Removing Rhino Liner

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Rhino Liner

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Removing Rhino Liner

Thought I would make a separate thread. I was recently involved in an accident, and part of the repairs included removing the Rhino Liner and replacing with LineX. Long story short, I ended up doing the Rhino removal (I'll add more details once it's all done with).

First of all, everybody in my family thought I was nuts to try to attempt it, it really is a huge job. That's why linex can charge 1000-1300 to remove it!

I started off using a hammer, chisel, vise grips, and box cutter. Luckily the guy that did the install did a poor job, so a lot just peeled off. Then I got stuck, some of this stuff was impossible to get off. Off to google I went. I found a couple articles that suggested aircraft stripper. Here are the results. I used 4 gallons of this stuff! Leave it on for like 30-40 minutes and the rhino liner disintegrates. Just scrape it off with a straight edge screwdriver and putty knife. It's called "tal-strip" and can be found at advanced auto parts. But also any gel/liquid paint stripper with methylene chloride should work. Do this outside or in a well ventilated garage!! The fumes from these strippers decrease the oxygen carrying ability of the blood! Also do NOT get this on your skin, it starts burning immediately.

Before:

Last edited by dibble9012; 03-12-2010 at 10:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Re: Removing Rhino Liner

well I finished thursday night. No pictures yet because I am in NY without my truck. Anyways, looks great, and I will get it sprayed this week as soon as the insurance check comes in

Liked
    91 times
    Images

that is crazy... never thought that some one had to remove it.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Here's a picture of all rhino removed. I have a LineX appointment Monday, they have to order the xtra material.

Last edited by dibble9012; 03-12-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I wonder how Xylene (Xylol) would do on that stuff. That's what they recommend for removing the cheaper Herculiner you can buy in can form.
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

I'll have pictures of the linex installed later today Hopefully it looks great! I told the guy not to linex over anything that can be removed from the bed. I actually took out all the bolts, plugs, cargo holders, and access panel beforehand (not including the bed bolts, kinda need those installed to drive to the shop).

Liked
    6 times

Waiting for pics!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

I'm picking it up at 4pm today, linex just called to say it will be ready.

The linex dealer did say he could not remove all the bed bolts (they were rusted in, which I don't believe, the body shop must have over tightened them when they reinstalled the bed) Anyways, he taped around the bolts so they are still exposed. I'm sure it turned out great, several people have referred me to this shop including a member on here. Can't wait to pick it up! I might try to get the body shop to loosen them up and take it back to get spot sprayed. I'm kind of strange like that, hahaha, I'd rather the linex go under the bolt than around it. I'll see how it turned out. I will eventually replace the bed bolts because they were beginning to rust on top a little.

The guy did seem surprised when I told him I removed the rhino myself. He was one of the shops that I got a quote from to remove the rhino.
    Last edited by dibble9012; 10-20-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Liked
    6 times

We've actually run into that bolt problem a couple of times with a Tundra. Both times the truck was from a dealership that's only a couple of blocks away. So, we took them back to the dealer and let them remove them. Now, we could have tried a little harder, but we did not want to take a chance messing something up. Tundra bed bolts have rather low profile threads and can be easily stripped. So, really, the LINE-X dealer did the right thing: If the bolt does not release under normal circumstances, then leave it alone.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Picked it up, I'll have pictures shortly. Awesome work, he really did a great job. You could tell he cared about his work, and was proud of it. The place is linex in Manassas, VA. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat!

Last edited by dibble9012; 03-12-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

hey Dibble9012, question for you, if you were involved in an accident, where was the damage to the bed that would have gotten the liner covered?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Tailgate, and they had to rip up parts of the old liner to get to the bed bolts to remove the bed.

Very interesting question, planning something? hahaha. j/k

Liked
    0 times

I didn't see anything worse than the oil stains. I had a faded look to my 2000 Tun. and found that with 2-3 cans of flat black made it pop. It doesn't look as good as your new liner but I'm stoked.

Liked
    6 times

It's finally done!

If I were to be a bit critical, I'd say he "puddled" the Xtra a bit.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Just an update. My issues with Nationwide have been resolved. Supposedly it was an "error in communication" on their side. Anyways I'm happy with how they fixed the situation. I want to give them praise where due. Overall they are a great insurance company, I just had a hiccup with this claim. Yes it was a PITA hiccup, a week worth of my time type of hiccup, but hey, in the end, the repairs are great and everything is done correctly, and nationwide has made me a happy customer

The issue was nationwide said all the quotes for removal were too expensive and they wanted to spray over the old stuff. I ended up doing the removal myself to get it done right because after sending them several quotes, I was tired of going quote hunting when the obvious answer was "ITS EXPENSIVE!!" . They thought the "cheap" quote I sent them included removal even though the invoice did not say it included it (just for spray in linex). They have made the situation right and I am happy! So overall, I am extremely happy with Ricks AutoBody in Warrenton, VA (did the accident repair work), and extremely happy with LineX of Manassas, and happy with nationwide.
    Last edited by dibble9012; 10-24-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast