Best Mods for Tundra

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Mods for Tundra

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Best Mods for Tundra

I was wanting to see if i could get a discussion started on the best mods and accesories for the Tundra (that is cosmetically and performance-wise). Prices would be great too. Any input would help. Thanks!
    Snake

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    10 times

Default Re: Best Mods for Tundra

One of the best mods is free. Take the metal plates off the inside surface of your map(personel) lights and you will get and instant improvement in the cab lighting. Find the pivot point with a small screwdriver and gently pry the plastic cover out. Take off the metal plate. Put it back in and be amazed at the light you were missing.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm no expert since I'm just getting started w/ Tundra mods, but here are my first two:- speakers: I installed 2 pairs of Polk EX3560 component speakers, and they made an amazing difference. Polk is having a 50% off on a 2nd set of speakers deal, and my Crutchfield catalog offers 15% off just about everything they carry, so I got 2 pairs for $320 shipped. The only problem is that they made me want to also get a power amp (any suggestions here? I'm leaning toward a MTS 4 channel amp) and a JL Stealthbox. - Helwig rear swaybar: made a HUGE improvement in my Tundra's handling. I wish I'd done this when I bought my truck, as it's now a lot more fun to drive. (it's all relative; I also own a Honda S2000, so this slightly narrows the difference). ~$138 shipped to my door.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

nedjames,
    Thanks for the tip: I did it, and it was quick, easy, and effective!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Chris S I had the same problem...recently added XM Radio with Infinity spkrs (F&R)...sooo, got me an AlpineMRV-F307 90Wx4AMP Where did you get the Hellwig? Lelandstanford told me at Franks Pizza in Houston this past Saturday that JC Whitney carries it, but I couldn't find it. S2000?.....very, very, sweet. I sold my '98 Prelude 5spd last summer..great car, but just a taste of what the S2000 is. Color?

Liked
    0 times

Question Re: Best Mods for Tundra

Yes I would also like to know where the Hellwig sway bars come from? That price is just right :-)

Liked
    18 times
    Images

I get a kick out of my flowmaster cat-back duals every time I start up. There's nothing like that V-8 rumble. In second place? Probably the Skull billet grill. I like the looks of the Tundra -- except for that grill! Third place was removing the teen-age decals from the truck box, and the numerous chrome nameplates. I mean, a little chrome is OK, I guess, but the tailgate of mine read: Toyota Tundra i-Force V-8 4WD. A bit much, methinks.
    Larry Lawton
    Retired in Wyoming
    07 Salsa Red CrewMax Limited

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Originally posted by EZ2BME:
    I had the same problem...recently added XM Radio with Infinity spkrs (F&R)...sooo, got me an AlpineMRV-F307 90Wx4AMP I've been curious about XM Radio - have you actually got it running? How is the reception? Does it work well in garages/tunnels and near power lines? And isn't there a monthly fee? Sorry for all the questions but I've heard alot of advertising and was curious if people were actually getting on board. Thanks for the input.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

XM is amazing. No other word I can think of more accurately describes this system. There is a reason you're seeing more and more advertising, more and more people are buying it (and therefore funding more advertising). Hailed from top to bottom of the 2001 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas as best new technology, it is astonishing that someone hasn't done this before. Yes, there is a monthly service. $10 a month...100 channels (70 or so are music, 30 are news/sports/information); breaks down to what, 10 cents per channel? Even if you only like 20 channels, that's still 50 cents a day per station. Yes, there will be some disruption of service entering large parking structures, tunnels and the like, but the reception overall is astounding. I've had my system up and running since November (when the system went live up north here), and can count on my hands the number of CD's I've listened to since then. There really is no need anymore. Feel free to drop me a line...I've got some pictures of my XM antenna install that I need to repost. Am going through my audio system and adding a new sub amp and cut-through box for 4 of the new JL Audio 10W7 woofers. Can't wait

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

EZ2BME ,
    Did the power amp give you much extra bass? I'm hoping it will make a nice improvement, but I suspect I'll still want a sub. I bought my Helwig from summitracing.com. My S2000 is yellow, pics are @ <a http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/chris_.../S2000&.view=l if you're interested. I had a '97 Prelude SH a few years back. Great car, but the S2000 is a whole new experience! Part of the reason I'm here is that I did just about everything I want to do on the S2000, so now the Tundra is getting a little fix-up attention!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I purchased my Helwig from Summit. One word of advice on this mod, check to ensure your nuts and bolts are of the same thread pitch. Helwig had a problem of mixing them and you could easily cross-thread things if you are not careful.
    Jeff
    2007 CrewMax Limited

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I took all the decals off of my truck also. A bit much indeed.
    Slacker

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Getting flowmasters is a great upgrade. It really makes the tundra's exhaust sound awesome! How about any other mods or upgrades that add alot of horsepower and speed? Are there actually many of those on the market besides the headers, exhuast and supercharger due this year?
    Snake

Liked
    0 times

My favorite two mods that I have done to my '01 is: 1) Borla dual side exit exhausts and 2) Hellwig sway bar. I agree with others and suggest that if you get a sway bar to do a dry run to make sure the nuts and bolts are correct. Mine were way off! I purchased my sway bar from summit racing and they were excellent.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

although i dont have the sway bar yet, its my next project after dropping in the trd limited slip by trd (actually made by eaton). a website that has a ton of truck part, including the hellwig sway bar is http://www.truckperformance.com/ you guys should check it out. search by vehicle (upper left hand side), and then read the script until you get to specific parts byvehicle. click on this and you'll get tons of stuff just for your model and year truck. have fun with it guys, glad i could help....
    aika

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.