Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Why get a tundra vs. a Tacoma DC

3K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  AFP520 
#1 ·
I'm pretty much set on getting a Dual Cab tacoma, but thought It's a good question to ask Tundra owners before going for one.

I have a T100 currently, and will replace it in Jan with 07 something.

mike aka spot

#2 ·
All I can say is drive one. I went to the dealership dead set to buy a 4x4 TRD offroad d-cab tacoma. While I test drove the tacoma he told me about the rebates and i could get into the tundra for about 2500 less. So after I test drove the tacoma 2 minutes later I test drove the tundra. Before I even got out of the parking lot in my head I was thinking "Oh yeah this is the one" And I went home with the Tundra. This happened about four weeks ago. If you test drive them back to back you will get spoiled in the tundra. Not that I am knocking the tacoma, but the tundra is like the cadilac of trucks. To me that is.

#4 ·
I had same concerns, looked at Sequioa, Tacoma and Tundra. Evaluated that I had to haul 2 dogs a cat plus everything that goes with. Back and forth to Montana
Tacoma dc did not have enough interior room, Sequioa had room for us but not the gear and would require a trailer to haul the stuff.
Tundra has filled the bill, the dogs ride in back seat, cat carrier sits between them and the stuff fits in the back.

#8 ·
Gas mileage wont be much better in a DC Taco... the AC Tundra has more interior room than a DC Taco.. the Tundra has more power with the V8... and it's big, but not big like a ford...

This coming from the previous owner of 3 Tacoma's... They are small and simple and I will always have a love for the Tacoma... but the Tundra is certainly a luxury truck in my opinion and it's just comfortable.

#9 ·
Like coma4by, I was set on getting a Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab. I went and test drove it and for some reason came away with not liking the driving position and the front end felt a bit vague to me on sweeping freeway on/off ramps. The height of the seat bottom on the Tacoma is very low so to me it felt like I was sitting on the floor (a bit of an exaggeration there).

Then I test drove the Tundra and thought that this is the truck I'm getting. They had some good deals on the Tundra and none on the Tacoma at the time so that was another reason I got the Tundra. Oh, they also happened to have a bunch of Tundras to choose from in the trim level I wanted. There were none of the Tacoma. I'm sure cause its a more popular truck than the Tundra.

The Tundra also has a larger bed for me to haul my motorcycle.

I know the Tacoma is a great truck and I'm sure it suits many people, but it wasn't the truck for me and my needs. The Tacoma is just slightly smaller than the current Tundra. Its definitely more like a midsize truck comparable to the Dodge Dakota in size.

My advice would be to drive them both and see how they feel.

#10 ·
I was looking at both too. Since they never offer rebates on tacomas, and they have $4000 rebate on the tundra, I went the cheaper truck - the tundra. If they had been evenly priced I would have been tempted to get the taco for the slightly better fuel mileage and ease in parking. But now that I have the tundra I really enjoy the interior room and the ride is a lot smoother. My wife actually test drove the taco and hated the ride, but loves the tundra (even though she has to climb in).

Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either.

#11 ·
When I went in to buy a new Tacoma last year, they were unwilling to negotiate on price. On the Tundra however, it was no problem. I ended up paying about $1500 more for a V8 DC Tundra than I would have for a V6 Tacoma DC. Plus the Tacoma just felt odd to me. And I was driving a '99 Tacoma at the time. The rear view mirror was in the way, the back seat headrests made it hard to see out the back window. And I did not like the composite bed. Plus the short bed was just too short and long bed didn't look right to me.

Only drawback to owning a DC Tundra....it's a pain in the rear end to park (especially in parking garages in the city)

#12 ·
How about a Lexus-derived V8 that is only slightly thirstier than the V6 in the Tacoma?
Gas mileage wont be much better in a DC Taco... the AC Tundra has more interior room than a DC Taco.. the Tundra has more power with the V8... and it's big, but not big like a ford...
When I looked at the Taco DC and Tundra DC, the gas milage was only off about 2 or 3 MPG, pretty small differences between the two and the Tundra DC has a LOT more room.

The Tundra DC can be a pain in the butt to park, but I learned really quick how to use the mirrors to my advantage of parking in tight spaces. What I learn is that backing up is much easier than pulling into the parking spot.

I never talked to the dealer about the Tacoma, I was already set to get a Tundra DC. I found what I liked on the lot, a SR5, leather seats and other goodies, but I told the salesman that I refused to pay some $32K plus. I told him $27K is my final offer, stood my ground for 2.5 hours and got the Tundra with my asking price (I also took their 0% interests via Toyota).

#13 ·
The Tundra DC can be a pain in the butt to park, but I learned really quick how to use the mirrors to my advantage of parking in tight spaces. What I learn is that backing up is much easier than pulling into the parking spot.

Lol, I learned to park in the back 40 of the parking lots, u know where there is no one else. LOL or I have learned to do the 3 point pull in park. I always find my self spinning the wheel and hitting the sterring stops hard. Not sure why toyota could not make the wheels turn just a little tighter, thats on my DC Tundra which I lov by the way.

#14 ·
I also was looking to buy the Tacoma, but after test driving them and parking them next to each other, the Tundra drove so nice and was just so much bigger, V8, mileage is not that much more, same with money, and having a boat and a trailer with quads I had to go for the Tundra.

#15 ·
Not sure why toyota could not make the wheels turn just a little tighter, thats on my DC Tundra which I lov by the way.
You can only turn so far before the tire would end up hitting the engine lol

The tire size from factory plays a big role in it, but it's still a pickup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.