Whats best placement for convex mirrors?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats best placement for convex mirrors?

Liked
    0 times

Default Whats best placement for convex mirrors?

Guy at the dealer recommended adding the little 1 1/2" convex mirror to the side mirrors.

Anyone know the best placement for the convex mirrors to eliminate the blind spot in the side mirrors? Top outside, bottom outside, top inside or bottom inside?
    2003 Tundra SR5 Desert Sand Access Cab
    2X4, LSD, Tow Package
    Mods: Anti-Sway Bar, OEM Fog Lights, Alarm, Bed Rug, Aux. Back-Up Lights, Truxedo Tonneau

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jibbydog
    Anyone know the best placement for the convex mirrors to eliminate the blind spot in the side mirrors? Top outside, bottom outside, top inside or bottom inside?
    I am quite please with mine at the bottom outside.
    Sam~n~Jaz
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

Guy at the dealer recommended adding the little 1 1/2" convex mirror to the side mirrors.

I couldn't live without those mirrors! I put them on the day I bought my Tundra, on the way home from the dealership. I always place mine on the bottom INSIDE, because I really don't need to see the side of my truck in the big mirror and it doesn't block any of the road in the main mirror visibility.

Once you get used to having them on, you'll never know what you ever did without them! Especially when you're backing up along a curb or to check if you're inside the lines of a parking space. It's also killed any blind spot problems I may have had otherwise.

One good thing about them, is that when you lose one (one of mine MELTED off in the Mojave desert last Summer), you can always get a replacement at the next gas station or Kwik-E-Mart!

Jeff

Liked
    0 times

Now the question is round or rectangular? Just a matter of looks I'm sure. I've give some thought to adding a set of these myself. The Tundra is my first pick-up truck, and I'm finding that parking in normal parking spaces is a bit difficult. I have a far easier time parking my company truck, and it's way bigger. Of course, I've been driving that one for seven years now.
    http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/im...ckettruck_.jpg
    (I took that pic for a bell system web site to use as a comparison to this pic)
    http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/im...hotos/liu-.jpg

I've seen convex mirrors for Ford/Dodge/Chevy that are shaped to fit the entire outer edge of the stock mirror. They look to be about 2" wide. I'd love to find these for the Tundra.

Liked
    3 times

2", round, bottom outside corner. This is one of the first things I put on my truck, they work great.
    SATundra
    2001 Limited, V8, 2wd, TRD, Metallic Silver Sky

MODS:
    TIRES:
    Michelin LTX M/S LT265/75/R16 load C rated
    SUSPENSION:
    front - red/blu 4x4 HD Bilsteins shocks & HD TRD 4x4 coils providing 1.75" lift, rear - TRD add-a-leafs, Hellwig swaybar, yell/blu 4x4 Bilsteins
    INTERIOR: CB-Ham/Scanner/150W linear amp in custom console, 10 disc CD player, Donnelly comp/temp mirror, Toyota All Weather floormats, tinted windows, radar detector, backseat angle mod,
    EXTERIOR: Grizzly SS brushguard, Better Built alum toolbox w/lights, Weatherflector Ventvisors, chrome step tubes, UTR bedliner, hitch, SteelHorse Bull Rings, Mobil 1 oils, 2 TS stickers, 2 TS license frames, 2 www.TundraSolutions.com stickers,
    ELECTRICAL: 55W undercarriage entry lights, extra set 55W reverse lights, 55W underhood lights, DEI alarm, 12V Acc plug/engine compartment, 400watt power inverter, foglight/cargolight/acc plug/maplight mod

Liked
    0 times

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback.

We got two like it bottom outside and one likes it bottom inside. So bottoms has it. What about inside or outside? Any more opinions - what's best for visibility?
    2X4, LSD, Tow Package
    Mods: Anti-Sway Bar, OEM Fog Lights, Alarm, Bed Rug, Aux. Back-Up Lights, Truxedo Tonneau

Liked
    0 times

I drive a Chevy van for work with no side windows other then the pasenger and driver windows so I can't live without them on that. I put them on my tundra just because I hate having to look over my sholder, I drive from my mirrors only. I put them on the inside but it does depend on the mirror sometimes. If i was you I would get the ones you can adjust. They are round and small and have a slight angle and you can spin it around to where you get the best angle even after it's stuck on there. I have my mirror adjusted to see everything I can just out of view of the side of my truck and the little mirror can see the entire side and anything in my blind spot so I like it on the inside. Just ask anybody that has wiped out the side of thier truck or van with a pole sticking out of the ground about 4 feet high and I'm sure they would've paid the 5 bucks for the mirrors
    Craig
    I know enough to be very dangerous to myself and others.
    www.craigberry.net

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by CregBeary
    I put them on the inside but it does depend on the mirror sometimes. If i was you I would get the ones you can adjust. They are round and small and have a slight angle and you can spin it around to where you get the best angle even after it's stuck on there. I have my mirror adjusted to see everything I can just out of view of the side of my truck and the little mirror can see the entire side and anything in my blind spot so I like it on the insideCraig
    Good advice, Craig. I'll look for the ones that spin.
    2X4, LSD, Tow Package

Liked
    0 times

OK, we have a tie on placement of the little convex mirror. Two for bottom inside, two for bottom outside.

Anyone got a reason why one placement is better than the other for eliminating the blind spot?
    2X4, LSD, Tow Package

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

OK, we have a tie on placement of the little convex mirror. Two for bottom inside, two for bottom outside.

Anyone got a reason why one placement is better than the other for eliminating the blind spot?
    Damn I love that dog!
    I'd suggest you get the mirrors and use some Scotch tape to mess around with placement yourself. It's really a personal preference, I'm sure, as to what people want to see in their main mirror. I have personally found that putting the convex mirrors on the bottom outside, I lose the road and distant view behind the truck that would be too small for the convex mirror to pick up.

I too have seen those extended convex trailer mirrors on the Fjords and thought they'd be cool - if I was towing something that is... otherwise they'd look a bit Mickey Mouse (literally).

Jeff
    Account no longer active.

Liked
    0 times

I would say inside bottom. I too drove a cargo van with no windows for a living and the mirror is invaluable. I feel that putting the mirror on the outside takes away from things you might want to see past your truck and behind. The bubble mirror on the inside lower is the perfect position for things to the side and behind your drivers door. IMO

Liked
    0 times

I would say inside bottom. I too drove a cargo van with no windows for a living and the mirror is invaluable. I feel that putting the mirror on the outside takes away from things you might want to see past your truck and behind. The bubble mirror on the inside lower is the perfect position for things to the side and behind your drivers door. IMO

Great guys. That the advice I was looking for. I'm going to buy 2" convex mirrors that spin and put them on temporary with tape to see whats best.

Damn I love that dog!
    Jib the dog is the coolest. He wears the shades for sailing the pacific.
    2X4, LSD, Tow Package

Liked
    0 times

Talking

I use the rectangle convex located middle-inside---This setup is more streamlined for myself. It doesn't distort the outside view that's needed when backing my jetski's into the water, nor does it distort any views that's important. When changing lanes I use the convex (show's blindspot), then exterior (outer edges), and finally I use my "peripheral vision".

This seems to not be too popular---but it works for me. Good Luck on you choice!

Liked
    0 times

Default Installed blind spot mirrors

After all the help from you guys, I bought 2" round, adjustable mirrors and put them on the inside bottom of my side mirrors. They have a nice black trim around them and look good. Got them at Kragen Auto.

I did not realize how bad the blind spot is until using these little mirrors. Now I can easily see a vehicle in the blind spot.
    I highly recommend these little $3.95 mirrors.

for the advice.
    2X4, LSD, Tow Package

Liked
    0 times

Those are the exact ones i got and in the same place, very small yet big enough to see everything. Never had a problem seeing anything and after 3 months no dents or scratches (knock on wood).
    I know enough to be very dangerous to myself and others.
    www.craigberry.net

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)