Exhaust manifold stud removal question

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exhaust manifold stud removal question

Liked
    0 times

Question Exhaust manifold stud removal question

Quick question for the people that installed aftermarket headers on their Tundra's. How do you remove the exhaust manifold studs? What did you remove it with? The stud looks like it has a torksen head on it, socket? what size? I just want to make sure I have the right tool when I do make the install.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    41 times
    Images

You can use a small socket that fits. I don't remember the # of the socket. My sockets are Metrinch so it has that shape. Mine are design to work for both metric and standard with same socket.
    '00 tundra
    '06 sequoia
    '98 forester

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks ricqik

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default torx

I belive its a female torx #10

Liked
    0 times

Default odrspang thx!

I belive its a female torx #10
    OK, thanks alot!

Liked
    4 times

Can you get the headers on using the stock studs? Seems like it would be better to go that route rather than screwing a bolt into aluminum threads. You would be a lot less likely to strip any threads if you could keep the studs. I think someone has said they were able to do this.

ADDING POWER HAS NEVER BEEN SO FAST!

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default JBA headers on stock studs

I installed my JBAs on the stock studs without any problems to date (installed approx. 6 mo. ago). I periodically check the torque (when the engine is cold only) and haven't had any loosen up. The kit came with new bolts, so I saved them just in case. I also have a problem with removing studs from aluminum (for fear of cross-threading/stripping) so if it's not broken...

Liked
    0 times

Default JBA's

I installed my JBAs on the stock studs without any problems to date (installed approx. 6 mo. ago). I periodically check the torque (when the engine is cold only) and haven't had any loosen up. The kit came with new bolts, so I saved them just in case. I also have a problem with removing studs from aluminum (for fear of cross-threading/stripping) so if it's not broken...
    Tundrafire,

I am thinking about installing some JBA's and wanted to ask you if you notice any true horsepower gain ie. low-end, high-end, all around horsepower performance? Just need some input before I pull the trigger! Also, what kind of exhaust system do you have on your Tundra? The JBA's that I want to install will be working with my Bassani system.

Liked
    4 times

Has anybody used the JBA headers, JBA gaskets, stock studs, and stock locking nuts? Will that work? That's what I'm thinking about trying if the studs are the right length, and the nuts seem to match up to the header flanges OK. Tried to get some gaskets from the Toyota dealer and they had only one in stock. They said that the Tundra doesn't have a problem with cracked manifolds. Also told me that the supercharger should be out in a month and that they would sell me a set of TRD headers for $996.00 (carry out price) Real helpful guys, huh?

Liked
    4 times

Does anyone have JBA's and hasn't put them on yet? Put a straight edge across your header flanges and see how far out they are. Mine are like a 1/16" out, or a bit more. The bolts will probably pull them up to where they would seal, but I'm a bit worried about leaks. Anyone else have this problem? Headers flanges not as flat as they should be.

Dude

Liked
    41 times
    Images

Mine are on my truck already. But before I installed them I did wonder the same thing. Mine too has a gap of whhat you mentioned. I have a slight leak, not at the block but at the collector and stock exhaust.
    '00 tundra
    '06 sequoia
    '98 forester

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.