How to improve gas mileage

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to improve gas mileage

Liked
    0 times

Angry How to improve gas mileage

Hello,

I'm new to the group and also new to the world of own a truck. I owned a Toyota Solara which was very economical (my 1500 mile Canada vacation on 3 full tanks of gas come with no surprises).

However, yearly 05 I traded the Solara for a Tundra Step-Side and although I got the extra v8 'power' I wanted, but the overhead in gasoline is putting a hole in my pocket.:cry:

Fortunately my commute is short, but at least once a week I drive from Westford to Boston (about 38 miles), and my normal comsuption is about 15-16 miles a gallon.

Can anyone suggest anything to improve gas mileage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    10 times
    Images

Default Re: How to improve gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by tsouza
    Hello,

I'm new to the group and also new to the world of own a truck. I owned a Toyota Solara which was very economical (my 1500 mile Canada vacation on 3 full tanks of gas come with no surprises).

However, yearly 05 I traded the Solara for a Tundra Step-Side and although I got the extra v8 'power' I wanted, but the overhead in gasoline is putting a hole in my pocket.:cry:

Fortunately my commute is short, but at least once a week I drive from Westford to Boston (about 38 miles), and my normal comsuption is about 15-16 miles a gallon.

Can anyone suggest anything to improve gas mileage?
    Unfortunately the mileage you're getting is realistic for winter mileage in a V8 Tundra. The only practical way to try improve your mileage is to drive/accelerate smoothly and slower. If you want to toss money at it with minimal results there are all kinds of peddler claims out there that will have you siphoning gas out of your tank to keep it from overflowing.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    0 times

tsouza,

I agree with LGL002 the milage you get is right in there. I can get 18-19 on the hwy. but in town it is lucky to get 15-16 mpg.

I have even spent a small bundle on things I thought would help. No luck.

I added headers, electric fans, modified air filter w/ K&N element, new idenum plugs, vaccuum gage, hard toneau cover, larger dia. tires ,duals from the cats back, and even IS flairs to try and smooth out the sides of my truck. AND I just cant get 20 mpg @ 70 mph on the hwy.

I do see dropping a cruise speed by 5 to 10 mph seems to help, but it sure takes so much longer to cover a days drive.

Take care Tundraholic

Liked
    6 times

Drive the thing at 55 mph or bite the bullet. That's about what you will get
    geraldburchett likes this.
    2002 SR5 AccessCab 4x4 TRD
    Performance: Borla cat-back, K&N FIPK, Magnetic oil plug, 265/75/16 BFG AT, 16" Rage wheels, Tow package,TRD AAL

Appearance: Molly IS Grille, Sportmaster Tonnau, Clear corner and tail lights, IS mirror covers, Color keyed tailgate handle, Debadged, Window tint, VIN etched glass, Bugdeflector, Ventshades, Stepsheilds,Window Latch upgrade

System: Sony headunit,Sirius s50, 200w Kenwood amp, 10" Bazooka, Sony 10-disc, Infinity 6.5" speakers.

Still sitting in my basement: Cornfed spacers

2000 4RunnerSR5 4x4, Pro Comp stainless step bars, TRD drop in, Ventvisors and deflector.

2006 Kegerator stocked with SAM Adams Summer Ale

Liked
    0 times

Cool Re: How to improve gas mileage

Ouch!! Fortunatelly (or not), my driving is about 10 miles round trip to work. I can save in gas, but this leads into another question. Because of my short daily commute, will I have some bad/weird effect on my motor? Although I warm up the truck for a couple of minutes before I get going in the morning and before I leave the office, I'm not sure that is enough time. Any recomendations? Side effects I should be aware? Thank you.

Liked
    10 times
    Images

You shouldn't see any effects from your short drive other than a moisture/oil emulsion build up on the inside of your oil filler cap. This happens to a lot of us that don't make long runs during the cold weather that warm the engine enough to burn off the moisture. Definitely use the severe maintenance column in your manual as far as oil changes unless you take longer trips weekly. By the way Welcome to the group and enjoy your Tundra.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Liked
    0 times

Smile Re: How to improve gas mileage

Thank you for you kind words, everyone. Regards.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I bought a '96 Nissan Sentra for $1300 and only drive the Tundra on the weekends. You can't imagine the $$$$ I save on fuel. I save on the wear and tear on the truck and the resale value stays high because of the low mileage. Make sure your tires are properly inflated, air filter clean, and get an alignment once a year. Use regular gas because that is all that the Tundra requires. If you use the higher grades of gas you're wasting $$$$.
    2001 Tundra TRD Access Cab 4x4, Bilstein 5100's front shocks with TRD double cab springs, TC diff drop kit, Wheeler's Offroad AAL and Bilstein 5100's, LT265/75R16 Hankook ATM's on Wheeler's black alloys, True Flow intake tube with Amsoil Air Filter, JBA titanium coated headers, Magnaflow Magnapack 10426 with stainless steel pipes and resonator removed, Skidrow front skidplate with custom made aluminum side shields, extended rear diff breather hose, Hawk LTS brake pads, Wheelers stainless brake hose kit, Helweig swaybar, Porsche cv joint boots,TRD "posi" 3rd member, debadged, backseat-power outlet-map lamp-taillight mod, TRD mirror covers painted flat black, Viair 300P air compressor, blacked out mouldings, bumpers and grille emblem

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by cleanb13
    I bought a '96 Nissan Sentra for $1300 and only drive the Tundra on the weekends. You can't imagine the $$$$ I save on fuel.
    Oh yes I can... I do the same thing. Drive a '95.5 Tacoma during the week and my Tundra DC on the weekends. That's why my '04 DC only has 3500 actual miles one it! Even so, I let the fuel get below half of a tank this past weekend and the wife and I got into a little pissin' match, over filling it up since... "it only gets driven on weekends."
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanb13
    I save on the wear and tear on the truck and the resale value stays high because of the low mileage.
    Now if I could just get my wife to understand this... .
    2004 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 w/TRD Pkg.
    Mods to Date:
    16" 5 Spoke Brawn Enkei Wheels, Keyless Entry, Line-X Bed Liner, Challenger Running Boards, Husky Floor Liners, Bug Flector II (painted to match), Colegan Bra, Borla Dual (Side-Exit) Exhaust System, 2" Wheeler's Coil Lift, TRD Add-A-Leafs
    Mods to Come:
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's,
    Possible Mods:
    Seat Covers, 3M Clear Bra (hopefully... just cost so friggin' much!)

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I only have 700 miles on my '06 V8 Access Cab 4x2, but I have measured 17.8 and 17 mpg in combination driving (half around town, half highway/backroad). I have installed a modified exhaust system (3 inch single, Magnaflow, y-pipe - see photo gallery) a few hundred miles ago, but not certain what the mpg affect might be. My wife avergaes about 16 mpg doing the same type of driving in a Honda Pilot (3.5 V6). The difference? It's what you do with your right foot. I get the impression that few people really care about gas prices or how rich we make the oil companies when you notice how many people drive big cars with a lead foot. Go easy on initial acceleration, brake gradually, and stay close to the posted speed limit and your mileage may increase as much as 20 percent depending on how you normally drive. If you do this but throw in some abrupt passing moves on the freeway - there goes your savings. I'm hoping to hit 20 mpg on the freeway at 65 mph once the engine is fully broken in. We'll see. Now if Toyota could only solve that rough idle problem.

Liked
    0 times

Red face Re: How to improve gas mileage

Are there any new developments in improving mpg for the Tundra ... any aftermarket things that really do work?

I just shifted to the vanpool from work once gas hit $4/gal but I still drive 20 miles just to meet the vanpool (cutting my commute almost in half from 84 miles/day to 40 miles/day and saving me about $10/day).

My Tundra averages between 15.9 to 18 mpg. It's a 2005 4dr Ltd 2WD with the V8.

Liked
    8 times
    Images

I have an 05 DC 2wd and it used to get 15-16mpg now it seems to be staying at mid 14's Ran some B-12 through it and added a K&N, didn't seem to help
    "Lead, follow, or get out of the way" -Thomas Pain

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I have a '00 AC 4x4 with off-road tires and see about 12-13 city and 16-18 hwy depending on how fast I drive... and as far as aftermarket things, it order to break even on the up front price you will have to drive a very long time (because the effects/savings are very minimal if any)... the best way to get better gas mileage is to be light on the gas and coast as much as possible to stops... its a truck... its gonna have lower gas mileage than your solara. And as far as your short commute it shouldn't hurt it (I really only drive me truck a couple times a week to my college campus... only 4-5 miles each way).

All in all the best way to see gas mileage increase is to slow down to between 60 and 65. the best gas mileage I've seen (and I was fully loaded in the bed with a kitchen table and chairs strapped to my bedcover) was 18.5 and I was cruising at about 65 for a little over 300 miles.
    2000 Tundra TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Mods: AirRaid CAI, Flowmaster exhaust, Foglight Mod, FoxRacing front Coilsprings (2.5" lift), EBC Brakes and Rotors, BFG A/Ts, Blacked out Logo's and rims, Scanguage II, Eclipse NAV/CD/DVD, Bose Speakers and Custom box with 10" Alpine Sub.

135K miles and still going strong.

RTFM 1111 (Read The Freaking Manual for once):
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...1-rtfm-1111-a/

Liked
    1 times
    Images

If you are looking to mod your truck, do it because you want to mod it (i.e. for looks or sound etc.) don't mod it because you want to increase gas mileage... you just won't see realistic returns ever.
    2000 Tundra TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Mods: AirRaid CAI, Flowmaster exhaust, Foglight Mod, FoxRacing front Coilsprings (2.5" lift), EBC Brakes and Rotors, BFG A/Ts, Blacked out Logo's and rims, Scanguage II, Eclipse NAV/CD/DVD, Bose Speakers and Custom box with 10" Alpine Sub.

135K miles and still going strong.

RTFM 1111 (Read The Freaking Manual for once):
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...1-rtfm-1111-a/

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by matttom View Post
    Drive the thing at 55 mph or bite the bullet. That's about what you will get
    Yeah but it is so much fun heading out the gate and leaving the rest behind...

I have measured mine for a while now and 16.9 is where its holding. Testing the "removal of the charcoal filter" theory right now to give me 1mpg. We shall see. All it has done so far is increase the jump off the firing line..
    Last edited by RogueStatus; 01-19-2010 at 09:45 AM.

2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD: Viper Alarm System w/Remote Start,Side Step, BakFlip G2, 110V Power with WiFi, Clazzio's, Aero Exhaust System 3" 3030 w/MagnaFlow Y, Truxxx 3" Lift w/Toyo AT's seen hauling a Striper around the Bay Area... oh and more coming I am sure..... yeah its a disease-TundraItis.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.