Will a Low restriction muffler reduce my low end torque?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Will a Low restriction muffler reduce my low end torque?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Will a Low restriction muffler reduce my low end torque?

I've been very tempted about installing a magnaflow straight-through design muffler on my 2001 Sequoia....but I'm concerned after looking at some of the posts that it might reduce my low end torque. I do pull a 21 ft SeaRay with the Sequoia...and so I'm not wanting to do anything that will reduce performance....the muffler shop of course says that it will help performance.....but I've never had any experience with changing out a stock exhaust for a "performance" exhaust.

Anyone with some experience or advice would be appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I can't say I noticed any SOTP changes in power when I had mine installed... It is pretty loud (I have the magnaflows too), and I've done quite a bit of soundproofing to get rid of the drone... It's close, another roll of dynamat and I think I'll be happy with it...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Scott, I installed flowmaster 50 series mainly for a more mellow sound, which I got. I do however believe low end torque suffers a little, a least the curve has changed. I've said before, if after spending millions of dollars engineering a new vehicle, if Toyota could have gotten more power or better mileage with just a muffler change, I'm sure they would have done it. If you want a better sound, go for it, but don't expect more power or better gas mileage.

my humble opinion

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Will a Low restriction muffler reduce my low end torque?

Originally posted by Scott
    I've been very tempted about installing a magnaflow straight-through design muffler on my 2001 Sequoia....but I'm concerned after looking at some of the posts that it might reduce my low end torque. I do pull a 21 ft SeaRay with the Sequoia...and so I'm not wanting to do anything that will reduce performance....the muffler shop of course says that it will help performance.....but I've never had any experience with changing out a stock exhaust for a "performance" exhaust.

Anyone with some experience or advice would be appreciated!!
    Scott, you might find that you get better performance going over the mountains, but you are DEFINITELY going to get more noise.

In the past I've dealt with muffler upgrades, but after a while you kind of settle down and realize that having quiet is kind of a luxury.

Unless you go offroading, I don't think you'll really notice any drop. You might notice some gain in gas mileage though on the freeway.

But at the cost of more noise. I'd try to ride in someone else's vehicle that has been modified.

Overall, it's not really necessary when you have so much engine.

Too, you might have to "roll it back" to oem when it gets time to sell it.

alan

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-27-2010, 10:48 AM