Ram Air Intake Scoop In Bumper

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Ram Air Intake Scoop In Bumper

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Default Ram Air Intake Scoop In Bumper

Well, I have talked about this for awhile now but never really made any real progress until recently. Presently the Ram Air Intake Scoop is located under the bumper on the passenger side of the truck. A lot of people have said that the scoop is in an area of negative pressure and I even read a few websites that made this claim as well. However, I noticed that none of these websites made the statement in relation to pick-up trucks, and no one I talked to had actually tested it. I tested this location, along with several others, with a homemade manometer and found it to be in an area of high pressure.

Tundra Fuel Economy: Manometer

I knew that moving the scoop up in the bumper would place it in even higher pressure - and hopefully, cleaner air. In its present location it gathers quite a bit of grit from the road and salt during the winter. I also had an inordinate fear of the scoop being torn off by parking space concrete sleepers or high sidewalks.

I managed to score a nice sized sheet of black ABS plastic to use to fabricate the scoop out of. Tonight I took the resin bumper cover off of my truck to get my eyes and hands on the innards so that I can better understand what I have to work with in there. I created some patterns based on the available space in there and will begin drafting up some designs over the coming week. I will fabricate some mock-ups out of cardboard and test fit those possibly this weekend. The final design will be out of ABS plastic.

In designing Ram Air Intake Scoops there are several design considerations to be taken into account. The first consideration is the amount of air that needs to be gathered. Based on empirical testing data generated over the last several years I have come up with a a formula to calculate the scoop face area based on engine size, RPM's and MPH. The second consideration is the shape of the scoop. In order to create a true "Ram Air" affect the scoop needs to have a wide face that converges to the rear with walls that are smooth and with acute angles in relation to the forward travel of the truck - less than 30 degrees is ideal. The third consideration is the volume and depth of the scoop. The deeper the scoop the better. Last is how to get that air from the scoop to the air box and there really are not many attractive options here - just a lesser of the evils.

So, here are some preliminary pictures and I will continue to document the process as it moves along. I need to have this finished in a few weeks as the next project more or less fell into my lap. A long time member here and reader of my blog contacted me to see about donating a set of stainless steel JBA headers to me as a means of supporting my testing and research. The headers will be here in about a week and as soon as I have the gaskets, studs, and extra tools (torque wrench) the headers will go on the truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1621.jpg 
Views:	1475 
Size:	519.9 KB 
ID:	84101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1622.jpg 
Views:	1265 
Size:	485.2 KB 
ID:	84102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1624.jpg 
Views:	1349 
Size:	411.3 KB 
ID:	84103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1625.jpg 
Views:	1269 
Size:	416.2 KB 
ID:	84104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1626.jpg 
Views:	1288 
Size:	617.4 KB 
ID:	84105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1636.jpg 
Views:	1273 
Size:	609.3 KB 
ID:	84106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1637.jpg 
Views:	1204 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	84107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1638.jpg 
Views:	1231 
Size:	492.2 KB 
ID:	84108
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 03-06-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Spelling - DUH!!!
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    272,449 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Default Re: Ram Air Intake Scoop In Bumper

Having trouble finding ABS cement in stock at Lowe's and Home Depot but will keep looking around - someone is bound to have it. In the meantime here is a picture of the sheet of ABS I have in the garage. I know, I know - WOW that is really exciting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1644.jpg 
Views:	1234 
Size:	478.1 KB 
ID:	84178Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1645.jpg 
Views:	1141 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	84179
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Ultragauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, AFe open intake, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    15 times

courugated tubing is realy bad for air flow. Try just welding up a good 4" hard pipe

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by I20RIDER View Post
    courugated tubing is realy bad for air flow. Try just welding up a good 4" hard pipe
    I thought the same thing but according to this guy's research it has very little impact. I think the small ridges in the aluminum tubing probably helped with the laminar flow. My only complaint with this current tubing is that the aluminum rots out over time so I will probably move up to some urethane tubing.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Liked
    94 times
    Images

I use the black RV sewer pipe. The inlet is scientifically squished to the same height as the bumper opening and then just zip-tied to the grid to hold it on place. I'd be interested in an actual scoop......
    Highwaylizard likes this.
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra Thread

Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jim65wagon View Post
    I use the black RV sewer pipe. The inlet is scientifically squished to the same height as the bumper opening and then just zip-tied to the grid to hold it on place. I'd be interested in an actual scoop......
    I will be keeping my patterns and documenting the process as it moves along. Finally found some ABS cement today - ordered it through Grainger and it should be in sometime Monday. If I can find the time I will begin mock-ups this weekend.

If there is enough interest I will look into production and sales either through here as a Forum Sponsor or through my new website. Already have requests from second generation guys over on TT for a scoop for their trucks but waiting for a local member to provide a truck for mock-up and fabrication.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Liked
    15 times

Why not a more direct path.

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Why not a more direct path.

While your set-up may be a more direct path I am not sure that the grill does not offer turbulence or disturbance to the incoming air. The entire precept of Ram Air Intake Scoop is to gather a large amount of air and ram it into a smaller space. Although I have not tested your set-up I have tested the Ram Air Intake Scoop as currently on my truck and have documented improvements in fuel economy and performance. Knowing that this is a proven concept I have decided to move forward by relocating this up into my bumper. The more air I can ram into the engine the more efficient it becomes. If (and I am guessing on the size here) your intake tube is 4 inches in diameter and you are running at 2200 RPM's and 70 MPH then it would gather about 3 times the amount of air your engine needs. My research into the physics behind intake air showed me that F1 race cars (and a lot of other racers) want to see something on the order of 10 times the amount of air the engine can ingest being rammed into the intake in order to see beneficial gains. My scoop currently provides a little over 11 times that amount and the new scoop will provide a little more than 19 times that amount of air. The pressure increase from this overcomes residual vacuum and pumping inefficiencies.

Not saying your set-up does not work - just going with what I have tested and can support through data.
    AJUSA.com and seanpistol like this.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Liked
    15 times

Check your. IAT's. Then your intake vacume. And see what if reads.

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Check your. IAT's. Then your intake vacume. And see what if reads.
    My IAT's are within a degree or two of ambient. I have no way of reading the intake vacuum as of yet but would really like to know what is going on in that department. Probably my biggest complaint with the Scanguage is that it does not read MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure).
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 03-10-2012 at 02:22 AM.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Liked
    15 times

Damn. I stand corected

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Spent part of the evening working on patterns and trying to rectify the ideal scoop with the available space to work with. Hope to put together a mock-up tomorrow afternoon. Will post pics when the mock-up is done.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Liked
    94 times
    Images

I would like to make a general Ram Air observation:
    My intake has gone through several variations over the years. The last two years I've been using an old SSAutochrome intake tube with an AEM Dryflow filter. The filter is housed in a homemade airbox (from poly cutting boards, no less - I made it smaller than the OEM airbox so I could fit an air compressor under the hood).
    You can just see the air compressor behind the airbox

The airbox picked up air from the stock location, and was also fed through the grill via PVC pipe similar to IO2Rider's setup. This allowed (I guess - I did not have the scangauge then so I don't know if in fact the result was what I desired) for a mild semi-ram air effect, but still kept the fender pickup just in case I hit water offroad. (I always stopped and plugged the grill pickup before venturing offroad)

After getting the Scangauge I noticed I was averaging 14.8-15mpg back and forth to work. I decided( at least temporarily) to fully ramair-itize, the system. Both the fender pickup and the grill pickup

are now (yes!) black RV sewer pipe,

with the openings tie-strapped to the bumper grid opening (below the grill), no scoops, just expertly squished ends to fit the grid opening better.

Guess how well it worked? I'm averaging 16.5 now with an occasional 17 mpg on the same roads, and the same driving style.

Diggin' the ram-air, now if I can just make it offroad friendly without having to stop and plug an intake tube.....
    Last edited by jim65wagon; 03-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Highwaylizard and UPbuilder like this.
    The 200,000 Mile Tundra Thread

Movin' right along.In search of good times and good news,
    With good friends you can't lose, This could become a habit..
    Opportunity knocks once, let's reach out and grab it.
    Together we'll nab it. We'll hitch-hike, bus or yellow cab it!
    Cab it?

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Scored some Styrofoam late in the day yesterday and cut it to size and attempted to glue it using glue the store recommended. The glue was a waste. About an hour ago I took the unbonded pieces and sprayed Great Stuff on them and set them on the table saw with some books to press them together. Hopefully they will bond.

I will begin shaping the Styrofoam blank tomorrow and do some test fits. Once it is done I will take reverse measurements from the blank and use those to make templates for the ABS. I am eager to have this project done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1683.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	469.2 KB 
ID:	84830  
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Liked
    2023 times
    Images

Got some more work done on the new Ram Air Intake Scoop today. Got the blank carved and did an initial test fit in the bumper. This scoop design is a significant departure from my traditional designs. I am going to take a week to mull some things over in my mind and maybe do a couple more test fittings and possibly a design revision before fabricating the first prototype. Once I have the first prototype put together I will perform pressure testing and flow testing on it before going forward with cutting a hole in my bumper. I must admit a certain degree of anxiety when it comes to cutting a hole in my bumper but I would rather a hole in my resin bumper than cutting a hole in my metal hood.

At any rate, more pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1707.jpg 
Views:	748 
Size:	262.9 KB 
ID:	84887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1706.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	444.8 KB 
ID:	84886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1703.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	84885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1701.jpg 
Views:	746 
Size:	444.5 KB 
ID:	84884  
    Last edited by Highwaylizard; 03-21-2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Spelling dammit
    jim65wagon, arseum and UPbuilder like this.
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast