i need help, my truck stuck in mud at Folsom -pic-

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i need help, my truck stuck in mud at Folsom -pic-

Liked
    6 times

Default i need help, my truck stuck in mud at Folsom -pic-

i suppose people who live in NorCal know where folsom is.. and the water has dropped big time. So me and couple of my friends went to check it out. I got a lift and put some Mud terrains so i was feeling a little adventurous!! Now the area where i was riding it was somewhat wet dirty sand, and i i was trying to make it accross from one area to the other, and it was going got with some wheel spin, but them it just sunk and the fun times were over!! and about 100 feet back any truck can drive by no problem.

I have lowered the pressure of the tires to about 10-15 psi, i didnt have a gauge but for about a minute each left the air out on each tire... had 50psi... We tried to use some thick sticks laying around, flat rocks, i had a shovel, and got all the mud from around the tires, but the belly is sitting on mud so it just spins the tires. The mud is like clay, swamp type mud, almost like quick sand mud.

There was a few more trucks stuck there at different locations of the lake, mine got stuck the worst because i have the best mud tires so i was able to go in the deepest haha

well i had to leave the truck there because it was getting dark and they close at 7 and i dont know what else to do... i have AAA road side membership but i dont know of they will be able to do much... i have about 100 feet of tow straps that i can link together, 100 feet is about how far someone would have to be to try to pull me out. Yet my friend on his ranger rover was trying, but my truck didnt really budge.

i was thinking getting a tow truck out there so they can hitch it and slowly pull it out, but i dont know if those tow trucks have a long enough cable... i dont know of any friends in sacramento who have 4x4s with mud tires or that have winches. Does anyone know of a place that i can call that would help me out? that has hinches with enough cable or get a tractor out there or something? please help... the folsom lake might rise and my truck will be under water

before and after picture

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    69 times
    Images

Default Re: i need help, my truck stuck in mud at Folsom -pic-

That's rough. I was stuck like that once and the only thing I could do was jack up the truck, put something (in my case it was short pieces of wood), under the tires until the body is off the ground.
    I don't have a penis...anymore

Liked
    6 times

cant exacly jack up when i stand in it and i sink knee deep lol maybe i can stick a raft under there and pump it up!!!

Liked
    207 times

2x4's my friend , I've been buried up to the frame and axles before as well. Wood works well. Dig the mud out away from the tires and put wood there on the original tracks that got you to where you are at. STUCK. Then rock it back and forth in Rev. and Drive Gears trying 4 HI , 4LO. Whatever works best the gain traction while keeping in the same ruts while backing out. Have fun.
    2003 Toyota Tundra V-8 Access Cab, 4.7L 4x4---(TRD supercharger removed....For Now)
    PolyDyn 3000 degree Ceramic Coated---S&S Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Catalytic Converters, OEM Toyota Gaskets, studs, nuts
    S&S Y-pipe, BAMuffler, Volant CAI w/ AMSOIL Ea Air Induction Filter # EaAU3560 & Pre-Filter
    305/65/17 BFG KM2 Muds on American Racing ATX: 17" Teflon Coated Aluminum Artillery Wheels
    MOTIVE 4.56 gears: Front & Rear Differential/Axle Bearings: KOYO bearings: Cryo'd, REM polished/Microblue Racing Coated
    Front IFS/Diff: ARB RD90 Locker, ORS Manual hub conversion, Fully Re-Inforced/Gusseted Spindle
    Donahoe Racing Coilovers (cranked 2.5")
    Total Chaos Upper Control Arms With TC Nylatron Bushing upgrade, Poly Rack Bushings.
    Rear Diff: ARB RD129 Locker, ICON 2.5"--- 11" travel piggyback resevoir Rear shocks w/ Deaver G57 10 pack rear springs, Custom U-Bolt Flip Conversion
    Custom 3" Body Lift: Upgraded Grade 8 / F911 1/2" bolts, DayStar Poly Cab Mount Kit
    Custom extended Steering Shaft for 3" BL
    Custom Fitted ARB Sahara Bumper for 3" body Lift with Fog Light Kit and HID converted KC SlimLites in Front and WARN 9.5XP winch.
    All 3: Skid-Row Skid-plates
    Stoptech ST-40 4 piston Calipers
    ---1 Piece: 340mm x 32mm Sport Rotors, Stoptech Street Performance brake pads

Just a Herbicidal maniac. Herbicidal's Avatar
    Liked
    99 times
    Images

Dang! You are stuck. It will probably take more than one truck to get you out. I have a winch with a 125' lead. Today I have a dentist appt. up in Lincoln after work so I wouldn't be able to help. Tomorrow is a possibility, I work in Rancho Cordova near Hazel and hwy 50 until 4pm. It might be possible to meet you out there after work. The sun sets @ 4:45. I've got a couple of tow straps too, but not 100' worth. You might make a few phone calls regarding tow trucks and cable lengths.

Thankfully no more rain is forecast for the next 5 days or so. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

*** 2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 5.7 liter SR5 4x4 with TRD and tow packages. Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift with Toyo Open Country M/T's - 285x75x18's. Hypertech speedo recalibrator. Ultra Motorsports 18" black rims with silver accents. N-Fab 6-step, wheel to wheel black nerf bars. G-Tek radiator air-dam and door sill protectors. Arma Coatings spray in bedliner and bumpers by On The Road Trucks in Rocklin, CA. De-badged. Black grill surround. RBP black exhaust tip. Air Lift 5000 air bags with WirelessOne remote. Amp Research bed step.
    *** 2008 Flint Mica Yaris aka: Vios 'S' sedan. TRD lowering springs, TRD cold air intake, TRD anti-sway bar for the rear, TRD Sportivo rear shocks and front struts. Tinted windows all the way around, Tanabe front shock tower brace, 17" rims - Samurai SC02 Hyper Black. Megan Racing header.
    *** 2009 Salsa Red Corolla 'S' 5-speed manual.Wife's ride. Back windows tinted, but otherwise stock.
    *** 2003 Silver Corolla 'S'. Daughters ride. Totally stock.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    2 times

make sure the engine still isnt reving when you switch it from drive. A freinds F 250 was stuck in mud and I was doing this to try and get it out. I heard a big snap in the front and the 4x4 went out.

Make sure you dont go too rough on the engine b/c if you loose the 4x4 your screwed.

Get a couple friends to help you and take 2 shovels and get to work. start from the front tires and dig back. Dig the same track you drove on and place wood. Take half a dozen 2x4's with you and place them underneat the front and rear tires.

I would also do the rope trick mentioned on a previous thread. Buy some THICK rope and wrap it around as much tire as you have access to.

How far are you from the closes place someone can pull you? you said 100ft back anyone can drive can one of your buddies get closer?
    If you do a little diggin some wood placing and the tires you should be able to get out.

I would also call your 4x4 acessory stores and see if they know anyone that can pull you out.

That is some SICK MUD good luck getting out and take more pics when you get out there so we see the area better.
    TUNDRA786
    2007 Tundra Crew Max 4.7 TRD 4x4
    285/65/18's with BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's
    BedRug, Undercover, Bed Extender, Husky Liners

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    2 times

Herbicidal your a good man!

Heck id be out there to help if i was close.

Damn tow trucks charge an arm and a leg. My buddies F250 got stuck in some sick mud and we were looking at 600 or more dollars to get it out
    TUNDRA786

Liked
    99 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TUNDRA786 View Post
    Herbicidal your a good man!

Heck id be out there to help if i was close.

Damn tow trucks charge an arm and a leg. My buddies F250 got stuck in some sick mud and we were looking at 600 or more dollars to get it out
    Just trying to help out a fellow Tundra owner. I also posted up in our NorCal 4x4 thread to see if anyone else in this area can lend a hand.

*** 2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 5.7 liter SR5 4x4 with TRD and tow packages. Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift with Toyo Open Country M/T's - 285x75x18's. Hypertech speedo recalibrator. Ultra Motorsports 18" black rims with silver accents. N-Fab 6-step, wheel to wheel black nerf bars. G-Tek radiator air-dam and door sill protectors. Arma Coatings spray in bedliner and bumpers by On The Road Trucks in Rocklin, CA. De-badged. Black grill surround. RBP black exhaust tip. Air Lift 5000 air bags with WirelessOne remote. Amp Research bed step.
    *** 2008 Flint Mica Yaris aka: Vios 'S' sedan. TRD lowering springs, TRD cold air intake, TRD anti-sway bar for the rear, TRD Sportivo rear shocks and front struts. Tinted windows all the way around, Tanabe front shock tower brace, 17" rims - Samurai SC02 Hyper Black. Megan Racing header.
    *** 2009 Salsa Red Corolla 'S' 5-speed manual.Wife's ride. Back windows tinted, but otherwise stock.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    2 times

i just read taht you already ahve 100ft of strap. someone should be able to pull you. Get someone to pull the person pulling you as well. and another if needed. Get 3 people in a line to pull you. Just make sure they all give steady gas and no jerking or straps will break. Lastly you might want to get a hydrolic jack (Sams gots em for like 10 bucks.)
    Jack front end up and put the wood down. Do the same with the back. (your gonan need some plywood to put under the jack)
    TUNDRA786

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    646 times
    Images

That is some impressive mud.

x2 to everything here! Hardware stores sell for about 10$ these loops of fairly thick colored rope, like parachute cord with inner strands and an outer shell. It's at least 3/8" thick, maybe 1/2" thick.

If you know any place where you could borrow a traction ladder of some sort...fiberglass or metal, like the grating I have or the old steel runway sections the AF used to use, or the aluminum ones you see with Land Rovers sometimes, they'll help a lot.

2x6 or whatever you can find under the wheels...the wider the better...and dig out as much from under the truck as possible, like you already found that's what's hanging you right now.

You can loop recovery straps together, they are really difficult to unloop when you're done, but might give enough length to attach a winch. I'll be amazed if you don't need a winch.

Even if all you have is a Jeep or LR with a winch, it could work if it's anchored to a larger rig. They're probably both gonna want low pressure as well since if they're pulling from the same slick surface they're just gonna pull themselves toward you.

Get a 0.99c tire gauge and drop them to 10psi, put it in low and give a little throttle while they're pulling...set the ebrake a little in the rear and put a little pressure on the brake pedal, it'll keep opposite wheels from spinning as easily. Do that with the ropes and I bet you're free.

That's all I got, good luck!

-Sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    0 times

Damn that is some mud, bet it was fun for a while haha

Gonna take some hard work and using everyones advice from above. Good Luck!
    2005 Tundra DC SR5
    265/70/17 bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos :: Rhino Lining Bed Protection :: UWS Black Diamond Plate Bed Box :: More in the near future

Liked
    6 times

me and my friend went out there at 7am... couple shovels, 3 hours of shoveling, some fence boards and 2x4s... called up tow truck out there so he can come out there before we were done with his international flatbed about 12,000lbs beast with 75 feet of cable to yank us out. He got stuck, i tried to give him a hand with the blue tundra no good... so we then hooked up about 150 feet of cable and chains to both tundras... yanked it a couple times to give it just to move a bit and then the beast took over by grabing on to anything and everything like a bat outta hell.

then we had to pull out the tow truck with the tundra... i gave him $70 and we called it even... fun times!

Liked
    99 times
    Images

Hey NickT916, glad to see you're out. If you and your friend wanna play with some other Tundra 4x4's check our little Nor Cal group out over in this thread. Feel free to post up in there if you have something going on. I hope once we get a little more snow up in the hills we can do a snow run. Maybe after the holiday's when everyones weekends aren't quite so busy.

Later!

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    2 times

the soft sand leading to the mud pit didnt look too bad. Im surprised no one could back up 30ft behind you and try tugging you. That sand looks nice and soft.
    TUNDRA786

Liked
    6 times

would i have to change tranny, rear end and front dif oils, take my brakes apart or anything because i left it over night in mud watery stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
    Hey NickT916, glad to see you're out. If you and your friend wanna play with some other Tundra 4x4's check our little Nor Cal group out over in this thread. Feel free to post up in there if you have something going on. I hope once we get a little more snow up in the hills we can do a snow run. Maybe after the holiday's when everyones weekends aren't quite so busy.

Later!
    yea that would be fun, ill check it out and post on there if anything, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TUNDRA786 View Post
    the soft sand leading to the mud pit didnt look too bad. Im surprised no one could back up 30ft behind you and try tugging you. That sand looks nice and soft.
    you can sorta see that about 30-40 behind the truck someone already tried pulling me out with a range rover, didnt even budge my truck because after those 30-40 the mud is like a swamp, i put my boots in and they dont come out haha, there was maybe about 5 other trucks that came to the lake with their boats, so i couldnt ask anyone else for help and my friends range rover was the only options at the time, and then the blue tundra took care of business

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast