Osram Rallye 70/65W UHE +50 H4 Replacement Bulb

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Osram Rallye 70/65W UHE +50 H4 Replacement Bulb

Liked
    2957 times
    Images

Thumbs up Osram Rallye 70/65W UHE +50 H4 Replacement Bulb

I installed these and what a difference! The main reasons I chose these over the alternative(s):

1. Increased light output, with 70/65W (2000/1350 lumens, High-Output Xenon) vs the OEM 60/55W
    2. Comparable lifespan to the stock OEM bulb sets
    3. Didn't want the risk of a melted wiring harness with the "high power" bulbs

They show a measurable increase in usable light output and, as the power draw increase is negligble, you avoid the risk of overheating your stock wiring harness and/or connector assemblies. Plus, you don't get into that 6-9 month replacement cycle with those other "high power" or "ultra" type bulbs out there. They are on sale right now, 2 for $35. Here's the link: Osram's 70/65W Ultra High Efficiency +50 H4 bulb.

I also purchased upgraded Osram MiniXen® 2886X mini wedge (W2.1×9.5d) base bulb for my license plate markers. They are 85 lumens vs the stock 75 lumens. $4.62 ea. Shipping was $9.15. Total was $58.37.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 02-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

Default Re: Osram Rallye 70/65W UHE +50 H4 Replacement Bulb

Hi DuffyAtkinson

I wish someone made an HIR drop in bulb with high and low. That technology did not progress very far, market wise, which is probably understandable with HID and LED systems arriving.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    2482 times
    Images

Who the heck is Duffy?
    Good to see some better bulbs that aren't HID, I don't want to go HID so I may look into those when I get a chance. My headlights aren't all too bright sometimes.
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    368 times

I have these and like them.

Liked
    1799 times
    Images

i've got the osram night breaker plus (+90) european bulbs in mine and love em. $31/pr shipped from the uk. http://www.powerbulbs.com/osram-nigh...at1=44&cat2=74
    Last edited by SuckersWalk; 09-23-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    2005 Tundra DC Limited 4wd - Phantom Gray Pearl

Search for your answer.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/106548-how-to-search-this-forum/

Liked
    2957 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Creosote View Post
    ...I wish someone made an HIR drop in bulb with high and low. That technology did not progress very far, market wise, which is probably understandable with HID and LED systems arriving.
    There is a new Philips 3rd Generation HIR bulb in the 9012 class (12.8V - 55W) that apparently is the tops when it comes to light output:

This 55-watt bulb is US DOT certified, with a nominal output of 1875 lumens, and
    is rated at approximately 25% more light from the same 55W bulb architecture. The 9012 series can be easily modded to fit into the 9006-class (HB4) base, in other words, we can use these in our 1-Gen foglights. Downside: they're expensive @ $32/ea.

I actually like this 9006 replacement bulb, and will probably pick up a set for my fogs.

Plus, they're $30 for the pair.

This is what they say about the bulb:
    Experience safety in details!

NARVA provides the perfect solution in diffused lighting situations: NARVA Contrast+. It will help you tackle all possible weather conditions. Problems like low contrast, glare effects and low sharpness are solved.

» More intensive contrast » Extreme sharpness of details » German Technology (E1)

Contrast+ bulbs are coated by a newly-developed filter to improve contrast and detailed viewing for safe driving. The special coating acts as an indifference filter. It lets pass only certain sections of the spectrum, in essence filtering out the blues that cause glare. The effect of Contrast+ leads to more contrast and sharpness due to the behavior and function of human vision.

The effect is well known by skiers. The filter is comparable to the use of polarized glasses that improves contrast and sharpness of snowy hills. NARVA Contrast+ leads to greater safety and reliability in all situations.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 09-23-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    69 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    I installed these and what a difference! The main reasons I chose these over the alternative(s):

1. Increased light output, with 70/65W (2000/1350 lumens) vs the OEM 60/55W
    2. Comparable lifespan to the stock OEM bulb sets
    3. Didn't want the risk of a melted wiring harness with the "high power" bulbs

They show a measurable increase in usable light output and, as the power draw increase is only marginal, you avoid the risk of overheating your stock wiring harness and/or connector assemblies. Plus, you don't get into that 6-9 month replacement cycle with those other "high power" or "ultra" type bulbs out there. They are $19.99/ea on sale right now. Here's the link: Osram's 70/65W ultra high efficacy +50 H4 bulb.

I also purchased upgraded Osram MiniXen® 2886X mini wedge (W2.1×9.5d) base bulb for my license plate markers. They are 85 lumens vs the stock 75 lumens. $4.62 ea. Shipping was $9.15. Total was $58.37.
    I applaud your practical three point approach Duffy.

Now think of even more improvement with high and low beam on separate relays and a HD harness. High and low beam are powered directly from the battery with the original headlamp switch triggering the relays.

Three years ago I fabricated my own HD headlamp harness with the assistance of Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and this wattage bulb was his personal preference to be used in concert with my HD headlamp harness.

My bulbs are 70/65 Osram Super Bright BILUX H4 Off Road with UV filter. The bulbs I'm using were manufactured in Augsburg, Germany. Osram bulbs appear to be a high quality product unlike some other manufacturers who rely on cheap labor from the far east. Check your packaging for country of origin as even Hella has started cutting corners.

I'm on my second set now. I logged about eighteen months on the first set before I had a low beam burn out on one bulb. So I replaced both with my spare set to avoid the inevitable failure of the other in a few months. I always keep a spare set in my console to avoid any run-ins with the gendarmes.

These bulbs in the 70/65 wattage configuration make a dramatic improvement over the stock 60/55 rated wattage bulbs. Ten watts doesn't sound like much improvement on paper but the results are impressive.
    "America has gone from the melting pot to the chamber pot." - Pat Buchanan
    Concession will not acknowledge equality but substitutes subservience for steadfastness.
    CBTMA member

Liked
    2957 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I applaud your practical three point approach Duffy.

Now think of even more improvement with high and low beam on separate relays and a HD harness. High and low beam are powered directly from the battery with the original headlamp switch triggering the relays.

Three years ago I fabricated my own HD headlamp harness with the assistance of Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and this wattage bulb was his personal preference to be used in concert with my HD headlamp harness.

My bulbs are 70/65 Osram Super Bright BILUX H4 Off Road with UV filter. The bulbs I'm using were manufactured in Augsburg, Germany. Osram bulbs appear to be a high quality product unlike some other manufacturers who rely on cheap labor from the far east. Check your packaging for country of origin as even Hella has started cutting corners.

These bulbs in the 70/65 wattage configuration make a dramatic improvement over the stock 60/55 rated wattage bulbs. Ten watts doesn't sound like much improvement on paper but the results are impressive.
    I remember reading about your headlight harness work; that was a little more than I was wanting to tackle. Plug-n-play for me!

These Osrams are the real deal, part #64205 in the blue box/orange stripe, manufactured in Augsburg Germany.

* * * Note to readers: these are technically not DOT-approved for highway use, so make sure that you have your headlights properly adjusted so as to minimize direct glare into oncoming traffic.

Liked
    2482 times
    Images

........Making me itchy... I haven't bothered to modify my lights..... unless aiming them counts.....hmm...............hmmm.......
    Is it just because I got cheap bulbs, or does it seem like after market bulbs just don't last that long? I haven't touched the bulbs on my Tundra, but on a different vehicle which I'm afraid to admit to owning, I changed out the bulbs and they only lasted about 2 years. They were cheap, so was that just a get what you pay for thing?
    "Drunk by noon but that's okay, I'll be President some day"
    - Sublime

Liked
    0 times

I have been using H4 80/100 bulbs in my 02 headlights and foglights for 9 years now with no problems. They are very bright and I will never go back.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    110 times

I'm another that has had at one time or another since 2004/new,

H4 80/100W

90/100W

And now 100/130W

Never a problem with glare or melting wires/housings/reflectors or anything.

I agree with you kenairmk. I have blown maybe 1 bulb in all my years. I replace them every now and then just because I think they might be dimming but they are probably perfect.
    Last edited by Thundra04struck; 01-25-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Liked
    2957 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thundra04struck View Post
    I'm another that has had at one time or another since 2004/new,

H4 80/100W

90/100W

And now 100/130W

Never a problem with glare or melting wires/housings/reflectors or anything.

I agree with you kenairmk. I have blown maybe 1 bulb in all my years. I replace them every now and then just because I think they might be dimming but they are probably perfect.
    I know how bright my 70/65W bulbs are so I can't imagine that the wattage bulbs you are running are safe for oncoming traffic - at the very least that amount of light is distracting. Why do you need to almost double the wattage? More isn't always better...

Veteran Member
    Liked
    110 times

I apoligize, I should not have put my review into your review.

Liked
    2957 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thundra04struck View Post
    I apoligize, I should not have put my review into your review.
    No worries. The topic's the same.

I was just curious if you ever get flashed by other drivers. Although I've never seen a side-by-side comparison of the stock to your wattage, it's just that a 130/100W bulb seems way beyond that required for normal driving.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    110 times

I have not only not been flashed, I have had my wife drive out at night with me to see what the effect really is and I drive a Corvette. We will drive toward each other and while in my Corvette, I don't see anything different from any other truck out there. The cutoff is the same, I can see more light on the road but anyone else sees about nothing.

Just this morning, she followed me in the Tundra and while she was behind me, I could again see no glare.

I know that HID's throw light all over the place but with the 80W, 90W and now 100W H4 bulbs I've been using, when I go to get inspected, the "hit"/pattern on the inspection board stays the same, just that the bulb puts out more light.

$13.99 for my current bulb. I've had 80/100W Eiko's, 90/100W Narva's and now have 100/130W Nite Brites.

I also have 80W clear 9006's in my foglight bulbs.

I have been running the same H4's in my snowmobiles with no issues.

I had read the "warnings" about melted housings/reflectors and wires for years. I've had none of them in any of my trucks or cars. I have 80W 9006's in my wifes 2006 RAV4, no problems at all.

I've also read where being "Flashed by other drivers" is not a good indication of glare as others are not usually willing to distract others/endanger others. It is why I have driven to parking lots/deserted roads with my wife to do some real-world testing on what higher wattage bulbs might/don't do to other drivers.

I do flash HID users as their light is the true danger out there.
    Last edited by Thundra04struck; 01-25-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM
  2. 06-27-2011, 02:23 AM