TACOMA:Weak Tailgate

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums Ė General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TACOMA:Weak Tailgate

Liked
    0 times

Default Weak Tailgate

I put a 4 wheeler in the back of my Tacoma this weekend and when I was backing it out something happened to the tailgate. Now when I close the tailgate it sticks out on the right hand side, to get it to close properly I have to close the tailgate really hard. I am not sure if the tailgate it bent or if there is something that is sprung inside. I was really disappointed when this happened, because they are always advertising on the commercial on how it is so easy to but equipment in the back on the truck. What is the point on owing a truck if you canít put anything in the back of it. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to see if something like this is covered under warranty. On top of that I also got about 10 paint chips this weekend and the 3m strips that are the truck are also falling off.

I am really sad about the tailgate and everything else. Other then the above problems I really love my truck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

There's no steel core to the tailgate. It's just the thin sheet metal on the outside and the composite panel on the inside. Not very strong, and pretty lightweight if you ask me. Does anyone know how much weight it can hold? It better be covered under warranty. Toyota knows it's got a lot riding on this new composite bed, and you should be able to use the bed to do the things you buy a truck to do.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaGoolia
    I put a 4 wheeler in the back of my Tacoma this weekend and when I was backing it out something happened to the tailgate. Now when I close the tailgate it sticks out on the right hand side, to get it to close properly I have to close the tailgate really hard. I am not sure if the tailgate it bent or if there is something that is sprung inside. I was really disappointed when this happened, because they are always advertising on the commercial on how it is so easy to but equipment in the back on the truck. What is the point on owing a truck if you canít put anything in the back of it. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to see if something like this is covered under warranty. On top of that I also got about 10 paint chips this weekend and the 3m strips that are the truck are also falling off.

I am really sad about the tailgate and everything else. Other then the above problems I really love my truck.

What size quad do you have? Were you standing on the right side as well? I am just curious because I have a short bed so my motorcycle was hanging off of the tailgate by a couple of inches, which means that the majority of the weight from the back tire was further away from the hindges and everything seemed to work fine. The only thing that happened was that the plastic got a little knicked up from the ramp. Also, was the tailgate bent or did it look like the deck could possibly have been bent or torqued.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TAHOEtoSLOtaco
    What size quad do you have? Were you standing on the right side as well? I am just curious because I have a short bed so my motorcycle was hanging off of the tailgate by a couple of inches, which means that the majority of the weight from the back tire was further away from the hindges and everything seemed to work fine. The only thing that happened was that the plastic got a little knicked up from the ramp. Also, was the tailgate bent or did it look like the deck could possibly have been bent or torqued.

I have a 400 honda 4 wheeler it weight about 500 pounds. No I wasn't standing on the right side. It only happened when I was backing the 4 wheeler out of the truck onto the ramp. When I was backing out I could see the tailagate go down that's how weak it is!!!

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Default Dang!!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliaGoolia
    I have a 400 honda 4 wheeler it weight about 500 pounds. No I wasn't standing on the right side. It only happened when I was backing the 4 wheeler out of the truck onto the ramp. When I was backing out I could see the tailagate go down that's how weak it is!!!
    Have you taken it to the dealer and said:

What is up with my tailgate?
    Tacoma Double Cab, Factory Leather with Liquicell, TRD#2, Nightvision with Homelink, Custom Stripe, TRD Mats, Sound System:
    Speaker Mounts: http://www.tacotunes.com
    Audio: http://www.imagedynamics.com Speakers Image Dynamics: http://www.sounddomain.com

MORE PICS OF MY TACO:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/823613

Liked
    0 times

I hate to be the one that says, "I told you so!" but I have to. This topic has been discussed here over and over. Did you do a search here before you put your heavy quad on the back? I'm really sorry that your truck took a beating, but I would most definately go after Toyota for it. You have to remember that when you putting the quad up the ramp, you have the full weight of the quad, yourself, the gas in it, the ramps and whatever else hanging off the end of the tailgate. The leverage is gigantic. This tailgate is completely useless. You probably did the damage on the way up but didn't notice till the way out. One thing you can do your self is remove the tail gate and see if any of the hinges are bent. The tailgate comes off with no tools and by hand, simply open it about 35 degrees and lift up and out, be sure to remove the saftely cables first! The other thing to check is the latch mechansim, chances are it was either bent or forced out of alignment.

PS, I have a Bomardier Outlander that weighs 600lbs, I won't put it in the back of my rig, no way. I use a trailer, same one for my quad and snowmobile. Hope it all works out for you.

MK
    I'd rather be ....

1. atv'ing
    2. snowmobiling
    3. fishing

all of the above!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggyboot
    I hate to be the one that says, "I told you so!" but I have to. This topic has been discussed here over and over. Did you do a search here before you put your heavy quad on the back? I'm really sorry that your truck took a beating, but I would most definately go after Toyota for it. You have to remember that when you putting the quad up the ramp, you have the full weight of the quad, yourself, the gas in it, the ramps and whatever else hanging off the end of the tailgate. The leverage is gigantic. This tailgate is completely useless. You probably did the damage on the way up but didn't notice till the way out. One thing you can do your self is remove the tail gate and see if any of the hinges are bent. The tailgate comes off with no tools and by hand, simply open it about 35 degrees and lift up and out, be sure to remove the saftely cables first! The other thing to check is the latch mechansim, chances are it was either bent or forced out of alignment.

PS, I have a Bomardier Outlander that weighs 600lbs, I won't put it in the back of my rig, no way. I use a trailer, same one for my quad and snowmobile. Hope it all works out for you.

MK

Thanks for the info

But what is the point on buying a truck if you can't put anything in the back of it!!! This really sucks. I have put my 4 wheeler in the back off many other truck and I have never seen this problem.

Liked
    0 times

Most tailgates can only handle around 500lb maximum.

Most people I know take the tailgate off before they load really heavy loads in the bed, thats why it's removable in the first place.

http://www.tailgateramps.com/matt7half.JPG

Liked
    0 times

I do agree the tailgate is fairly light and should have some support bracing inside of it to make it a little more rigid. I am so cautious over it after I seen a picture online where the guy loades in sled, it bent the darn thing in the shape of a U. I will have to purchase a trailer, which I do not want to do, but it looks like I will have to.
    2005 Toyota Double Cab PreRunner SJ Package Silver Streak Mica

Liked
    0 times

The reason that I purchased a truck is to put a ski-doo or ATV in box. Because I live in the North this is a regular thing that we do every weekend, so to have to pull a trailer around every weekend to bring the ski-doo or ATV to camp isn't something that I want to do.

This tailgate shouldn't be an issue with Toyota Trucks

Liked
    0 times

Angry

I agree, it's a bummer they didn't make it stronger.

Liked
    0 times

Seriosusly if you think the tailgate could support the full weight of an atv your nuts.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by matt30
    Seriosusly if you think the tailgate could support the full weight of an atv your nuts.
    He has a legitimate complaint. At no time is the full weight of the ATV ever supported by the tailgate. When the front tires are on the tailgate the rear tires are on the ramp and so on. So, if you can't use a truck as a truck then why buy them in the first place. I feel that Toyota has made a big mistake with the composite bed and that it will soon go back to being metal.
    "If your not obsessing about something, you're probably not into it enough." - Chris Thile

2001 Tundra Limited *SOLD* :cry:
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited PSD
    1996 Ford F-250...Runnin' on Veggie Oil
    1946 John Deere A

MODS: Hellwig, Custom Duals w/ Flowmaster 40 Series and Dr. Gas X-pipe, Daystar Bushings, Cornfed 2" Front Spacers, TRD AAL, K&N FIPK, 16x8 Weld Outbacks, 285/75R16 Yokohama Geolandar's, Access Cover, BedRug, Putco Bed Rails, PP Bull Bar, WeatherFlectors, Prodigy Brake Controller, Brown Bread Sound Deadener, '05 Taillights, AMSOIL ATF

Shawn
    Southeast Region Forum

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFreak
    He has a legitimate complaint. At no time is the full weight of the ATV ever supported by the tailgate. When the front tires are on the tailgate the rear tires are on the ramp and so on. So, if you can't use a truck as a truck then why buy them in the first place. I feel that Toyota has made a big mistake with the composite bed and that it will soon go back to being metal.
    When the front tires are on the tailgate and rear tires are on the ramp.... Then where is the ramp? Oh yeah, on the tailgate too. So the entire weight of the quad would, in fact, be on the tailgate.

I guess a small portion of the weight would be supported by the ground at the other end of the ramp, but it wouldn't be much.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by bpwj76
    When the front tires are on the tailgate and rear tires are on the ramp.... Then where is the ramp? Oh yeah, on the tailgate too. So the entire weight of the quad would, in fact, be on the tailgate.
    No...when the tires are on the ramp, part of the weight on that axle is supported by the ground (where one end of the ramp is sitting) and the other part of the weight is supported by the tailgate (where the other end of the ramp is sitting). So, IN FACT, the tailgate will never see the full weight of the ATV.
    "If your not obsessing about something, you're probably not into it enough." - Chris Thile

2001 Tundra Limited *SOLD* :cry:
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited PSD
    1996 Ford F-250...Runnin' on Veggie Oil
    1946 John Deere A

MODS: Hellwig, Custom Duals w/ Flowmaster 40 Series and Dr. Gas X-pipe, Daystar Bushings, Cornfed 2" Front Spacers, TRD AAL, K&N FIPK, 16x8 Weld Outbacks, 285/75R16 Yokohama Geolandar's, Access Cover, BedRug, Putco Bed Rails, PP Bull Bar, WeatherFlectors, Prodigy Brake Controller, Brown Bread Sound Deadener, '05 Taillights, AMSOIL ATF

Shawn
    Southeast Region Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast