Winch Bumper for 2nd gen Tundra!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winch Bumper for 2nd gen Tundra!

Liked
    0 times

Talking Winch Bumper for 2nd gen Tundra!

Hey folks, months back there was a large group that wanted to buy Road Armor bumpers for their Tundras. I was one of those folks, but I was skeptical, as Road Armor never seemed to have product to deliver, so I did some research and found that the guy who started Road Armor and did ALL of their design has a new company called "Alien Patrol". His bumpers are advertised in all big diesel truck magazines, which is where I saw them.

I just ordered a winch bumper for my full-size truck. It IS the the former Road Armor bumper! See: Main

The cool thing is he didn't need money until he had all the parts ready to weld up the bumper and ship it to me. (As opposed to others who say, "Yeah, send us your money and we'll get you a bumper is six or eight weeks.")

And check the prices out. They start out better than the price Road Armor was going to give us! (The full-blown price on the bumper w/ light-bar for my Chevy 3500HD is $1175 -- and it's beautiful.)

Jim, the owner, explained that the American truck manufacturers provide the CAD data to after-market builders, so they don't need to hassle with building prototypes, fitting and refitting...everything fits perfectly from the start. But the Japanese companies will not share that information, so the bumper manufacturers have to use a truck and build to the truck, a process which involves MUCH more time and work. Couple that with the fact that they'll sell far fewer bumpers for Japanese trucks, and you see why there are typically fewer options. Still, if you want to do a group buy, he'll do it, and the bottom line will be MUCH lower that it would have been with Road Armor if they had ever done what they promised to do ;-)
    2011 Tundra 4x4 DC Ltd
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    2008 Dodge/Cummins 3500 Laramie
    2005 Mustang GT
    2005 Honda Element EX
    2008 BMW R1200GSA
    2011 Kawasaki "Connie" 1400

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Tundra Winch Bumper !!

so will they make bumpers for toyotas ?

Liked
    0 times

Update: I still don't have a bumper for the full-size truck and I've been unable to determine if Alien Patrol is even in business anymore... I hope they are. They seemed like nice folks...

It sounds like the ARB can be made to fit, so it may be the only good option for the small truck AND the full-sized one. They take forever to design one, but once it's done they actually build and deliver them.
    2011 Tundra 4x4 DC Ltd
    2005 Mustang GT
    2005 Honda Element EX
    2008 BMW R1200GSA

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler22 View Post
    Update: I still don't have a bumper for the full-size truck and I've been unable to determine if Alien Patrol is even in business anymore... I hope they are. They seemed like nice folks...

It sounds like the ARB can be made to fit, so it may be the only good option for the small truck AND the full-sized one. They take forever to design one, but once it's done they actually build and deliver them.
    Yep by now you could have it shipped from Austaralia to Renton driven up there and picked it up and installed it already. They are big& heavy but engineered correctly..
    N7TEW
    ARB Sahara,
    Firestone Ride-rites 2245, Hell roaring technology dual battery setup, Wrangler dual battery tray, (2) Odyssey PC1200T batteries, Tru-speed recalibrator, Icon Coil overs with 700lb springs, Total Chaos upper control arms, Bilstein 5100's out back, Hankook Dynapro MT LT265x75r16's,Skid row skidplate package (3) pieces, Wheelers HD 3 leaf springs, Poly steering rack bushing kit, poly sway bar bushing kit,poly bump stops, Stubbs welding Weld On sliders ( HD-SKO),USA Spec PA-15,AmSteel 7/16 x 90' synthetic winch line, 100' AmSteel 7/16 extension rope, .

Liked
    0 times

Except that they don't build a bumper for my full-sized truck... Or I would have done just what you suggest.

And I AM going to do what you suggest for the Tundra. Heck, if I was getting paid a dollar per hour for my time trying to buy a bumper would have been money ahead to just buy an ARB last year...
    2011 Tundra 4x4 DC Ltd
    2005 Mustang GT
    2005 Honda Element EX
    2008 BMW R1200GSA

Liked
    6 times
    Images

I b bad missed the 3500 chev full size..
    N7TEW
    ARB Sahara,
    Firestone Ride-rites 2245, Hell roaring technology dual battery setup, Wrangler dual battery tray, (2) Odyssey PC1200T batteries, Tru-speed recalibrator, Icon Coil overs with 700lb springs, Total Chaos upper control arms, Bilstein 5100's out back, Hankook Dynapro MT LT265x75r16's,Skid row skidplate package (3) pieces, Wheelers HD 3 leaf springs, Poly steering rack bushing kit, poly sway bar bushing kit,poly bump stops, Stubbs welding Weld On sliders ( HD-SKO),USA Spec PA-15,AmSteel 7/16 x 90' synthetic winch line, 100' AmSteel 7/16 extension rope, .

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Has anyone found a good winch bumper yet.
    I'm picking up my new Tundra soon and I would like to put one on as soon as possible.
    If you know of any winch bumpers out there that fit the 2007-08 Tundra, can you please give me the contact info/website?

Liked
    0 times

As many folks here can attest, it can be TERRIBLY frustrating to deal with Road Armor. It means NOTHING when they promise to deliver a bumper by a certain date. Many of us waited month after month for a bumper that would fit our small Tundras, and they never came through. Having said that, I understand that they're close to delivering a bumper for the new Tundra. That would mean absolutely nothing to me, except the Road Armor folks actually did what they promised to do on my full-sized truck -- and their bumpers are awesome. (They used my truck to test-fit the prototype bumper for the Chevy 3500HD. I've attached a couple pictures so you can see the bumper mid-process.)

Here's the bottom line: They build great stuff. If you can ever get the product you'll be happy with it. If I were you, I'd ask them to give you a date. Tell them you want a REAL date, not the kind of lying, drag-you-on-imaginary-date they abused the us mini-truck guys with. If you can wait for that first date, do it. If they don't build it by that date, look elsewhere. I'd also check with ARB and Fab Fours.

I'd try inquiring of Alien Patrol too. They build good stuff, just like Road Armor for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure they're still in business, as they don't answer the phone or answer email anymore...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RA bumperLQP-mini.jpg 
Views:	3963 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	26520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAbumper RQP-mini.jpg 
Views:	2676 
Size:	177.0 KB 
ID:	26521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RA Head-on-mini.jpg 
Views:	5159 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	26522  
    Last edited by Whaler22; 12-09-2007 at 06:15 PM.
    2011 Tundra 4x4 DC Ltd
    2005 Mustang GT
    2005 Honda Element EX
    2008 BMW R1200GSA

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks!
    Please keep me posted.
    I'll try contacting Road Armor tomorrow.

Liked
    0 times

By the way, I understand that the Road Armor bumpers were featured in the movie "Transformers".
    2011 Tundra 4x4 DC Ltd
    2005 Mustang GT
    2005 Honda Element EX
    2008 BMW R1200GSA

Liked
    0 times

Tough Country has winch bumpers and has been shipping them for some time now.

Tough Country Products - Toyota
    Jim March

Liked
    14 times

Man, those look great. I could drive down in about 1 1/2 hours and have them install it for me. SCHWEET!
    Ride hard, die young and leave a good looking corpse. Now that I'm older...

2013 DC 4x4 SR5 5.7 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road, Line-X Premium, Weather Tech floor liners...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by yukon_pete View Post
    Has anyone found a good winch bumper yet.
    I'm picking up my new Tundra soon and I would like to put one on as soon as possible.
    If you know of any winch bumpers out there that fit the 2007-08 Tundra, can you please give me the contact info/website?
    I am looking also for the 07 Tundra, I see the Tough Country and ARB answers, anything else out there?? Anyone have hands on experience with anything out there?

Thanks!

Liked
    0 times

Road Armors looks the best, so are the Fab Fours, and the ARB. These are my favorite bumpers if I can afford to put one on. the ARB is the only one available as of now, the other two, no word as to when they have one for the new Tundra. I really wanted Road Armor to make one.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

If you get the ARB, keep in mind that baby is over 125 lbs, so with a winch, you might be looking at close to 200 extra lbs of weight up front. I'm not sure what the later model bumpers weigh, but I had one on my 94' yota that weighed in at 125 by itself. You may have to do a little front suspension work along with it, if you haven't already.
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-28-2009, 08:44 PM