Battery Dies - Lexus RX300, 2000

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery Dies - Lexus RX300, 2000

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question Battery Dies - Lexus RX300, 2000

I replaced the battery for a 2000 RX in March '06. On 10/6/06 the battery completely died.

After having the a non-Lexus dealer double-check the wiring of the aftermarket alarm, I was told that the usual draw is 1.5 v. This leads me to believe that I should get a battery from a Lexus dealer.

I would appreciate any opinions.

j.n. tucker

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Battery Dies - Lexus RX300, 2000

You could have a bad alternator, though you would maybe be able to drive a couple of days before the car wouldn't start again.
    Ryan

2007 Toyota Yaris Base Sedan 5 speed, Tokico blue shocks, Progress lowering springs, Konig 15x6.5 Brite-Lite wheels, 195/55R15 Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires, TRD rear sway bar, NST short shifter, Mobil 1 synthetic lubricants, 83k miles

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6, 5 speed, Old Man Emu 881 front coils w/ N91 shocks, Old Man Emu 891 rear coils w/ Old Man Emu N86 shocks, 285/75/R16 BFG MT KM2's, 1998 Toyota Land Cruiser wheels, TJM-17 front bumper, Deckplate mod, K&N air filter, Alpine CDA-9883, Scan Gauge 2, Cobra WX75ST cb radio, Mobil 1 synthetic lubricants, 190k miles

Liked
    1 times

sorry cant help myself. im just guessing the tech meant 1.5 amps, not volts. if that is the case its way too high. shoot for under .050A ; most stock rx's are right around .040

Liked
    3 times

Either yu have some parasitic voltage draw when engine is off...or your alternator is bad. This is basic charging circuit stuff. But don't let an unscrupulous mechanic or dealer sell yu what yu don't need. It could be just a faulty aftermarket alarm, which I never use for this reason, causing an excessive voltage draw when engine is off and this is when battery fails.

Why would yu use an aftermarket alarm if your Lexus has one as factory standard anyway?? Usually Dealers PUSH this fluff to new car buyers even though they don't need it.
    If it's the alternator then it's straight forward. yu should'nt have to replace the battery. It's too new. But hopefully not beyond a successfuld charge. Yu can warranty it of course. try to slow charge it to get it back to good service condition first.

Put a Digital voltage meter from the positive terminal of battery and other to ground of engine or chassis and see what the voltage is and if it delcines after five minutes of shutting off the engine. That will indicate that some device is still live drawing voltage unecessary.

Good luck
    LT

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Why not temporarily fit an ammeter in the ground lead and note the reading then pull the fuses associated with the alarm. If the ammeter reading falls to the factory level of around 0.05A then it is the alarm loading the battery, If you pull the fuses from the alternator, or unplug it anyway and the current flow drops, then its a faulty alternator. Easy. Now if it is the alarm loading and you don't want to take it out, then fit a solar charger to the vehicle.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My 2000 RX battery died this July as well. I got a battery at Kragen matched for the RX and have had no problems with it. I don't think you need a dealer battery for your problem.

Question for the rest of you, my main engine seal started leaking just as my warrantee expired. Had to take down the transmission to get the seal fixed. Anyone with similar problems??
    My engine light comes on showing that the air mass sensor is on the blink.
    Mind you, I take care of my car and it only has 50K miles on it. Any similar situations also???

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvo Visage View Post
    My 2000 RX battery died this July as well. I got a battery at Kragen matched for the RX and have had no problems with it. I don't think you need a dealer battery for your problem.

Question for the rest of you, my main engine seal started leaking just as my warrantee expired. Had to take down the transmission to get the seal fixed. Anyone with similar problems??

My engine light comes on showing that the air mass sensor is on the blink.
    Mind you, I take care of my car and it only has 50K miles on it. Any similar situations also???

Obviously, what was done about the problems????

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Hi I have a low mileage RX300 also - and I had my first NO-Start yesterday - this is my 3rd replacement, so 4th battery in this car - Lexus replaced one under warrenty - most likely they SAW all the nice pretty blue crusty battery acid on my positive terminal and just replaced it - have to say I have almost never looked under the hoods of my Lexus's (this is 3rd one) mostly because the ALWAYS start - and I just sent them in for regular maintenance.

However this time I've kept the car, bought it and love it, previous two were sedans but the RX 300 is just perfect for me.

Anyway - when the last battery was replaced and they gave me a lot of trouble regarding any warranty on it - I started looking under the hood more often - EVERY time I did the positive battery terminal was ALWAYS completely coated with the crusty acid.

Lexus never had an explanation and I asked several times why I was having this problem - so this time I went to Auto Zone because I began to think the Lexus Batteries were some cheap thing they were using.

The guy at Auto Zone said something was causing my battery to overcharge - to pull one by one the fuses, then relays etc to determine what it was. - I have never heard of this before -

Well when we tried to install the new battery last night - after trying to clean up all the acid that was spewed ALL over the engine - this time the crust was a good 3"!!!! thick - We discovered that the acid had eaten right thru the connector - which remained on the old battery - had completely broken off - hence the no start - there was NO connection!!!

I had to have the car towed and the cable/connector replaced - the acid had gone down inside the cable - was clear to see, I can only hope there was not more damage done.

I have stopped using Lexus for repairs for a while now - I've had TWO oxygen sensors and a Knock sensor replaced at a HUGE cost. The first time I did take it somewhere else but he said he did not have the equipment needed to fix it - BUT he did tell me that he thought the problem was caused from the battery acid leaking and when driving being spewed on the engine and that it caused the oxygen sensor problem.

When I mention this to Lexus - my bill was like 3500.00 they said no such thing could happen and that the leaking battery acid could do no harm.

Well I am a female, but I have been brought up around mechanical things all my life - and acid dripping all over something for years on end doesn't sound terribly positive to me - and I feel like they were taking total advantage of me, and thinking dumb female won't know the difference.

Has anyone else had this problem with leaking acid and what did you do about it or are their batteries just no good????

What kind of battery do they use?? Mine just says Toyota on it - also says 84 months - I would like to contact Lexus directly and see what can be done about this - anyone have any idea's??

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Go to any ADVANCE Auto store and they will check the battery operation and the alternator ( charging system ) for free.

It is always a good idea to oint the battery terminals with di-electric grease so they don't corrode and produce nasty salts/minerals.

Also, you don't need to spend a fortune on expensive batteries. Buy the cheapest one you can find and it will last just as long as the expensive ones. They are all made at the same plants by the same manufacturers. The expensive ones have a longer warranty, but note that said warranty is pro-rated, meaning you have to pay to get a new one anyway by a certain percentage.

All in all, the cheapest battery will always be cheaper in the long run.

Best of luck to you and let us know how is goes
    Last edited by Boosted27606; 10-31-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    0 times

SeaLady - From your description it sounds more like the voltage regulator in your alternator may have gone haywire and is overcharging your battery.

I had this happen in one of my Lexus, but it wasn't OEM (I had a high-power aftermarket alternator to drive a big stereo) and actually overcharged two Optima yellow top batteries causing them to spew battery acid all over my engine bay before I figured out the problem.

You'll likely need to get your alternator replaced a rebuilt OEM one or maybe even one from a junkard will work.

If that is the problem since you have a history of issue with the battery and the dealer has tried to do something about it, I'd personally give a shot at asking them to diagnose and replace it since they likely missed it the first time even if your vehicle is out of warranty. Mention to your service advisor how many Lexus' you've bought from them, that you brought it in earlier and it wasn't diagnosed correctly and ask for them to cover it under "good will".
    Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-15-2009 at 11:54 AM.
    Tow: 2009 Tundra DC SR5 5.7 Mods and Adds: Prodigy, under seat storage, Avic-F90BT Nav w/ HD module, backup camera, TRD 18w/ CrossContact LX e-rated,
    glass break sensor, Homelink Mirror, Hardwired Valentine One w/ Blendmount, TRD rear sway, Valor tip, bed step, G4 tonneau Next: 35% tint, helper springs or bags
    Haul 2008 Continental Cargo Enclosed Car Hauler 22ft V-nose, Reese WDH
    Daily: 2005 Lexus LS430 Ultra-Luxury * PCS * ML * Rear Fridge * Massaging and Reclining Rear Seats * Vaistech SL-I * Coastal Lockpick
    Track: 1998 BMW E36 M3/4 track car (wife's)
    Float: Sea Ray 240 Sundeck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-01-2007, 08:48 AM