1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Type of SPring Compressor to use??

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default What Type of SPring Compressor to use??

I'm fixin to put a new sets of shocks on my Tundra and I was wondering if anyone could advise me what type of spring compressor I will need for the front springs? I've see a couple of different types on ebay or a buddy of mine said I could also rent one from my local auto shop.

Any help is appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    302 times
    Images

Rent a set from Autozone for free. You want the kind that is mounted on the outside of the spring. If you want to feel safe rent two sets. Using one set may scare you a bit when you start to compress the spring. The rod will start to bow outwards like this ")=(" If you have a compressor with an impact gun, it'll make the job go a lot faster.

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Harbor freight has them cheap too. Something like $9/pair. /Mike
    2001 2WD Silver Tundra: 4x4 TRD springs, Camburg Uniballs with adjustable Bilsteins, Carson AAL, red/blue Bilsteins in rear, 265/75 Yokohama A/T, IS kit(minus bumper) and rims(hand polished), Billet Wing Window Latch Upgrade, TC Steering Bushings, RF851X amp, Alpine HU, JL 6.5"XR comps, Qlogic with JL 8W3V2 subs. Stebel 300Hz Air Horn.
    202k miles and counting......

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L, black with gray interior.

Liked
    10 times
    Images

I posted my shock change result in the TRD forum where we ordered our shocks from. I'm almost certain the first compressor set I used was purchased maybe ten years ago from Harbor Freight and I've used it many times on Toyota car and Maxima struts. You should have seen what it did when I tried to use it on my Tundra front shocks. The threaded jack shaft bent like a saddle as I got close to the amount I needed to release the top plate. As it bent it allowed the spring to stretch back out. I couldn't even release the pressure on the jack screw it was bent so much. I ran up to AutoZone and bought (every rental/borrow tool I ever used was hammered) a much heavier constructed set of compressors. I had to use them to retain the spring while I cut the two Harbor Freight compressors off with a hacksaw before the whole works went flying.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by longwoodklon
    Harbor freight has them cheap too. Something like $9/pair. /Mike
    Exactly. Heres the link
    Link

You might want to buy 2 sets, cause with just 2 on they kind've bow pretty good. It will work, I just did it for safety and for $10 it was worth the safety.

Chad

2004 V8 TRD Offroad package SR5 4x2 Access Cab
    STEREO MODS: Pioneer 8600 headunit | jl 250/1 amp | Alpine 320/2 amp | kicker 65/2 door speakers | 2x 8" punch 2's in Q-Logic box under seat | XM pioneer gex-910 radio tuner | Harmon Kardon Plug and Play | Street wires set up | & dynamat
    Exterior Add-ons:2.5" King Coilovers | 4.5" TC Lift | Bilstein 5100 Rear shocks | AAL Rear | 4" rear block | 315/70/17 BFG AT's | 17x9" Boze Fatal's 3 5/8" B.S. | Custom steering shaft | Extended driveshaft | JBA Headers | Mangnaflow 14" muffler | Front Grille | Advance Cover | Bed Mat | Challenger Running boards | Window Tints | Debadged | AMI Antenna | Temp & Comp. rear view mirror | TRD oil & Radiotor caps | Clear Corners | X51 Fatboy Bulbs & IPF Wiring Harness | Backup Sensors
    Recently Added:ARB Airlocker with 4.56 gears.

Liked
    13 times

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by triggs75
    Exactly. Heres the link
    Link

You might want to buy 2 sets, cause with just 2 on they kind've bow pretty good. It will work, I just did it for safety and for $10 it was worth the safety.

Chad
    I did two Tundras using the spring compressor from Harbor Freight. The spring compressor did bow but did not break. My suggestion is save the bucks, just be careful when using it. I posted some pics of the springs on the compressor a couple of years ago. I'll locate them and post the links so you can view them.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic677_1.gif
    DAN

2001 Tundra SR5 V8 Desert Sand Mica

TRD Dual Exhaust | Bilsteins Shocks & HD TRD 4x4 Coil Springs | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | Westin Nerf Bars | Stainless Bed Rails | Bed Extender | Bed Liner | Form Fix Hood Protector | Custom Painted IS Grille & Mirror Covers | Stainless Tundra License Plate Frames | Custom Made Receiver Hitch | Totally De-Badged | Super Magnetic Oil Drain Plug | Mobil One Synthetic Oils | Custom Window Etching | Tinted Windows | Muth Signal Mirrors | Door Sill Protectors | Interior Rubber Mats | Gentex Temp & Comp Auto-Dim Rearview Mirror | Weatherflector Ventvisors | Complete Brake Upgrade | Truxedo Tonneau Cover| Michelin LTX M/S Tires

Liked
    10 times
    Images

Thumbs down Spring compressor photo's

Quote Originally Posted by LGL002
    I posted my shock change result in the TRD forum where we ordered our shocks from. I'm almost certain the first compressor set I used was purchased maybe ten years ago from Harbor Freight and I've used it many times on Toyota car and Maxima struts. You should have seen what it did when I tried to use it on my Tundra front shocks. The threaded jack shaft bent like a saddle as I got close to the amount I needed to release the top plate. As it bent it allowed the spring to stretch back out. I couldn't even release the pressure on the jack screw it was bent so much. I ran up to AutoZone and bought (every rental/borrow tool I ever used was hammered) a much heavier constructed set of compressors. I had to use them to retain the spring while I cut the two Harbor Freight compressors off with a hacksaw before the whole works went flying.

Larry
    For anyone that'll like to see what can happen using a spring compressor too light for the task I posted a couple pictures in my gallery. The one compressor I had to cut the tang off the clamp to remove it as I couldn't place the newer clamps opposite one another with it still in place. The amount of compression wouldn't allow the newer tool space for insertion. Fortunately the shock inside the coil limited the amount of inward bend the coil could go. The other one I had to leave in place until I used the newer clamps to compress the spring, change the shock, install and tighten the top cap and release the spring tension. Then I was able to twist it out of the spring coils. Needless to say I was very lucky that the spring didn't come unlatched and send spring or tool parts flying everywhere in my garage.
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    13 times

Sorry for the delay, got busy with stuff behind the scenes....

HERE is a compressed 4x4 spring to be loaded on a Bilstein shock with the spring compressor from Harbor Freight.

I do want to add two things:

1) You must have an impact wrench and air compressor to be able to rack these babies down slowly. As you can see in the photo the bow on the spring compressor.

2) If you decide to do it, be extremely careful! If these get loose they could cause some damage or pain!

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, you can go to various places and have someone else do it.

Good luck!
    Dan
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic677_1.gif
    DAN

2001 Tundra SR5 V8 Desert Sand Mica

TRD Dual Exhaust | Bilsteins Shocks & HD TRD 4x4 Coil Springs | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | Westin Nerf Bars | Stainless Bed Rails | Bed Extender | Bed Liner | Form Fix Hood Protector | Custom Painted IS Grille & Mirror Covers | Stainless Tundra License Plate Frames | Custom Made Receiver Hitch | Totally De-Badged | Super Magnetic Oil Drain Plug | Mobil One Synthetic Oils | Custom Window Etching | Tinted Windows | Muth Signal Mirrors | Door Sill Protectors | Interior Rubber Mats | Gentex Temp & Comp Auto-Dim Rearview Mirror | Weatherflector Ventvisors | Complete Brake Upgrade | Truxedo Tonneau Cover| Michelin LTX M/S Tires

KLS
    Liked
    4 times

Those Harbor Freight spring compressors are TOO cheap.

I have similar spring compressors, but they never flex noticeably. And, I have three to use at the same time. Much better.

Ken
    You get what you inspect
    Not what you expect.
    S&S Long Tube Hi-Torque Headers
    TRD/Eaton Limited Slip Differential
    Gibson exhaust system
    Hellwig Rear Antisway Bar
    Sylvania Xenarc H.I.D. X1010 Auxiliary Low Beam Driving Lights
    Schaeffer Engine Oil, ATF, Differential Oil
    Racor LFS22825 full-flow transmission filter
    Towing a 21' Bigfoot trailer using a Hensley Arrow hitch, Jordan brake controller, McKesh mirrors

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Great responses!! Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advise! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me out. I think I'll try out the 'free' rentals at my local auto zone and see where that gets me. I'll post my results once I'm finished.

Liked
    0 times

Default Replacing Tundra Shocks yourself

Could you please post those pics again? IM curious as to what Im up against

Quote Originally Posted by Possum
    Sorry for the delay, got busy with stuff behind the scenes....

HERE is a compressed 4x4 spring to be loaded on a Bilstein shock with the spring compressor from Harbor Freight.

I do want to add two things:

1) You must have an impact wrench and air compressor to be able to rack these babies down slowly. As you can see in the photo the bow on the spring compressor.

2) If you decide to do it, be extremely careful! If these get loose they could cause some damage or pain!

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, you can go to various places and have someone else do it.

Good luck!
    Dan

Liked
    0 times

My experience with the Autozone rentals was that one set was not capable of compressing the spring on my 4X4 so I had to go to Checker and get a second set. (These "rental tools" get used a lot and were not in very good shape to begin with) I absolutely agree with the previous post that suggested you take it to a shop somewhere if you are not comfortable with this process. Things could go horribly wrong if one breaks or slips off the spring, and the whole mess comes apart.
    Factory: Leather, Tow Pkg., Tundra Floor Mats, RS 3000 Security, Six Disc In-dash CD Changer, TRD Off Road Package, Toyota bed extender, auto-dimming mirror, and running boards
    Add-ons: INYATI bed liner, Lund hood deflector, Stainless Billet grille, Full tint, Tundra Door sill protectors, Putco s/s bed caps, Delta polished aluminum tool box, Whelen four-way strobe, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos 275/70/16's, Throttle Body and Relay/Fuse Billet Covers
    Performance: True Flow intake and air filter, 20% Underdrive pulley, Jet Hot SS Autochrome Headers, Power Stop Cross-drilled Rotors & Maxxis Pads, Flowmaster cat-back dual exhaust.
    Audio: Alpine V12 amp, Kicker two-way front speakers, Rockford-Fosgate two-way rear speakers, Boston Rally Neo 3r tweets, Phoenix Gold 500.1 sub amp, Twin Rockford-Fosgate 8's in a Q Logic sub enclosure, sound deadening, XM SKYFi2 Satellite Radio
    Suspension: Revtek 2.5" suspension lift ,1.5" rear leveling block, Hellwig anti-sway bar w/ ADDCO end links, TRD Red/Blue shocks, TRD Add-a-leafs
    Mods: Rear seat angle, Dome/ Dash/Fog/DRL and Cargo Light Mods,Under carriage lights, Ignition Key and Open Door Chime Mods, Silverstar head and fog lamps, Power tailgate lock

Liked
    479 times
    Images

Default Re: What Type of SPring Compressor to use??

I'll dust this thread off because I have a similar question.

Does anyone have any experience with a "clamshell" type spring compressor? I'm wary of using those $10 threaded-rod-and-hook jobs from Harbor Freight. I replaced the MacPherson struts on my Dodge Colt 25 years ago using such a tool and the things scared me to death.

Ideally, I'd get one of those hydraulic type compressors, but seeing as I will probably only do this once, I'm not sure it is worth $150. So I'd like to go with the clamshell if it works well. Harbor Freight has a clamshell for about $40.

Comments anyone?
    Ride: 2001 Tundra SR5, 4WD, The Lean Mean Green Machine, Lift, Front: Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks w/ Total Chaos Diff Drop, Lift, Rear: 1" Wheeler's Blocks, Wheels: Chromed Factory 4Runner Rims, 17", Tires: Bridgestone Revos, 285/70R-17, Performance: Unichip, JBA Titanium Ceramic Headers, Borla Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Optima Yellow-top Battery, "Powered by Decals" decal, Flux Capacitor, Brakes: Upgrade to 2004 Calipers, EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Interior: Dog Hair on Back Seat, Coffee Stains on Console, Bling: Ivan Stewart TRD Grille, Westin Nerf Bars, Clear Corners & Eurotails, Debadged, Audio: Kenwood DDX512 Head Unit, Kenwood KCA-XM100V Satellite Radio Interface, Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth Interface, Polk Audio db6501 component speakers (Front), Polk Audio db651s speakers (Rear), Profile AP740 4-channel amplifier, Rockford Fosgate 8 Punch subwoofer (x 2) in Q-Logic enclosure, Profile AP700M mono subwoofer amplifier, Audiovox ACA200W Rear-view camera, Shark Fin Antenna, Other: BedRug, Viair 450C compressor, 2.5 Gallon air tank, Kleinn Pro Series 4-Trumpet air horns, Eye Candy: Hottie Wife in Passenger Seat, Security System: One very large Collie and a High-Energy Shetland Sheepdog who isn't that big, but makes up for it in Tenacity.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

im about to lower my tundra and have to replace the front spring perches. after lowering a few cars with struts in the past (using rented compressors) im not even going to attempt to do the tundra struts. ill pull them out of the truck and take them to a shop with the proper wall mounted compressor. im not going to kill myself over the $30 they will charge.

Liked
    0 times

I recommend spend the extra coin and get a brand name spring compressor.
    I installed my Wheeler coils myself and when removing the stock coils the threaded studs were bent so bad it was scary,then when you add the beefier wheeler coils it actually gets dangerous!!!! I did get one wheeler installed with the cheap compressor but it actually broke while installing the 2nd one so I had to get my friend who works at a dealer help me with that one(his work has a really nice wall mounted compresser )

again it's too dangerous to go cheap IMO........ get a brand name not some chinese made crap......

p.s. when it broke it almost trashed my strut because only one side was holding it and the part of the strut that goes up through the top plate almost got bent(i was lucky it didn't)

2013 Tundra Rock Warrior..Husky Weatherbeater floor liners,Go Rhino Dominator 2 stepbars,Unique truckbox LineX'ed black....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.