Snugtop owners lend me your ..... fingers

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snugtop owners lend me your ..... fingers

Liked
    0 times

Default Snugtop owners lend me your ..... fingers

Hi all,
    I'm about ready to order in a Snugtop and would like to read some opinions. I don't have a dealer nearby so am doing a lot of my learning on line. I have been planning to get the Expo and still like its looks very much. I understand that the SuperSport is outselling it right now by a long shot. I hear that the reason is the popout windows that are accessible from the back without having to crawl into the truck. Looking at the models on their website, it appears that the SS has a more curved back window and I think that I like a little straighter model.

Would those of you who own one or the other give me your opinions and experiences? Especially, if you have managed to compare the models side by side.

Thanks a bunch,
    Kim

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Re: Snugtop owners lend me your ..... fingers

I bought the Expo because The supersport wasn't available & I needed the shell. It looks great, but I would have preferred the SS. I haven't yet seen one on a Tundra, so haven't been able to compare the backs. You will probably be happy with eather one.
    Paul

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Snugtop owners lend me your ..... fingers

there is another style snugtop for the tundra, which is the one i got. I dont know its name, but its just like the expo, but with sliding windows instead of the popout. In my opinion it looks much better than the expo. The expo is a little busy looking with the 2 separate windows. THe top I have, a snugtop, has one big slider, which is much cleaner looking. check it out

Liked
    8 times

I went with a hiliner to get more interior space. It really makes a huge difference. Of course, with my rack and lights, I dont fit in most garages anymore
    -------------------------

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the replies so far:

Punisher: Does XV (Extra Vision) or Cab High ring a bell?

TMS2U: Would your hiliner fit in a garage without the rack and lights? I will ultimately have a Yakima rack with several bike mounts on it, but don't need this to be on most of the time.

Thanks again,
    Kim

Liked
    0 times

KIM,
    Extravision is the one!!! I just could not remember the name. I think this shell is the hottest looking one for the tundra. Although all snugtop shells are high quality, this one is da best. Just be sure to get a snugtop, worth the extra $$. I used these really trick clamps to hold it on instead of the wimpy hold downs. I am very happy with this shell. I have been meaning to put my signature pic back on, so tonight I will and you can see what the extra vision looks like on a really bad a$$ tundra.

Liked
    8 times

With just the shell you shouldn't have a problem. The shell sits about 5 inches or so higher than the cab. With all my gear on I need at least 7'7" of headroom
    -------------------------

JG
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Re: Snugtop owners lend me your ..... fingers

TundraWolf

I've had my new SnugTop SuperSport for a couple of weeks now and consider it superior in all respects to others I've owned in the past (Leer, TriGlas, A.R.E.) and others I considered in this decision as well. I'm impressed with the SnugTop fit to the bed rails (skirted coverage), the "J" hook attachment (as opposed to "drill & bolt" or the bulky aluminum "C" clamps), their molded rubber perimeter weather seal and the overall design/style. I considered the A.R.E. "Z" series and could have ordered it locally and received it in approx. 3 weeks, but instead I waited nearly 7 weeks and made a 330 mile round trip to the nearest SnugTop dealer ... it was worth it! The SnugTop Expo was my initial 1st choice but became 2nd only because of the access to the vent window latches from the rear (my old knees just can't take it anymore) ... otherwise the design/appearence of both was similar and appealing enough for me. I'm sure you'll be pleased with either one.

Liked
    1 times

Tundrawolf; I also just had a Snugtop Supersport installed about 6 weeks ago. Click on the link at the bottom of my post to check it out. I went to the minijam this weekend and Tundra_Jules, Tundrabear and Tundra Rose took digital pics and sent them to me, so I'll send the pictures of my Truck and Snugtop to you thru an email (I just created my homepage yesterday and don't know how to add more pics to it yet or I'd do that). The one thing that no one has mentioned about the supersport is that it is the one snugtop shell that can be installed directly on top of your bedrails, and it has a flared lip that covers the bedrails from sight. I hemmed and hawed between the expo and supersport, and chose the supersport because I don't think the slanted front window on the expo has the same angle (by a long shot)as does the windows of the cab. It also doesn't flare over the bedcaps as does the snugtop. I also added the BedRug as a liner and am totally happy with it (and, it's not permanent; it attaches to the bed with adhesive backed velcro, which is nice if you want to NOT use it for whatever reason, or if you have a dog you want to put in the back, or sleep in it dring camping trips or whatever). I just sold my 1991 4x4 Taco with a "hightop" type Leer shell, and it's windows WERE angled exactly like the access cab window, and because of that match, that looked better to me than just a side window did. In other words, it's important for all the lines of a truck and shell to work off nd compliment each other, and I don't see that happening with the expo if you have an access cab. But that's just my opinion. I'll also send you a couple pics of my old Taco so you can see what I mean about that comment. Leer doesn not have a model currently that looks as slick or fit like the snugtop ss does on a Tundra, so that's why I went with Snugtop (Leer is a good quality shell, but looks better on other trucks, not Tundras). Good luck with your decision!!

Liked
    83 times
    Images

I have the SnugTop Highliner for the extra space. The lines are clean and the large slider windows after a little tinting look great and follow the extracab window lines. I would get the boot option and not the 3ed window. The dealer gave me a loaner while mine was ordered and looking through three pains (pun) of glass at night drove me crazy. The boot matches up to the rear window frame and doesn't even touch the paint. The boot/truck never leaked, but the seal between the boot and shell needed to be tightened. Get the carpet headliner too, for a few bucks, It really makes it nice inside for camping.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks again to all,

I hope to go on a little road trip this weekend. I'm hoping that it might take me buy a SnugTop dealer

RobRom1, I, too, had looked at the A.R.E. caps on the web. Unfortunately, I don't have one of them anywhere near either. SnugTop is actually the closest of the bigger manufacturers.

To all who have made offers of checking out their rigs, I am snooping when I can!

Thanks again,
    Kim

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

TundraWolf:

I have the Snugtop SuperSport on an accesscab. The rear windows on the cap come very close to matching the Tundra's rear door windows, i.e. frameless / popout / similar shape. If you don't need the extra height of the hi-liner (which I had previously on a Ranger), I highly recommend the SS. It has far more elegant window lines, and is easier to clean without the window frames. I don't believe you would regret chosing the SS, to me it looks like it was designed with the Tundra in mind. Good luck.

Liked
    0 times

I have a SnugTop Hiliner on a 2000 4x4 Limited. The thing has not served me well so far. The shell boot does not seal against the cab, so when I wash the truck or it rains, water comes in as well as through the sliding window to the cab (it is open so my German Shepherds can come up and say hi). Also, the J bolts are already rusted, the windows stick and will hardly open, even when the alum. frame is bending visibly under the pressure (no, the tracks are not dirty - it came like this), and the lock on the glass lift door at the back of the shell won't allow you to put the key in it unless you use two hands (one to push back the little metal gate in the keyway, one to push in the key). The folks that sold the shell to me have not been helpful, i.e. they say these are normal and look at me as if I'm asking for something unreasonable. Oh, yeah. One more thing. The cheap light they put in the back of the shell uses 4 AAA batteries instead of being wired into the truck's electrical. After 1 month of owning the shell, the light died (only used about 2 minutes), batteries leaked and corroded the innards of the light.

Other than that, it's been a great shell for $1217 of my hard earned cash.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I got prices on the snugtop SS and here is what I found. Cap with carpet and rack with slider window including shipping is $2260 (OUCH!!) The similiar ARE is $1719 and Leer model is $1438. I'd like the SS but for $800 more. Is it really worth it? Where can I get a GOOD deal on an SS topper?

Liked
    0 times

Hey everyone, I finally got to my SnugTop Dealer and got to check out a few canopes. The hottest selling unit here is the XV (extravision). The main reason is the sliding side window and the screens. Some of you might be aware that Klamath Falls is known for its "Greenies" which are a nymph that blossoms in the summer and gets everywhere. In the mountains, then, we are overrun with mosquitos. Hence, the screens are a welcomed addition. Evidently the SS and Expo with their pop out windows don't have screens. The price for Expo, SS and XV is about $1500 base (with shipping) $35 more for a front slider. They come standard with the battery powered overhead light as people would rather burn out a few batteries rather than the truck battery if someone forgets and leaves the light on. Most are not going with a boot between the cab and canope as it doesn't always seal very well and wears down the paint on the cab. All of these come with carpeting on the shell standard. They also have the "Cab High" for about $1200 and a bottom end model for about $1075 or so. The upper models all have the center handle on the back door rather than one on each side.

Ok, now for the question.... For $250 more I can get the Sportsman upgrade which reinforces the roof and sidewalls to better handle the weight of racks and toys. Have any of you used this upgrade?

TMSTU, How does yours handle all your toys?

Thanks again everyone. Rick, Sorry to hear the prices are so much higher out your way. Any reason for a west coast trip in your future?

TundraWolf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-16-2011, 11:51 PM