Squeaky/Creaky Brake Pedal

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeaky/Creaky Brake Pedal

Liked
    0 times

Unhappy Squeaky/Creaky Brake Pedal

My truck has 5700 miles on it. Lately I have noticed the brake pedal squeaks and creaks when depressed. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to grease it without making a mess?
    Built 06/2003 SR5 Acc. Cab V8 Silver Sky Metallic 4x2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by 03SilverSky
    My truck has 5700 miles on it. Lately I have noticed the brake pedal squeaks and creaks when depressed. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to grease it without making a mess?
    mine does it too! 8k on an 04 DC. Am interested in finding this out because my old Toy 4WD clutch pedal creaked from day 1. Eventually there was a TSB on the bushings because greasing it only helped for awhile.

Liked
    1 times

Yep my 03 has 11000 miles on it and has done it since new. It is getting a little irritating now. Let me know if you find a cure.

Liked
    0 times

I just hit 10,000 miles today. All of them, except for the test drive, have been with a speaky break pedal. I have had two toyota oil changes and every time I ask them to look at the break pedal. They say they lubed it up and it won't speak... once I drive out it the squeak is back.
    2003 Stratosphere Mica SR5 Access Cab
    Shocks: Bilstein 5100 coilovers and 5100s in the rear.
    Wheels: Toyo Open Country A/T 275/70/16s on MB Blitz rims

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I had the creaking brake pedal problem show up on my '03 after just a couple of thousand miles. My problem was that the automatic transmission lockout mechanism (connected to the brake pedal linkage) needed some lube (the pin actually had a little bit of rust on it).

A few careful shots of WD-40 onto the pin/inside the cylinder fixed the problem. Its been about a year since I last did this and the creaking sound hasn't come back yet.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

More info:

Actually, the A/T lockout pin (spring loaded) pushes against the brake pedal assembly (its not connected to the linkage as I stated in my last post). So when you depress the brake pedal, the steel A/T lockout pin will be forced out of its cylinder by a spring. To get rid of the creaking, you need to make sure that this pin can travel freely with no binding.

Liked
    4 times

Got 15k miles on my '03 Tundra with the same problem.

dudebert_2001 from what you've said I wonder if its something that the average joe can fix or is it better left to the dealership to look at and fix the problem? Hopefully its something that a little WD-40 can fix without having to take it in to the dealership.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

c350 Sr5,

This is definitely something you can do yourself pretty easily. The only difficult part about it is laying on the floor and getting your body in a good postition to see the A/T lockout pin - its located high up on the brake pedal assembly, close to where the brake light switch is.

I carefully squirted WD-40 (using the red sprayer tube) onto the metal pin and into the cylinder the pin travels in. It might help if the transmission is in neutral (P-brake on) - I think this causes the pin to stick out further, so its easier to cover with lubricant.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the tip my rig has been doing this for about the last month. I have 8700 miles on it now. I will check this out today. It is annoying, I don't like any noises. Does anyone have a rubbing noise coming from the rear seat area? This is really bugging me, I have had the back seat out three times and still have this noise. Sounds like two pieces of vinly rubbing together.
    2005 Camry SE V6. 3.3 V6,Moonroof, JBL 6 Disc changer, perforated leather seats, 17 inch rims, rear spoiler, power seat, windows locks mirrors, keyless entry.

Liked
    3 times

I've had the noise since day one also, like two pieces of leather almost rubbing together. It's in the back on the passenger side, I have learned to live with it but it's still there, I have posted before with the same inquiry. I think it may be the vent out through the back of the cap and the closure flap there as someone else posted this suggestion. Is the noise gone with the seat out?

Liked
    0 times

The noise still seems to be there with the seat out. When the seat is out you have alot of road noise so you have to listen carefully. I too think that it is coming from the passenger side. I thought it might be that flat thing, and I put velcro around it and tape and took it for a ride and seemed like the noise was still there. I'm really baffled by this, I am usually really good at finding noises as I have owned alot of GM vehicles and they are notorious for noises.I'll keep trying and will let you know if I find it. I'm going to take the seat out again and leave it out for awhile to really make sure.
    2005 Camry SE V6. 3.3 V6,Moonroof, JBL 6 Disc changer, perforated leather seats, 17 inch rims, rear spoiler, power seat, windows locks mirrors, keyless entry.

Liked
    0 times

Default Warranty Work

I took my Tundra to the dealership today. I asked them to address the creaky break pedal for the second time. They are ordering new bushings for me. Maybe that will do the trick. (I had another issue, but figured while I was there I would have them try to fix the creak.)

Liked
    0 times

Default Update:

Dealer replaced my break pedal bushings....smooth as silk now!

Liked
    1 times

Dealer replaced my break pedal bushings....smooth as silk now!
    I finally put mine in the shop for that squeaky brake pedal. I was told today that they had to order the brake booster, whatever that is. I will let you know if that cures it or not.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by confederate2
    I finally put mine in the shop for that squeaky brake pedal. I was told today that they had to order the brake booster, whatever that is. I will let you know if that cures it or not.

I had a brake booster installed on my 03 also. It seemed to make a click noise when the brake pedal was pressed below half way. It fixed the problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.