Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Preferred Bed Cover?

26K views 89 replies 50 participants last post by  confederate2 
#1 ·
Best roll top cover?

I've been looking fairly hard into buying one of the bed covers that rolls back into a box. I've seen that a few different people make them (Pace Edwards, Retrax, Access, maybe more?). Does anyone have any experience with these? Is there anything in particular I should be looking at? Do you recommend one brand over the other? Where's the best place to buy? I think those are all the questions I can think of, any comments are greatly appreciated. :)
Bryon

#2 ·
Re: Best roll top cover?

Well there are many out there and it all depends on several factors: How much do you want to spend? Obviously, there are better quality products out there than others. Do you have an over-the-rail bedliner? If so, your options decrease severely. I have an over-the-rail bedliner and got a Truck Tec cover and it fits fine, but took some coercion to get on there and the bows "bow" a little more than usual. But overall I am satisfied with it. For pics, go into the "Cosmetic, Show, and Detailing" forum. I have a post there with pictures.
CBRbUrR

#3 ·

Thanks, I have a under the rail spray in liner. I also have the caps that come with the Tundra still on, but I'm willing to part with them if I need to. I'm looking for good quality and good looks, so I'm prepared to spend a little more for the good stuff. I've decided I dont want a soft top, too many problems in the past.
Bryon

#5 ·

I have the pace edwards with a spray on uner the rail to. I love it. It is perfect for what I use it for. Almost completely waterproof. A little sluggish in winter with snow and ice problems. But has never failed me yet. Way better, in my opinion, than any kind of snap on deal.
JP

#6 ·
#7 ·

Bryon, I have the Pace Edwards Trac Top with Bedrug and I have but one regret, that I didn't get the Bedlocker. Remote control would have been :cool:. The Trac Top sits flush with the bed so you can't see that it's there unless you are standing right over it. I don't really haul anything but my surfboards so it fits my needs very well. The fit is perfect and I get nothing but compliments. One thing to remember if you're thinking of installing it yourself is the bed of our trucks are narrower at the cab than at the tailgate. I used to have pics in "my photos" on the previous TS but........oh well.

#8 ·

Wow, I didn't realize that. Was the install complicated by this? I think I have it narrowed down to the Pace Edwards ($659), the Roll-N-Lock ($745), or the Retrax ($889). I'd like to get the bedlocker, but the price tag is a little too much for me ($1340). These are the best prices I've seen so far on the net. I haven't asked any of the local dealers, but I doubt they get any better than this. Anyone know any better places to buy (the figures I got were from http://www.davestonneaucovers.com
Dave's Tonneau Covers, thanks KLS)?
Bryon

#9 ·

Pace Edwards supplies shims in their kits, so you don't have to buy any other materials for the install. It took a few hours to install and that was with a Pace distributor/technician. Apparently I was the first Trac Top on the island so he wasn't too familiar with the clamps used in this particular cover. Save the money and do it yourself.

#10 ·
What kind of truck bed cover do you prefer?

I'd like to hear from all of you on your preference for a truck bed cover. I thought we could get a good discussion goings regarding truck bed covers so others could use it for future reference. Please include make and style with your opinion. Possibly a link to the maker.

I have a 2003 Access cab. I am trying to decide between a shell, or one of the many tonneau covers on the market.

The Snug Super Sport shell looks good, is very utilitarian and expensive. One big down side seems to be visibility. The rear window on my truck cab is tinted (clear window is not available) as is the rear window of the shell. My understanding is that looking through 2 pieces of tinted glass + 1 clear glass (front of shell) is going to make visibility nearly impossible. I’ve had shells in the past (no tinted glass) and liked to be able to just toss junk in the back and lock it up.

I’ve never had a Tonneau cover, but it looks like a good way to go. The roll up tonneau covers look easy to use, give good vertical access to the bed and are cheaper than most shells. In particular the Truxedo and Access look to be good quality - any preference between the two? Any one had experience with tonneau covers in general?

After some research I am considering buying this low profile, roll-up tonneau. It's a new cover from Truxedo, just released in October, 03. Rails are less than 1" above bed at a 29 degree angle. Also comes in colors. What do you think of it? http://www.tonneau-covers-etc.com/truxedo_lo_pro.htm

I'd like to hear your opinions on shells and tonneau covers, good and bad.

#12 ·
I have a SnugTop XV w/ a BedRug and Yakima Rack. I also have the 12V light and boot seal instead of the front window. Perfect color match and the fit is great. The only time it is hard to see out the windows is at night. One solution is to get some aux. lights and wire them to your reverse lights. Cheaper solution, just open the slider at night. My only complaint is that the boot sometimes leaks a little, but only when I am washing it.

#13 ·
Sumo99 said:
I have a boot seal instead of the front window. The only time it is hard to see out the windows is at night. One solution is to get some aux. lights and wire them to your reverse lights.
Great idea with the reverse lights. My previous truck shell also had a boot, which worked well. It was an old truck, so I did'nt care about the tape they put on the cab for the boot. With a brand new truck I hesitate to have the tape put on that new shiny paint. I am told the installers suggest to replace the tape every two years ...

My rear cab window is tinted, Is yours?

What is your visibility to the rear, driving down the road at night?

#14 ·
file014 said:
I am poor and dont really like to cover my truck ;) So when I need to put stuff in the back, I have a big rubbermaid tub that I just bungee down.
Sorry, as far as poor goes, no sympathy for a guy with a shiny new 2003 Tundra. I think the tub is brillant. I'm going to use one until I decide on a cover.

#15 ·
jibbydog said:
Great idea with the reverse lights. My previous truck shell also had a boot, which worked well. It was an old truck, so I did'nt care about the tape they put on the cab for the boot. With a brand new truck I hesitate to have the tape put on that new shiny paint. I am told the installers suggest to replace the tape every two years ...

My rear cab window is tinted, Is yours?

What is your visibility to the rear, driving down the road at night?
The boot of the SnugTop does not touch the paint of the cab so no need for the tape. Yes, my rear cab window is tinted so I have to look thru 2 tinted windows as well. Visibility out the back while driving isn't that bad at all. Only time it get's a little difficult is when I'm backing up at night, but then I just open up the slider and problem solved.

#17 ·
I personally don't like the big "turtle shell" as I call them covers and I also am not too fond of the fiberglass covers that match the paint of the truck. Ones that are very low profile, that don't rise above the bed of the truck are the ones I like and I haven't seen one yet for a Tundra. I'm not looking for any velcro or any cheaply made cover, something high quality.

#18 ·
Tundra Kid said:
I personally don't like the big "turtle shell" as I call them covers and I also am not too fond of the fiberglass covers that match the paint of the truck. Ones that are very low profile, that don't rise above the bed of the truck are the ones I like and I haven't seen one yet for a Tundra. I'm not looking for any velcro or any cheaply made cover, something high quality.
I agree with the kid! I don't care for the hard top covers. If I go to the store and want to buy a new couch, I want to be able to roll up the cover and take it home now not go home take off cover and return to the store to pick it up! I want one that flows with the lines of the truck and comes out to the edge of the bed. I don't like the snap look, I prefere the smooth look at the edges.

#19 ·
Roll Top;

I put a Retrax Roll top type on my truck.
I need to use the bed frequently.And need to lock it other times also.
There is no perfect soulution I have found.
All have a drawback.
I had a cab high "cap ,shell ,canopy" on my last truck.
I hated the visibility(lack of) on the last truck.
Having glass to load around is not good.
Theives can see whats in side.
But you can accomadate a lot of stuff you want out of the weather.
But at least with the cap the load only went throgh the back i.e: scratches.
The PE has a strong lock system.But I have seen a few that are beat up and not working.Water leaks are another issue also.
Good luck.
RichR

#20 ·
I've had a "Snuglid" toneau cover on my f150...while it looked great, this hard shell cover was heavy..it took two adults to remove the cover. When I traded the f150 in for my 2003 tundra limited stepside, I immediately found out that the options for a toneau cover for the stepside was limited. Undercover makes a great light hard shell cover however it won't work on the stepside. Snuglid and another manufacturer makes a color-matching hard shell fiberglass toneau cover but these are heavy. I've settled on the Truxedo soft cover. There is a "special" edition for the stepside and this cover uses Velcro to seal the side. I'll put it on next week and will drop a picture on the web for everyone to see.

later

Barry LeBoeuf

#21 ·
Access bed cover

jibbydog said:
I'd like to hear from all of you on your preference for a truck bed cover. I thought we could get a good discussion goings regarding truck bed covers so others could use it for future reference. Please include make and style with your opinion. Possibly a link to the maker.

I have a 2003 Access cab. I am trying to decide between a shell, or one of the many tonneau covers on the market.

The Snug Super Sport shell looks good, is very utilitarian and expensive. One big down side seems to be visibility. The rear window on my truck cab is tinted (clear window is not available) as is the rear window of the shell. My understanding is that looking through 2 pieces of tinted glass + 1 clear glass (front of shell) is going to make visibility nearly impossible. I’ve had shells in the past (no tinted glass) and liked to be able to just toss junk in the back and lock it up.

I’ve never had a Tonneau cover, but it looks like a good possibility. The roll up tonneau covers look easy to use, give good vertical access to the bed and are cheaper than most shells. Some of the vinyl ones look cheesy. Any one had experience with roll-up tonneau covers or just tonneau covers in general?

I have a 04 DC and have a Access Roll-up. tonneau cover.
I had the Toyota tonneau cover with the snaps on my 02
but like the access roll-up better, much easer to use.
And it really looks great. In northern Minnesota you need
a cover, to keep anything in the back.

#22 ·
What kind of bed cover do you prefer?

I Have Had Several Toneau Covers On My Trucks, Snaps, And Tuck Type, I Now Have A Extang Black Max , It Was A Price Thing 180.00. If I Was Doing It Again I Would Go With The Truxedo Roll Up It Is The Over All Best I Have Seen Or Worked With, In All Types Of Weather . It Rolls Up And Back In The Cold, Has No Bows To Mess With And Is A Real Clean Low Profile Look. There Was A Thread In Here The Other Day Were Someone Said They Bought One For 380.00 Which Is A Good Price ,if It Was That Price When I Was Looking I Would Have One Now.
Anyway Soft Is The Way To Go,easy To Open And Load By Yourself,and If Your Bed Is Covered No One See's To Steal,i Know Because My Miter Box Has Been In My Bed For A Week And Is Quite Comfortable. Also You Don't Have Open It To Haul Everything, Example 35 4x4's In The Tundra Under It, Tied Down And Drove Home. Got To Love It.
Mine Dose Not Leak Holds Snow,ice And Rain Runs Off,easy To Clean What More Is Their To Say.
Kevin

#23 ·
jibbydog said:

I’ve never had a Tonneau cover, but it looks like a good possibility. The roll up tonneau covers look easy to use, give good vertical access to the bed and are cheaper than most shells. Some of the vinyl ones look cheesy. Any one had experience with roll-up tonneau covers or just tonneau covers in general?

Check out this thread click here

#26 ·
jibbydog said:

I’ve never had a Tonneau cover, but it looks like a good way to go. The roll up tonneau covers look easy to use, give good vertical access to the bed and are cheaper than most shells. In particular the Truxedo and Access look to be good quality - any preference between the two? Any one had experience with tonneau covers in general?

After some research I am considering buying this low profile, roll-up tonneau. It's a new cover from Truxedo, just released in October, 03. Rails are less than 1" above bed at a 29 degree angle. Also comes in colors. What do you think of it? http://www.tonneau-covers-etc.com/truxedo_lo_pro.htm

I have the Truxedo on my 03 Stepside and love it. Looks good, stays tight, and under 30 minutes to install. Lifetime warranty and 334 bucks delivered to my door. Rolls up nicely and quickly if I need to haul something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.