2004 Sequoia Overhead Console in a First Gen Access Cab

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jim65wagon

Thread: 2004 Sequoia Overhead Console in a First Gen Access Cab

Liked
    94 times
    Images

Default 2004 Sequoia Overhead Console in a First Gen Access Cab

The Tundra Refurbishment Project is still underway. Today was resolving an issue the truck had from day 1 of ownership and I had no idea of how to deal with it.

The first gen access cab Tundra comes with 1 sunglasses holder. It's between the sunvisors and holds 1 pair of sunglasses. I don't know whose sunglasses it would actually hold, because it is so shallow it bent every single pair of sunglasses I ever tried to keep in it - another good reason for spending 10 and not 100 dollars on sunglasses. As a matter of fact, the only glasses that ever fit have been my "hey old man, you need these to read a map" reading glasses. I needed something or someway to carry real sunglasses, and more than one pair at a time; there are 4 of us in the truck at times.

After a mere 10 years I finally figured it out.

Allow me to ask a question.
    Can an overhead console from a 2004 Sequoia fit a 2003 Tundra? Why, yes. Yes it can.
    Is it an easy bolt-in operation? Why no. No it's not. Not easy at all.

After hours of fitting, refitting, making an extra bracket near the back, rewiring a 4 wire plug to a 3 wire plug, more refitting, cutting templates for filler panels, more refitting, cutting filler panels, more refitting, recutting filler panels, insulating the roof, and finally bolting it all up, only to discover the wiring I redid was done correctly on the first try (ie the lights come on when the door opens, automatically shut off, and come on when you flick the switch!). It's finished, all in one day. Whew!

I need to give a great big shout out to my wife Elizabeth without whom I'd still be struggling with the second or third fitment. She's awesome, talented, and beautiful!

Here you can see the original holder/light combination, along with the stick-on "console" I picked up from Grainger to hold 2 pair of sunglasses together.

And here is the after shot. 2004 Sequoia overhead console with multiple sunglasses and other miscellaneous storage. The black filler panels (which match the new interior nicely!) are black anodized aluminum leftover from our teardrop build.

Last edited by jim65wagon; 06-14-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra Thread

Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1739 times
    Images

Default Re: 2004 Sequoia Overhead Console in a First Gen Access Cab

pimpin'
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    212 times

Default Re: 2004 Sequoia Overhead Console in a First Gen Access Cab

Love the mod. If it didn't require so much custom work I'd do it myself. I'm very picky about making things look factory. I'm not sure I could get it as good as yours looks