Will cat back exhaust save gas

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Will cat back exhaust save gas

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Will cat back exhaust save gas

Will and does the cat back dual exhaust increase gas mileage on everyday driving or is it just cool sounding.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Will cat back exhaust save gas

Whatever little bit you might save is usually offset by the fact that your foot goes to the floor a little more often because the sound of the exhaust is so cool! In all seriousness, I doubt that you'd see even a 1 MPG increase.
    2010 CrewMax, Salsa Red Pearl, SR-5, 4WD, 5.7L FF
    Mods to date: Volant CAI, N-Fab step bars w/ lights, TRD Sway Bar, Extang Tri-Fold Tonneau, Line-Xed bed, 35% Formula One window tint, WeatherTech floor liners, EGR in-channel vent visors, Audiovox CAMSBAR backup camera, Homelink Auto-dimming mirror, Clazzio seat covers, Pioneer FH-P8000BT head unit, CDT EF-61 comps, Image Dynamics IDQ10V.3 subs, Sundown Audio SAX-125.2 amp, Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D amp.

Liked
    0 times

The old theory is if you reduce the backpressure the engine doesnt have to expend energy to push out the exhaust. (there is a bunch of theory around exhaust pulse speed and density but the cats blow that apart for the most part) With the advent of pollution controls, mainly cats, who know what will actually happen. I still think that reducing backpressure is a good thing since the engine is just a pump and the easier it breaths in and out the more power it will make. I guess Ill find out shortly since I had a muffler shop customer bend some 2.5 pipe to go from the resonator out the side in front of the rear wheel then I put a resonator tip on the end. Even with me romping on it repeatedly for sound appreciation the first tank gave me 13.64 MPG for around town driving. If anything I am hoping to gain a little.

Well see!!
    2005 Tundra 4X4 access cab.
    K&N drop in filter
    custom exhaust
    Bazooka sub woofer (makes the stock JBL sound good)

Liked
    1 times

no it will not. even IF it did it, which duals will not, it would be so subtle it would take years of driving just to make up for the cost of the system.

the reason bigger pipes hurt lowend power is exhaust volume. if there is more volume in a pipe and the same amount of gas going through it, that gas is no moving slower, thus cooling more, and moving even slower. yes big pipes give you massive upper range gains, but at the expense of the range where you spend 99% of your RPMs.

my current system is the stock piping with no muffler, just a pipe welded in. i kept the resonator. its freaking loud, sometimes i cannot hear my cell phone speaker in the cab. which gets a little annoying. my mileage didn't change at all though, because i left the piping alone.
    2010 DC 2wd
    Icon all around

Liked
    0 times

I have some experience to cite. My sticker said 13/16 or 13/17, I cannot remember. The first two mods I did were a K&N FIPK and a Bassani dual side exit exhaust. Followed shortly by headers and a Y-pipe from JBA. I put a REAL heavy front and rear bumper on my truck and a tool box and High Lift Jack. Probably close to 400 extra pounds every single day. City/Hwy I would do 16 easy, and on the highway, easily get 19-20. If I had a stock rig with the breathing enhancements, I'd easily have been in the 21 range o-t-r and 16-17 around town.

Now, since the lift - OUCH. Bigger tires without re-gearing have sent the city mileage into the toilet. I'm lucky to get 13 now. On the highway, I bet my best is 16-17, but if I am in a hurry, fagetaboutit . . . 14-15 at best.

Don't know if that helps, but there it is.
    2003 Tundra SR5 4WD Access Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Performance: Bassani cat-back exhaust, K&N FIPK, JBA Headers & Y-Pipe, Goodridge braided brake lines
    Working mods: Tough Country front bumper, Camburg UCAs, Daystar 1" spacer & Sway-away 2.5" front coilovers & diff. drop spacers, Offroad Solutions manual hub kit, Kartek CV boots, Deaver 10 packs, BFG AT 285/75R16s on ProComp black alloy 16x8 rims, Rhino Liner, tool box, KC Slimlights, Form Fit bug deflector, Donnelly mirror, Muth Signal mirrors, "Tundra" HD floormats, Hi-Lift, Skid Row front, middle & rear skid plates, Custom rock sliders, Custom rear bumper & swing-out tire carrier, Icom 208H, CB, Backstopper backup sensors, auxiliary backup lights, Optima Red & Optima Yellow, Painless battery isolator, Champion 10K winch, Viair 400C, 4 gallon air tank, ARB Lockers front & rear, greasable bolts & sleeves for the Deaver leaf springs, Engle MT45.
    Appearance & Comfort mods: Aftermarket Leather, desert sand mirror covers, dark grey fender flares, map light mod, de-badged all emblems, all black grille.
    Future: Auxiliary fuel tank, replace tailgate w/ sand ladders

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks I had a F150 with a K&N filter and it got less mileage but then I read one of the threads here if you have a add on it can take up to 500 miles for the computor to adjust.So if I put a high volume intake filter and cat back I might see the better mileage?Just looking at all options before I lay down the dough.

Liked
    0 times

I had the same experience. In fact, the FIPK I have is for the '99-02 4.7 v-8 and it cost me mileage in a big way at first. When it got a little dirty and I put a drycharger on it, the mileage came up. There are lots of threads about this and most of them say that it is the Mass Air Flow Sensor that cannot correctly read the new volume of air.

If I could do it again, I'd just put the K&N filter in my original box and do the headers, y-pipe, and cat-back. I bet this would have been the best solution.
    2003 Tundra SR5 4WD Access Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Performance: Bassani cat-back exhaust, K&N FIPK, JBA Headers & Y-Pipe, Goodridge braided brake lines
    Working mods: Tough Country front bumper, Camburg UCAs, Daystar 1" spacer & Sway-away 2.5" front coilovers & diff. drop spacers, Offroad Solutions manual hub kit, Kartek CV boots, Deaver 10 packs, BFG AT 285/75R16s on ProComp black alloy 16x8 rims, Rhino Liner, tool box, KC Slimlights, Form Fit bug deflector, Donnelly mirror, Muth Signal mirrors, "Tundra" HD floormats, Hi-Lift, Skid Row front, middle & rear skid plates, Custom rock sliders, Custom rear bumper & swing-out tire carrier, Icom 208H, CB, Backstopper backup sensors, auxiliary backup lights, Optima Red & Optima Yellow, Painless battery isolator, Champion 10K winch, Viair 400C, 4 gallon air tank, ARB Lockers front & rear, greasable bolts & sleeves for the Deaver leaf springs, Engle MT45.
    Appearance & Comfort mods: Aftermarket Leather, desert sand mirror covers, dark grey fender flares, map light mod, de-badged all emblems, all black grille.
    Future: Auxiliary fuel tank, replace tailgate w/ sand ladders

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by HBjeff
    no it will not. even IF it did it, which duals will not, it would be so subtle it would take years of driving just to make up for the cost of the system.

the reason bigger pipes hurt lowend power is exhaust volume. if there is more volume in a pipe and the same amount of gas going through it, that gas is no moving slower, thus cooling more, and moving even slower. yes big pipes give you massive upper range gains, but at the expense of the range where you spend 99% of your RPMs.

my current system is the stock piping with no muffler, just a pipe welded in. i kept the resonator. its freaking loud, sometimes i cannot hear my cell phone speaker in the cab. which gets a little annoying. my mileage didn't change at all though, because i left the piping alone.

Cost was only $150.00 so I got great sound and saved a few pounds for cheap money, also I dont think Im going to have to worry to much about the exhaust gas cooling down to much. The resonator tip I put on is a Pacesetter which is painted yellow inside and my first lengthy highway trip burned the paint off and I do mean off, it was gone. The tip gets freaking HOT being that close to the Toyota resonator and cats. As for noise you may want to try a good resonator tip like the Pacesetter. I am still able to use the speakerphone on my cell with no trouble. I do get a little droning at low RPMs but nothing so bad you can't hear. Oh yea and second tank around town driving with one 30 minute highway trip got 14.72 MPG
    2005 Tundra 4X4 access cab.
    K&N drop in filter
    custom exhaust
    Bazooka sub woofer (makes the stock JBL sound good)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.