• 1 Post By severm
  • 1 Post By severm
  • 1 Post By usa2a
  • 1 Post By 01tundraDC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Cool MPG test

Since I am old, old, old school, I am going to run a test for better (hopefully) mpg's. I have been reading quite a few posts on it here and elsewhere and the one thing I come up with is that the so-called sweet spot is around 2500 rpm's. Since I do a lot of driving around town, I just filled the tank and am going to disable the overdrive. I am tired of bogging up hills and the tranny downshifting all the time. I have better power and pick-up doing this so far and hope all works out for the best. I will give an update on the results after a couple of tankfuls. If this has been done before, let me know how it worked out. I don't have a scangauge or other instruments to use at this time so, it is by the seat of my pants deductive reasoning, trial and error going on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Re: MPG test

Update on the 1st tank. All was going good until my son had to borrow the truck. As it is, 14.2 mpg totally in town. I found it hard to keep the foot out of it since the power felt so good on the hilly areas. I like not having the downshift since most of the time the speed limit is around 45 mph. That puts the tranny right in shift range too much on all the hills. The higher rpm's don't seem to affect the mpg very much if at all. Anyone else trying this? Am on the 2nd tank at present and will give an update by next week.
Highwaylizard and maltrix like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 08:34 AM
September Sky

Any updates?

325,848 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

The Side Project

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

2nd tank was not so good. Temperatures cooled off considerably. Figured 14.8 with 95% in-town driving. Ran the tank nearly dry with 316 miles on it. LOTS of short trips with one 20 mile highway thrown in. 3rd tank underway and is looking better so far with warmer temps most of this week until Friday. Another update next week.
Highwaylizard likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Another update. This tank was weird in that the gauge dropped from full to 3/4 quarters VERY FAST. Weather temps dropped somewhat for a couple of days. Once the gauge reached half, it slowed its rapid drop. I have figured that the Saturday garage sales the frau insists on are a mileage killer with the stop and go every half mile. Overall, got 14mpg with a little (30miles) highway. Continue to use with the overdrive off. It's hard to keep the foot out of it since it feels so good without the bogging in between gears and the constant downshifting with all the hills in this town. Don't know if I mentioned it is all stock and a 2004 DC with slightly larger tires (General AT 265/75/16 up from a 245 stock). Looking to upgrade soon with an exhaust and intake. A bathroom remodel will really put a crimp in this idea for a while.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 AM
September Sky

We have the same year truck and I have noticed similar behavior with the fuel gauge - how many miles do you have on it?

14-16 MPG is about what I am averaging but where I live it is all flat so I would say that's not bad mileage for your circumstances. I used to average in the low 20's on the highway but those days have been gone for awhile now. Trying to get things sorted out and back to those numbers.

2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, Ultragauge, Long Tubes with x-pipe and true duals,stock intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front and rear differentials, Cooper Discover ATP tires

The Side Project
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Hey Highway. Good to hear from an expert in the field. I love the truck. Bought it used several years ago from a friend who took good care of it. As for the mileage, I decided to try this experiment since years ago, as I vaguely remember, we never used 3rd in a column shift or 4th in a floor shift when cruising around town. Bogging was an embarrassment. I see little to no difference in the mileage around town and it feels much better not having that dreaded downshift on the slightest upgrades. This tank yielded 15.1 !! Amazing but, makes me wonder if I did something wrong in my figures. I double checked them and it came out the same each time. Went 325 mi. on the tank with some left over. The gas light had just come on. I had only one 25 mi. highway round trip in the mix. I like the way the truck feels running with overdrive turned off and it is almost automatic to turn it off when I get in now. If only I could keep my foot out of it on occasion but... I hope this helps everyone a little. Will continue to keep track and post. It is warm here and already had to use the air conditioner. That will be a mileage killer! We'll see how it goes under different conditions.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:49 AM
Rookie

I have an 05 Dbl Cab 4x4 and get the same results you do, but I leave mine in OD. My best tank so far is 15.3 and that was mostly highway with cruise control on.

Around town, some freeway and stop/go, I was getting 13 during the winter, now I'm getting 14.2. I usually get about 300 miles out of a tank or so. Oh, 89,000 miles on it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Lurking Member

Cool Re: MPG test

Hey Upnorth07. I used to leave mine in OD as well. I just got tired of the constant downshifting on these hills around town. Right now, I'm getting about 315 m. /tank and about 14.5mpg. My best tank mileage was 335 but I was sucking fumes to do that. I don't recommend it due to possible debris in the bottom of the tank getting sucked up. I usually fill up in the early morning due to the fact the gas is a little more "compressed" from cooler temps. It will expand slightly as it heats up. Gets me a little more in the tank. How much is hard to say and probably isn't enough to make much difference but anything helps.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Rookie

I just got an 04 dc and took it from Boston to Burlington VT. Left od on, had the downshifts up hillsides and averaged 16mpg. Got roughly 400 on the tank and the light didn't even come on yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:58 AM
Lurking Member

I have a 2006 and it gets 14.5 to 15.5 mpg. But if I tow my 5000 RV TT it gets only 8 to 9 mpg if lucky. Will remember to use the 2500 rpm sweet spot to test.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Lurking Member

I have an 01 access cab with a cab high fiberglass topper. My first quarter tank always goes by "quicker" obviously it's a weird thing about the gauge or how the sending unit works. The best I've ever gotten was 21.x. All highway and down in elevation on a trip. Then I put 285/75/16s on it and I'll never touch the 20s again. Making a similar trip I got 17 out of it but that's the best I've gotten with these tires. It does average 1-2 mpg better on trips now though since I've done 2 drain and fills to the trans fluid. Had never been done until I did it at 160,xxx miles.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 AM
September Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundraDC View Post
I have an 01 access cab with a cab high fiberglass topper. My first quarter tank always goes by "quicker" obviously it's a weird thing about the gauge or how the sending unit works. The best I've ever gotten was 21.x. All highway and down in elevation on a trip. Then I put 285/75/16s on it and I'll never touch the 20s again. Making a similar trip I got 17 out of it but that's the best I've gotten with these tires. It does average 1-2 mpg better on trips now though since I've done 2 drain and fills to the trans fluid. Had never been done until I did it at 160,xxx miles.

Regearing may help your mileage but it will hurt your wallet.

The Side Project
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 AM
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
Regearing may help your mileage but it will hurt your wallet.

I've considered it. But I also need to regear the project truck so it's not in my near future. The tundra has plenty of power still. Not very much lost when I swapped tires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page