how to repair rust on chrome bumpers

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to repair rust on chrome bumpers

Liked
    0 times

Question how to repair rust on chrome bumpers

I guess this applies to all vehicles that have chrome bumpers. I have a 00' 4Runner SR5, I had noticed some rust developing on my rear bumper near the tail pipe.

I am wondering if anyone know what I can do/use to remove the rust. and once it has been removed what can I apply to prevent more rusting?

TIA,
    Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

My '98 has the same problem, and it seems to be very common. A similar 4R in my area has the exact same condition.

I was quote $238 for a new center bumper (the end peices seem fine) from Toyota. Anyone got sources for a better deal?

thanks --
    wherever you go, there you are

Liked
    0 times

thanks, I was hoping to fix it instead of getting a new one. I think I would have the same problem after a few years if I were to replace the whole bumper.

Liked
    0 times

There is really no way to repair rusty chrome, short of replating it. The appearance of rust means the chromium plating has eroded to the point that water is getting to the underlying steel.

I've noticed a couple of 4Runners here in the Rust Belt that "repaired" their rust problem by simply repainting the bumper black in the rusted area. Both trucks had it done in a very professional manner, and it was decent looking and didn't really catch your eye. This at least forestalls further rusting.

-Karl

Liked
    0 times

Thanks khaug, That's what I was thinking. I just wanted to see if there is a more simpler/cheaper solution.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)