"Shift L" button on dash of auto Tundra

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Shift L" button on dash of auto Tundra

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default "Shift L" button on dash of auto Tundra

OK: I am about to take the plunge with an '05 V6 Tundra with automatic transmission. Just what does the "Shift L" button on the dash, just to the right of the steering column, do? The salesman could not tell me, as it seems to be a feature that is new to the '05 models and the five-speed auto transmission. Can anyone help me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

You have to press this button in to get it to go into 1`st gear. The column itself only allows down to second. Push the button and you have 1st. Odd but that is what it does.
    2006 RAV4
    1990 Toyota x-tra Cab Pickup

Old rides (Toyota only listed)
    2005 Tundra Double Cab
    1990 4x4 Dlx Pickup
    1985 SR5 x-tra Cab Pickup

Liked
    0 times

By the way, check my local dealer in Columbia, SC and see if they beat Atlanta prices on the truck you are looking at. When I bought mine they had some good deals. Just go to Dick Deyers website and click on virtual showroom. I bought a DC 05 Tundra for what other places were selling dc 05 Tacomas for with less options.
    2006 RAV4
    1990 Toyota x-tra Cab Pickup

Old rides (Toyota only listed)
    2005 Tundra Double Cab
    1990 4x4 Dlx Pickup
    1985 SR5 x-tra Cab Pickup

Liked
    0 times

the truck will start off in first no matter where u put the shifter or how the L button is used...the button is used if u are going downhill and want to lock the tranny in low gear to use the engine as a brake...no more, no less...

as someone who actually uses this feature at times i think it would be cool if my truck had the button..i have to use the gear shifter and manually shift it to low if i need the engine break for downhill use...if u don't use the button the truck drives just any other automatic...

once again for those who need this info twice in one post....the truck starts off in FIRST GEAR...this button has NOTHING to do with that....

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by wdwrkr51
    OK: I am about to take the plunge with an '05 V6 Tundra with automatic transmission. Just what does the "Shift L" button on the dash, just to the right of the steering column, do? The salesman could not tell me, as it seems to be a feature that is new to the '05 models and the five-speed auto transmission. Can anyone help me?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default This last reply was 100% accurate.

I asked three salesmen before buying my '05 regular cab with 5 spd automatic, and not one could answer this question correctly. You are right, the button is intended to lock the transmission in first gear for creeper work, or engine braking on a downhill - this per the owners manual and my personal experimentation. Thanks!

Liked
    0 times

glad i could help..enjoy your new toy

Quote Originally Posted by wdwrkr51
    I asked three salesmen before buying my '05 regular cab with 5 spd automatic, and not one could answer this question correctly. You are right, the button is intended to lock the transmission in first gear for creeper work, or engine braking on a downhill - this per the owners manual and my personal experimentation. Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.