2007 Tundra deafening - Reply to Topic

Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: 2007 Tundra deafening

Your Message

 

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)

 

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM
    Geordybass

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Quote Originally Posted by pdmted View Post
    You have to take "certified" with a grain of salt. I was looking at a 05ish Tundra at my local Toyota dealer years back and questioned it having oversized tires and being certified (it had 265/75 vs the stock 265/70), which is a fail for Toyota CPO and after a lot of beating around answering my question, he finally came out and and told me that is was their own dealers certification, and not Toyotas actual certification. They did this due to cost and 99.9% of consumers would never even realize this. It could be possible that this is the case at your dealer.
    Well Certification is done by technicians in the dealership a thorough inspection to qualify it to be warrantied because why warranty something that's going to cost your company money right? And looks like that wasnt a huge difference that would affect performance or the way the truck runs right? And as long as the 4 tires are above 5/32" of thread wear with all matching tires and ratings it's fine.. but apparently my dealership has the courtesy of changing the tires outright for brand new ones. We do hold a reputation in SoCal, but thanks!
  • 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM
    pdmted
    You have to take "certified" with a grain of salt. I was looking at a 05ish Tundra at my local Toyota dealer years back and questioned it having oversized tires and being certified (it had 265/75 vs the stock 265/70), which is a fail for Toyota CPO and after a lot of beating around answering my question, he finally came out and and told me that is was their own dealers certification, and not Toyotas actual certification. They did this due to cost and 99.9% of consumers would never even realize this. It could be possible that this is the case at your dealer.
  • 02-22-2012, 12:18 AM
    Geordybass

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Quote Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
    I agree that toyota has high quality standards and you might be a trustworthy salesman Gordy, but I still dont see what that has to do with having to be an oem exhaust system on a vehicle. I opened the link you provided.
    Perform emissions test and/or state inspection, if required
    That's all it says. Like any dealer, you have to perform a safety inspection of all the basics but that inspection sheet mostly just says check and make sure everything is working. So to me, as long as the OP's exhaust was free of leaks, he doesnt really have a leg to stand on. Not saying they wont toss an oem on there but I dont see why they have to. If they dont and he still really hates it, he could probably trade someone on here for theirs. Hell, there's proabably a bunch of guys who would just give him the oem system.
    Reason I said that about the exhaust because we had a 2012 Scion Tc that had an aftermarket exhaust and didnt even certify it and a few other cars that didnt meet the inspection we sell it, but doesn't mean there are problems though.. we have a huge inventory on certified cars and we have a lot of techs so my dealership stands for there work, and I do too. I'm a Toyota fanatic and I work for them too and enjoy it so its a plus for me! lol And well we have to recondition all the cars to Toyota's specs including brakes, fluids, the works even brand spankin new tires on all our cars, you know that of course! And thanks man!!
  • 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM
    JMSinMD

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Unfortunately 'certified' doesn't mean much more than an extended warranty. When I used to be a Toyota service adviser I was in charge of managing the tech that would certify the vehicles per Toyota's guidelines. He was a state inspector as well so he wasn't going to risk his name/etc to pass ANY vehicle that didn't strictly meet the guidelines. We had vehicles that showed clear signs of rollover, sludge, major accidents that he would fail and within a day or two you would see it on the lot being sold as Toyota Certified. The dealership management would falsify the paperwork and send it in to Toyota. One time we had a Matrix come back that I knew clearly wasn't passed because of sludge, the service manager and dealer manager fixed it and billed it to Toyota under a different VIN because it was sold as certified and they couldn't go back to Toyota saying there was sludge. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole because I refused to partake in any of their illicit activity.
  • 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
    carlsenga

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Ok, to the OP...you have NO idea on what a factory exhaust should sound like? You obviously had seen a tundra before out driving, which helped you decide that they are awesome. If it is as loud as you say, did you start the truck before you bought it? Or drive it? It should have been discussed during the test drive. Not tryin to ruffle feathers too bad but damn... Captain Obvious called in on this.
  • 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
    carlsenga

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Quote Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post
    The OP hasn't been back to the site since you guys started complaining about his hood scoop.
    He was on yesterday. Which was after those comments. Just sayin.....
  • 02-19-2012, 04:29 PM
    cheapskate

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo Jet View Post
    For the same reason we wouldnt let a loved one walk around in public with a bad toupee.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidT. View Post
    Get rid of that hood scoop asap. Looks ridiculous.
    Yeah, what you guys said. It's as ugly as step bars or tool boxes. Who would put something like that on their truck??????????????
  • 02-19-2012, 04:17 PM
    mendonsy

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    The OP hasn't been back to the site since you guys started complaining about his hood scoop.
  • 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM
    DavidT.

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Get rid of that hood scoop asap. Looks ridiculous.
  • 02-19-2012, 03:24 PM
    James 007

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    I would demand a true TRD Exhaust if they sold it as one or at a minimum a stock exhaust. I'm sorry but I hate the scoop if it were functional maybe but not for me, to each his own though.
  • 02-19-2012, 01:58 PM
    Jumbo Jet

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Quote Originally Posted by ebenke View Post
    Geez Folks....Why not help him out with the muffler issue as requested and cut him some slack on that hood scoop?
    For the same reason we wouldnt let a loved one walk around in public with a bad toupee.
  • 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM
    schins906

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    I agree, jump on the performance exhaust discussion and if there is no drone with your exhaust it is being search for.
    OR ! TURN OFF YOUR TRAC CONTROLL, start barking your tires on every take off, take corners a little faster. and it wont be
    long and your hormones will kick in and you ll love the system you have
  • 02-19-2012, 06:03 AM
    cheapskate

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Quote Originally Posted by Geordybass View Post
    Certification for a Toyota is of high standards, they come from the factory and there are guidelines that need to be followed, and if exhaust isn't stock or TRD it shouldn't be certified because it may affect performance, new owner may do whatever to their new purchase that's fine, but if it damages the vehicle in any way it'll not be covered under limited warranty. Tires all have to be at least 5/32 tread, one example of the guidelines.
    for more info:

    160 Point Inspection | Certified Used Toyota


    good luck!!
    I agree that toyota has high quality standards and you might be a trustworthy salesman Gordy, but I still dont see what that has to do with having to be an oem exhaust system on a vehicle. I opened the link you provided.
    Perform emissions test and/or state inspection, if required
    That's all it says. Like any dealer, you have to perform a safety inspection of all the basics but that inspection sheet mostly just says check and make sure everything is working. So to me, as long as the OP's exhaust was free of leaks, he doesnt really have a leg to stand on. Not saying they wont toss an oem on there but I dont see why they have to. If they dont and he still really hates it, he could probably trade someone on here for theirs. Hell, there's proabably a bunch of guys who would just give him the oem system.
  • 02-19-2012, 12:00 AM
    Geordybass

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Quote Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
    I dont see how a dealership cant certify a vehicle just because it doesnt have the stock exhaust. Does that go for tires, rims, oil filter, floor mats or anything else that a previous owner might have decided to change?
    To the OP,
    I get that maybe you dont like the exhaust and thats fine. Loud exhaust is not for everyone. But did you not test drive it before you bought it? If you didnt, maybe you should have. If you did, how could you not have noticed it?
    I feel bad that your new ride does not sound the way you like but seriously man caveat emptor.
    Certification for a Toyota is of high standards, they come from the factory and there are guidelines that need to be followed, and if exhaust isn't stock or TRD it shouldn't be certified because it may affect performance, new owner may do whatever to their new purchase that's fine, but if it damages the vehicle in any way it'll not be covered under limited warranty. Tires all have to be at least 5/32 tread, one example of the guidelines.
    for more info:

    160 Point Inspection | Certified Used Toyota


    good luck!!
  • 02-18-2012, 12:36 PM
    cheapskate

    Re: 2007 Tundra deafening

    Quote Originally Posted by Geordybass View Post
    My technicians at my dealership will not certify a car with aftermarket exhaust, so that shouldn't be certified.. and its usually a 12 month/12k mile comprehensive warranty and 100k/7yr (from original purchase date) powertrain, check again if it's certified, my lot would not put a truck like that out on the lot for sure.
    I dont see how a dealership cant certify a vehicle just because it doesnt have the stock exhaust. Does that go for tires, rims, oil filter, floor mats or anything else that a previous owner might have decided to change?
    To the OP,
    I get that maybe you dont like the exhaust and thats fine. Loud exhaust is not for everyone. But did you not test drive it before you bought it? If you didnt, maybe you should have. If you did, how could you not have noticed it?
    I feel bad that your new ride does not sound the way you like but seriously man caveat emptor.
This thread has more than 15 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •