Can aluminum be chrome plated?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Can aluminum be chrome plated?

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default Can aluminum be chrome plated?

I saw on another post that he was talking of getting his aluminum skid plate chromed? Is that possible? If si, is it costly and will it last?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Yes, aluminum can be plated. We have friends in the business at Chromal and they have done hard chrome over aluminum as well as hard chrome on stainless for us.

Back in the 70's we had a jet boad and when having the jet pump blueprinted we found that the stainless steel impeller shaft had a very slight wow in it. We corrected it by the 'grind-plate-grind process where it was ground (on a lathe) back into spec for straightness, plated the heck out of it (oversize) and then it was again ground back down to the proper diameter. An unconventional way to get there but the only other option was to replace the shaft...

The founder of Chromal Plating, the late Ray Bokelman (he was our next door neighbor when I was a baby and my dad worked for him for a while, VERY DIRTY WORK!!), had an early, early Ford Ranchero that her did some trick stuff to including chrome plating the aluminum intake manifold. Plating someting like that is VERY tricky and painstaking to get the chrome to take evenly, especially in all of the nooks and crannies. He did it and it was very sweet...

Steve
    "I don't understand everything that I know about it"

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Yes it can be chromed, however why not just polish it? Looks as good and won't chip like chrome. After polished you can clear coat or leave as is and re-polished when it oxidizes enough.
    1996 T100, 203,000 and counting

Liked
    0 times

Polish instead if you must - chroming is a environmentally nasty process. Keep in mind that a polished skid plate will act like a mirror and reflect road, dirt or whatever you are rolling on.
    wherever you go, there you are

Liked
    0 times

chrome just looks better than polished to me. i have the putco pop up side rails and the 2 end pieces are chrome and the center tube is polished. the end pieces look a lot better then the center piece. I am thinking about having the center piece chromed to match.
    2002 Tundra, SR5, V8, Access Cab, TRD Offroad package, Putco Pop-up locker bed rails, clear side corners, Silverstar headlights and foglights, AVS bug deflector

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Supraman93
    chrome just looks better than polished to me. i have the putco pop up side rails and the 2 end pieces are chrome and the center tube is polished. the end pieces look a lot better then the center piece. I am thinking about having the center piece chromed to match.
    Most likely the pop up pieces are chromed and the centers are polished Stainless Steel, rather than chrome.

Stainless steel and chrome like just as much different as they do look a like.

Meaning a lot of people can't tell the difference between the two until they are held up next to each other. Then it is night and day difference between them.

Chromed steel, chromed aluminum, chromed stainless steel all can look different after bing chromed due to the base material they originated with.
    1996 T100, 203,000 and counting

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by peid
    Most likely the pop up pieces are chromed and the centers are polished Stainless Steel, rather than chrome.

Stainless steel and chrome like just as much different as they do look a like.

Meaning a lot of people can't tell the difference between the two until they are held up next to each other. Then it is night and day difference between them.

Chromed steel, chromed aluminum, chromed stainless steel all can look different after bing chromed due to the base material they originated with.
    i can definitely tell the difference. honestly is bugs me, and if i knew they looked like that i would not have ordered them. but i guess they arent THAT bad. i've seen them on other trucks now that i got mine and they are all like that
    2002 Tundra, SR5, V8, Access Cab, TRD Offroad package, Putco Pop-up locker bed rails, clear side corners, Silverstar headlights and foglights, AVS bug deflector