"Granby" Popup Camper.. anyone using it?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: "Granby" Popup Camper.. anyone using it?

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Default "Granby" Popup Camper.. anyone using it?

Four Wheel Campers has a few shots of Tundras using these small popup campers in their photo section. The thing weighs in at about 795 lbs. I remember reading a while back about some of the horror stories of the heavier campers (much heavier than this one) and saw one the pictures where the guy had fractured part of the frame as a result.

Does anyone have any experience with these?
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: "Granby" Popup Camper.. anyone using it?

I'm looking at buying a Grandby by Four wheel campers. Did you try this combination on your Tundra? I have a 2003 Access cab Limited. I think the weight will be ok, but the bed is only 6'6" +/- so the camper will extend over the tail gate. Any suggestions? Wingman

JAW
    Liked
    0 times

I have on my wish list the HawK model by Fourwheel Campers for my 03 Access 4x4 Tundra. My thought on the Grandby is that it overhangs the truck too much, but Fourwheel does say that some have done it. They talk about it somewhere on their website, I think in the Frequently Asked Question area.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]2003 TRD Off Road Acess Cab.
    Current modifications: Wheeler Coils and AAL, Limit Straps, Line-X

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by wingman25
    I'm looking at buying a Grandby by Four wheel campers. Did you try this combination on your Tundra? I have a 2003 Access cab Limited. I think the weight will be ok, but the bed is only 6'6" +/- so the camper will extend over the tail gate. Any suggestions? Wingman
    After much hard decision making, we chose the pop-up camper made by Phoenix campers in Denver Colorado. www.phoenixcampers.com It is very well made, the weight quoted is WET weight and came with lots of accessories that would have to be installed in most other campers. It fits very well on our 2003 Tundra Access Cab, and the only complaint we have is that the fuel milage went from 17.5 @ 75mph down to 12.5 +/- at 75. But we save the $100 / night in motel costs and food.
    PS: we are still under the GVWR with this camper. Wingman25

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

This may be too late for imjin, but in case any others are considering a pop-up camper...
    Four Wheel Campers make several models that will fit any truck. We have the Hawk model on our 2000 Tundra. We chose it for a couple of reasons. One is the weight. They are light enough that no suspension mods are necessary. The other is their off-road ability. Other pop-ups are made with wooden frames. FWC are made with a welded aluminum frame that can take the torque of off roading. The earlier Turtle Expeditions used these campers.

The original owner of FWC is now building similar campers called All Terrain Campers. You can find enthusiasts of both of these campers in the forum section of Wander The West. You will see that the enthusiasm of the owners of these campers is similar to that of Tundra owners and their trucks.

If you want more amenities and intend to only drive on smooth roads, then a pop-up like the Phoenix will give you more bang for your buck. But if you like to explore and wilderness camp 50 miles from the nearest paved road, these campers are your only real choices. And no, I am not affiliated in any way with either company.

LinkBacks (?)