Downey Off Road Suspension

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Downey Off Road Suspension

Liked
    0 times

Default Downey Off Road Suspension

Has anybody used Downey Suspension to lift their Tundra? I installed Downey springs on my 96' Taco and have been throughly impressed. As it sits, this set up has 123,000 miles and counting on it. Just wondering. Seriously considering Downey Suspension to lift my future Tundra.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SIDEVIEW.JPG 
Views:	644 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	2217  
    Previous Trucks Owned:

1990 Toyota Xtra-Cab 2wd (145,000 miles)
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Ext. Cab 4wd (171,000 miles)
    2004 Toyota Tundra DC 4wd (Phantom Grey - 48,700 miles and counting)

Toyota truck user for 16 years and counting..........

Also known as Thibodeaux at the Fuge.

Gig'em Ag's (Class of '94)

Modifications on DC to date:
    3" Toytec lift, 1.5" Add-A-Leaf, Line X, Eagle Alloys Series 101 16x8 (3.60 B.S.), 285/75/R16's Cooper Discoverer ST's

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    505 times
    Images

check with T's Toy, i havent seen him post in a while, but he used their kit for a while on his tun.

-s

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    25 times
    Images

I used the Downey front coil-overs for about 20,000 miles. When you crank them up to get more lift they ride like solid steel. Another thing I noticed was the coating on the spring came off. I thought this was supposed to be some sort of powder coating, but it didn't last. Finally I was always fighting corrosion problems, having to constantly wipe off the threaded body and coat them with oil. I am using Donohoes now and am happy. The Downey stuff is entry level and not trick, although it is inexpensive. If you want them, I am going to sell my coil-overs in a week or so.
    2001 Factory Ivan Stewart edition.
    Undergoing a total rework
    Suspension: 3-link SAS w/ 12" coilovers Chrome moly arms w/R. E. flex joints, Alcan 7-leaf springs, home made shackle flip, U-bolt flip kit, homemade traction bar, Bilstien 5150 14" travel rear shocks on O.R.S. mounts
    Chassis/Steering/Brakes: rebuilt IFS steering box with 1.5" X 8" stroke ram, braided lines, , GM 1/2 ton master cyl, manual porpotioning valve, Classic Performance drop down battery box mounted under the bed
    Engine/Trans: Ongoing Cummins 6BT turbo-diesel conversion
    DriveTrain/Wheels/Tires: Front High Pinion Dana 60, 4.10, GM 14 full floating rear axle assembly w/disc brakes,
    Body and Armor: ARB front bumper, T-Max 9500, Synthetic winch rope, Delrin rollers, Line-X bed liner, Rhino coated homemade roof rack, snorkel, rock sliders, and rear bumper/slider, roof, and lower side body Rino liner coated, 4 Pro-Comp lights 130 watt driving lights, 2: roof rack, 2: bumper mounted
    Electrical/Other: VDO and TRD boost gages, AutoMeter EGT, dash mount gage pod Mega-Fuse electrical bus, Master electrical on/off switch

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Downey Offroad?

I was wondering if Downey was any good, I had a 1993 pickup with Downey susp. and it was pretty good. They sell a basic lift kit which had spacers and aal. Are these kits any good?
    -Russ

Liked
    242 times
    Images

Downey also has adjustable coilover kits. It's pretty much a threaded sleeve that slides onto the shock with a coil seat for spring. I think they sell it for about $400. Can't remember. IMO- spend a little more and get SAWS(standard or Teamest), Kings, Donahoe Racing or Bilstein aftermarket adjustable coilovers.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by dj russ
    I was wondering if Downey was any good, I had a 1993 pickup with Downey susp. and it was pretty good. They sell a basic lift kit which had spacers and aal. Are these kits any good?
    -Russ
    Their kits are engineered towards affordability.

Id reccomend a KING or DRE front coilover setup.

If you need lift in the back then the Deaver springs are worth looking at.
    Mods: Donahoe TCF coilovers, TC upper arms, rear Bilstein 5100s, Downey headers, 3" exhaust with Spintech Prostreet, BFG MT 285-70-17s on Helo Maxx 6 Chrome, Electric Brake controller. Tsunami RCA converter, PIE AUX adapter, LA Sound amp, MTX 10" band pass sub.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    505 times
    Images

afa the tundra is concerned, downey offers reasonable quality for a reasonable price. double heimed saws and internal limit straps are cool, but do you need them? if you want them but wouldnt really use them, can you justify roughly a grand for the setup? small high tech specialty items go by the "get what you pay for" model more than anything else. the downey kit is the yellow/blue bilsteins with an adjustable spring seat...basically it's the same as getting in-pack spacers but you can adjust the thickness of the spacer, and their coils have a higher spring rate but youll have to ask them specifically what the rate is, i dont remember.

-sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC