modifier Eg. afc , safc , unichip. But im too cheap
    so i will attempt to "tweek" the mass. plans are to add an air horn to the front of the mass to increase air flow across it. just ordered a new mass to play with -65 dol my cost from toy.

I did notice that during warmup fuel trim was much better before reaching 190 deg. So i also ordered the 160 t-stat.
    May even bypass t-body coolant lines, temps never get much below freezing down here.
    I did notice that on a hot soak the intake air temp climbed to 150 + and it took nearly 10 min of cruising to bring back around 115. The stock air intake did not trasfer this much heat back to mass.

Ill repost after mass modding is done.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Mass Air Flow Sensor Modification?

Kind of a new interest for me. I read about cleaning MAF with electric contact cleaner. Son and I both have matching Ranger Edges, 3.0, 5-speed. We both have K&N filters. So we washed the K&Ns in the dishwasher, sprayed them with filter oil, used the contact cleaner to clear out the little heater wires. I found one of those little Tornado air spinners in a Ranger at the junk yard. It was worth $5 to try it out. So here's the results. Son's truck is back to chirping tires in first few gears. He was impressed. Mine does that but the big change is the little bit of added power in the top end of each gear. I was always leary about trying to pass with something coming the other way at highway speeds. Not so any more.
    The Granitelli mod to a stock MAF simply reprograms the chip. It sends a 1-5 volt signal to the computer in stock form, and the modified chip just favors the better number for more power. The main complaint with the unit is the check engine light is always on. I'm guessing it's caused by the MAF being out of range. Being a Californian we need to keep that light off in a smog test or we fail. The modified MAF is a little pricy too. So bottom line is keep the little heater wires clean (only with spray contact cleaner, no q-tips, etc). It does make a difference.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM